Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Canuck <º)))><

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:38 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
You're about 40 years behind in Evolutionary Biology.
You have a very simplistic and ignorant view of evolution.
Just for starters, evolution is about reproduction, not survival.

Better talk to rharrington31 about that.
Just out of curiosity though, according to evolutionary theory reproduction was by cell division, easy and plentiful. If evolution is about ‘reproduction,’ why did we ever evolve past such an efficient form of it?
Also, how did we get from cell division to male – female reproduction. You would need an organism with fully evolved female genetalia to evolve at exactly the same time and the at the same place as an organism with fully evolved male genetalia of the same species, in order to reproduce, and this would need to happen all WITHIN ONE GENERATION!

Now you could posit that genetalia evolved gradually over time, and I could then ask what benefit an underevolved, non-functioning penis is but I’m not interested in an autobiography Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:41 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
canuck
It's hard to catch up to what I missed in this thread but let me just say you've exposed a huge lack of knowledge in evolutionary theory.
Pretty much every assumption you've made is incorrect.

Post your arguments, I will be glad to tackle them. But first, perhaps you could tell us how you account for the very concept of 'argumentation.' Argumentation presupposes universal laws of logic. How do you account for them according to your worldview?

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
PotHed wrote:
Burden of proof, dummy. I'm allowed to assume that your claim is wrong until you prove otherwise, which you haven't done.

Alright, is it your claim that the laws of logic can exist without God?

No. It is your claim that God is necessary. I need not claim the contrary to refute your claim.

Quote:

Is it your claim that that ethics, and the uniformity of nature can be accounted for without God?

No. It is your claim that God is necessary. I need not claim the contrary to refute your claim.

PotHed wrote:
Sometimes I just don't understand why people like yourself are so intentionally ignorant of your own misguided logic and unethical behavior in a discussion like this.

Well, if my logic is ‘misguided’ then you obviously ascribe to ‘guided’ or ‘proper’ logic. I am still waiting for you to tell us how you account for the universal, abstract invariant laws of logic according to your worldview. (Note that I originally asked this 2, and a half years ago – still no response).[/quote]
It is your claim that God is necessary. We need not claim the contrary to refute your claim.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:51 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
PotHed wrote:
Burden of proof, dummy. I'm allowed to assume that your claim is wrong until you prove otherwise, which you haven't done.

Alright, is it your claim that the laws of logic can exist without God?

Actually, you claim the contrary by default. You make claims about my reasoning being fallacious, but you have yet to account for the laws of logic at the foundation of your claim.
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
PotHed wrote:

Is it your claim that that ethics, and the uniformity of nature can be accounted for without God?

Actually, you claim the contrary by default. You make claims about ethics and science, but you have yet to account for the ethics and uniformity of nature at the foundation of your claim.
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
PotHed wrote:
Well, if my logic is ‘misguided’ then you obviously ascribe to ‘guided’ or ‘proper’ logic. I am still waiting for you to tell us how you account for the universal, abstract invariant laws of logic according to your worldview. (Note that I originally asked this 2, and a half years ago – still no response).

It is your claim that God is necessary. We need not claim the contrary to refute your claim.

Actually, you claim the contrary by default. Still though, how do you account for the universal, abstract, invariant laws of logic according to your worldview? (Don’t worry, I’m not holding my breath).

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:

You would need an organism with fully evolved female genetalia to evolve at exactly the same time and the at the same place as an organism with fully evolved male genetalia of the same species, in order to reproduce, and this would need to happen all WITHIN ONE GENERATION!

See there you go again spouting off things that you know nothing about.
There is an answer to your question, though it takes a book to answer it.
The book is called The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.
Put it on the list of books you won't read.

I won't attempt to shorten the answer for you because you'lljust come back with something inane like, "well then how do you account for the unchanging laws of blah blah blah".

FootFungas

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:54 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
FootFungas wrote:
There is evidence.

No there's not.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

PotHed wrote:
Oh come on. Be fair. We tried it your way for thousands of years. A few hundred years after we threw god out of the equation we landed on the moon.

Are you really crediting all major scientific developments of the past few hundred years to the rise of atheism?

Quote:
Again, you are scientifically illiterate.

Thanks. Yeah, I said evolution, what I meant was the commonly held view of the origin of basic life.

PotHed wrote:
Quote:
The theory has been worked to avoid any inclusion of anything supernatural.

Yeah. Duh. Where would we be today if we just used "Goddidit"? That sort of hypothesis is a dead-end. There is no reason to continue research if you think god did everything.
That is like saying I choose to ignore gravity, because it limits my research on why objects fall.

PotHed wrote:
Accountable for what? Are you calling me a child molester

Nope.
PotHed wrote:
or are you implying that we're all "sinners" according to the Bible?

Yep, all of us.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:58 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
See there you go again spouting off things that you know nothing about.
There is an answer to your question, though it takes a book to answer it.
The book is called The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.

Hmmm, you put faith in a book for your answers? How quaint Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:59 pm   Reply with quote         

If you want to start a new thread on Evolution, great. That's my specialty. Until then, I will answer these questions and these questions alone with the mutual understanding that they are irrelevant to the topic at hand.
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:

Better talk to rharrington31 about that.
Just out of curiosity though, according to evolutionary theory reproduction was by cell division, easy and plentiful. If evolution is about ‘reproduction,’ why did we ever evolve past such an efficient form of it?

We filled different niches.

Quote:
Also, how did we get from cell division to male – female reproduction.

Mating increases variation thereby increasing the rate of adaptation.

Quote:
You would need an organism with fully evolved female genetalia to evolve at exactly the same time and the at the same place as an organism with fully evolved male genetalia of the same species, in order to reproduce, and this would need to happen all WITHIN ONE GENERATION!

Wow, now you're over 100 years behind in Evolutionary Biology. The first sexual species was likely able to reproduce by both on its own and by sexual means. The more able it became to reproduce sexually and less dependent it became on spawning its own, the more variation and therefore adaptability, and therefore survival and ultimately more reproduction, and speciation.

Quote:
Now you could posit that genetalia evolved gradually over time, and I could then ask what benefit an underevolved, non-functioning penis is but I’m not interested in an autobiography Laughing Laughing

Yes, Canuck. I have an under-evolved (whatever you think you mean by this), non-functioning penis.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:

Hmmm, you put faith in a book for your answers? How quaint Laughing Laughing Laughing

Whoops, I predicted you'd have another smug and hollow reply that had nothing to do with my statement,
but this was close enough.

PotHed

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:

Actually, you claim the contrary by default. You make claims about my reasoning being fallacious, but you have yet to account for the laws of logic at the foundation of your claim.

Actually, you claim the contrary by default. You make claims about ethics and science, but you have yet to account for the ethics and uniformity of nature at the foundation of your claim.

Actually, you claim the contrary by default. Still though, how do you account for the universal, abstract, invariant laws of logic according to your worldview? (Don’t worry, I’m not holding my breath).

I do not "claim the contrary by default".

Now support your assertion. It's your thread about your site about your assertion. Now support it.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:10 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
If you want to start a new thread on Evolution, great. That's my specialty.

Not unitl you account for the logic with which you expound ANY theory.
PotHed wrote:
Mating increases variation thereby increasing the rate of adaptation.

Which is more efficient, cell division, or male – female reproduction?
PotHed wrote:
The first sexual species was likely able to reproduce by both on its own and by sexual means.

And the benefit of non-functioning genetalia again?
PotHed wrote:
Yes, Canuck. I have an under-evolved (whatever you think you mean by this), non-functioning penis.

A bold admission. I was only making a joke, but seeing as you have affirmed it, I both apologize, and will try my best to refrain from mockery.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:12 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
I do not "claim the contrary by default".

Sure you do, unless of course, you are claiming that there is no such thing as logic, in which case we can end this discussion right now.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
Whoops, I predicted you'd have another smug and hollow reply that had nothing to do with my statement, but this was close enough.

I learn fast. Laughing

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:19 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:

Does anyone else see the endless loop that this statement and response will lead to?

It's got a "Who's on first?" kind of feel to it.

FootFungas

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:19 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
PotHed wrote:
Canuck <º)))>< wrote:

Does anyone else see the endless loop that this statement and response will lead to?

It's got a "Who's on first?" kind of feel to it.

True. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.