Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

blue_lurker

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:54 am   Reply with quote         

Oh man ya gotta take the challenge of doom its cool dudes..... Cool

Canuck <º)))><

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:40 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
SONG OF DOUBT

If there's one thing I don't believe in
It's you
Dear God

Ok Splodge, I realize from the tone of your comments here and in chat over the last 2 days that you are not interested in reasoning, but for those who visit this thread I will offer a response to your 'rant.'

First of all, The song is not a "Song of Doubt." It looks to me as though he's made up his mind.

Now you raise the common objection to the existence of God being that "Evil and suffering, cannot exist in a world with an all powerful, all good God."

The problem is, in order to call anything 'bad', or 'evil', you need an objective standard of 'good.' What is 'evil' or 'bad' in an atheist's universe? What one 'bag of matter' does to another 'bag of matter,' or what happens to one advanced coagulation of 'primordial slime,' is TOTALLY irrelevant without an objective standard of goodness.

You need to borrow that standard from MY worldview, to condemn my worldview.

Tell me, what is your objective standard of goodness if God does not exist?
You bring up all kinds of evil in the world, tell me why is there any goodness?

God exists, AND there is evil in this world. WHY? For a reason which is perfectly sufficient for Him.

You may not like God (as is quite evident) for allowing evil , but you would have to show that God COULD NOT have a morally sufficient reason for allowing it, before you would have any grounds for denying Him.

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:41 am   Reply with quote         

OK...not being preachy, but here's a few facts on Buddhism...Next I'll do Islam...Then, Wicca...

Buddhism centers on correct understanding of human nature and ultimate reality. The Buddha was, after all, called the "Enlightened One." He taught that the way to eliminate suffering began with understanding the true nature of the world.

However, the Buddha considered knowledge important only insofar as it remains practical. He rejected speculation about such matters as God, the nature of the universe, and the afterlife, urging his followers to focus instead on the Four Noble Truths by which they can free themselves from suffering.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
OK...not being preachy, but here's a few facts on Buddhism...Next I'll do Islam...Then, Wicca...

Buddhism centers on correct understanding of human nature and ultimate reality. The Buddha was, after all, called the "Enlightened One." He taught that the way to eliminate suffering began with understanding the true nature of the world.

However, the Buddha considered knowledge important only insofar as it remains practical. He rejected speculation about such matters as God, the nature of the universe, and the afterlife, urging his followers to focus instead on the Four Noble Truths by which they can free themselves from suffering.

Unfortunately DP, Buddhism is toatally arbitrary. Maybe you should answer these questions before you move on.
Who determines what the "correct" understanding of human nature and ultimate reality is?
Who determines what being enlightened is?
Who determines who is enlightened?
What is the Buddhist's objective standard for goodness, or suffering?
What is truth in the Buddhist's universe?
Why should anyone believe Buddha over say Confucius?
What is the Buddhist's justification for universal, immaterial, unchanging laws?
How can people who have not been able to attain the "Noble Truth's in the past be able to attain them now?
How do Buddhist's deal with the guilt of their past transgressions?
When one does not have an answer for matters pertaining to God and the universe, isn't it a little too convenient to reject speculation on them?

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:18 pm   Reply with quote         

wow this is just so far out of my Photoshop knowledge it aint funny....
If I chop god does that prove he exisits

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

1. Buddhists do not pray to, or worship Buddha.
2. Buddhists believe that everyone has the power to become a Buddha, that the true nature of Buddha lives in all.

Buddha was a simple man, nothing more.
Jesus was a simple man, nothing more.

Historical documents prove that both individuals existed. Where is the historical data to back up the claim that God exists?

Furthermore...
All Buddhist teachings and practice come under the heading of Dharma, which means Truth and the path to Truth. The word Dharma also means “phenomena,” and in this way we can consider everything to be within the sphere of the teachings. All outer and inner phenomena, the mind and its surrounding environment, are understood to be inseparable and interdependent. In his own lifetime the Buddha came to understand that the notion that one exists as an isolated entity is an illusion. All things are interrelated; we are interconnected and do not have autonomous existence. Buddha said, “This is because that is; this is not because that is not; this is born because that is born; this dies because that dies.” The health of the whole is inseparably linked with the health of the parts, and the health of the parts is inseparably linked with the whole. Everything in life arises through causes and conditions.

The 4 Noble Truths:
The First Noble Truth is suffering. Life is full of misery: birth, ageing, sickness and death are all suffering. Though people strive for pleasure they receive only pain: sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, despair, contact with the hated and separation from the loved. And even if they do achieve a little happiness they soon tire of it and again become discontent.

The Second Noble Truth is the cause of suffering. Desire and greed always lead to dissatisfaction. Craving and attachment for sensual pleasures, the desire to end sorrow and the ambition to go on living: all these are the causes of rebirth, which brings further suffering.

The Third Noble Truth is the cessation of suffering. When craving and desire are relinquished, suffering and discontent end, and in their place comes satisfaction and peace.

The Four Noble Truths are Suffering, the Cause of Suffering, the Cessation of Suffering, and the Path to the Cessation of Suffering

The Fourth Noble Truth is the way to cessation of suffering. The Buddha taught a Middle Way, that avoided either excessive pleasure-seeking or excessive hardships. This middle way leads to enlightenment, and is called the Noble Eightfold Path.

Oh boy...a religious discussion...

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:25 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
wow this is just so far out of my Photoshop knowledge it aint funny....
If I chop god does that prove he exisits

Ain't this fun??? Mr. Green

ScionShade

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:26 pm   Reply with quote         

The guy has four links on a big page=
all stuff about God...the fourth of those links says
"I don't care" and if you click on it...it says "Thanks for visiting".
I never see anyone on this site attacked for posting threads to ;outside interests' they wish to share..if you don't like this guys outside interest ignore it...

mikey

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Cant we all just get along? Laughing amen.

Well I guess so but Im a pagan...have been for ages...like the white robes and the virgin thing aint big on the goats but ya take the good with the bad... Twisted Evil

I have been fortunate enough to be raised in a household that was not overtly religious. We never went to church, we never had Bible discussions. I was never baptized. The information was always readily available for me to form my OWN conclusions. I have studied Christianity, Buddhism, Islam and many other faiths of the world. One of my biggest problems was with so-called "organized" religions that essentially say "This is what is. It's in the Bible, so it has to be true. Everyone that doesn't believe how we believe is doomed to Hell. We must convert these poor souls from a life of eternal damnation". That, to me is nonsense.

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
The guy has four links on a big page=
all stuff about God...the fourth of those links says
"I don't care" and if you click on it...it says "Thanks for visiting".
I never see anyone on this site attacked for posting threads to ;outside interests' they wish to share..if you don't like this guys outside interest ignore it...

No, no...this isn't an attack per-se...more of a "discussion", if you will. I have already applauded his work on the site, it does not however work for me.

blue_lurker

Hey Shade click the thank you it goes to Disney on line and play the game at surf island...its so cool...

blue_lurker wrote:
Well I guess so but Im a pagan...have been for ages...like the white robes and the virgin thing aint big on the goats but ya take the good with the bad... Twisted Evil

Mmmmmm....gooooooooooats....

Canuck <º)))><

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:32 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
I have been fortunate enough to be raised in a household that was not overtly religious. We never went to church, we never had Bible discussions. I was never baptized. The information was always readily available for me to form my OWN conclusions. I have studied Christianity, Buddhism, Islam and many other faiths of the world. One of my biggest problems was with so-called "organized" religions that essentially say "This is what is. It's in the Bible, so it has to be true. Everyone that doesn't believe how we believe is doomed to Hell. We must convert these poor souls from a life of eternal damnation". That, to me is nonsense.

What is the objective standard for truth in your universe?

People cannot convert people. You have been misled.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.