Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Net neutrality - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ScionShade

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I figure this is gonna effect all of us one way or another.
Just in case you aren't keeping up on the news......
Personally, I'm pissed at the idea of government involvement
concerning the internet....I certainly prefer the internet the way it is, even with certain flaws as long as we don't end up with corporations (telecoms,cable)
actually running/controlfreaking the whole show.
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsp/article.php/3615136

mikey

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:51 pm   Reply with quote         

That's human carnal nature" Greed and a buck at any cost! Twisted Evil amen? Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Well, I just read that thang.

I also, just after reading it, took a couple asprin.

OUCH!

I am not smart enough to understand all of that, but I do get the part that Somebody (US) are getting the use of something (INTERNET) for "free" (BULLSHIT - it costs me $42 a month!) and that Somebody (The Man) wants to be getting MORE out of my wallet.

There is a great line from a Tom Petty song that (I roughly quote here) goes like "the Boys Upstairs just want to see / How much we'll pay for what we used to get for free!"

Welcome to Earth in the 3rd Millenium. Confused

ScionShade

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Mostly what i take away from it is--even though I pay over $60 US a month
for cable...The cable company doesn't like the idea that I could possibly
use something like SKYPE to make cheap phonecalls on the broadband that i pay for already and that SKYPE would now be charged a much much much higher rate for the broadband that they already pay for because they are in competition with the phone company in regards to 'telephony'..
that's just one example, but screw them..WE pay for the internet and ALL
the broadband..they wanna monopolize everything over that connection that makes money and that's utter bullshit..
imagine if you will...Comcast cable buys a large advertising firm, that has a LARGE
graphic design and web publishing department--
gueess what...you wanna sell yer graphic work over the internet? fine........pay
your $1000 per copywrit image fee for using THEIR broadband...
that you pay for.
This is up before congress right now...and this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Congress is on the side of the telecoms.

ScionShade

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:13 pm   Reply with quote         

And imagine this--cause this is what I am reading....
If you are on dial-up...you will automatically be assigned the lowest priority
on bandwidth....example...You'll NEVER watch a scrap of video
from the web again...you'll no longer be entitled to the bandwidth that video
and voice use. Even high speed broadband users will have to pay EXTRA
for all voice and video.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Forgive my cynicism, Rolling Eyes but we can always go back to reading books I guess Confused So you better get some before they all get burned by compassionate conservatives that are uniters and not dividers Shocked

Krank

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:26 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote
Quote:
Leave it to a lib to be use statements that cause division and
not even realize it.

Paul Von Stetina wrote

Quote:
Forgive my cynicism, Rolling Eyes but we can always go back to reading books I guess Confused So you better get some before they all get burned by compassionate conservatives that are uniters and not dividers

Niether comment is especially productive. If you want to be productive, go here.
http://www.savetheinternet.com/callcongress.php

ScionShade

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice.Good find Krank.

mikey

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Not to mention all the freakin commercials we get these days with cable!!! Rolling Eyes what are we paying for anyway? Evil or Very Mad

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:47 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah, this is one of those things that drive me crazy because we can't do anything about it...we don't want tiered internet! What happened to listening to the people?

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Scion,If I seem a bit confused here it's because I don't quite understand your point of view, I totally agree with what you are saying about the net neutrality issue, but yet you have let it be known that you support the current administration, the very ones that have given big corporations the power to screw you and the rest of us over, so please clarify to me and all of us here on psc where you stand, because it seems like you want it both ways, my last statement was made to show the contradiction of facts, and for that I'm a lib.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:26 pm Post subject:
ScionShade wrote
Quote:
Leave it to a lib to be use statements that cause division and
not even realize it.

And Krank that was a good find, but do you really think we have a chance against big companies that throw real money at politicians, to vote in their favor?

Krank

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:15 am   Reply with quote         

Paul, It worked with social security. Many Senators from both parties are sympathetic to Net Neutrality. I could almost guarantee they are not getting flooded with letters demanding they give away the store to the telcos. Politicians will occasionally do the right thing when they think enough voters are paying attention, especially in an election year.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:35 am   Reply with quote         

We can only hope that this won't happen. If it does, I don't know what i'll do...it's so rediculous! whats wrong with how the internet is now? The service providers are making their money, the internet businesses are making their money, free websites make their money by advertising, and other sites are paid for by the users. Everybody picks what kind of connection they want. If they want it really fast, they pay the extra money. If people don't care about the speed, they save money and use dial-up. Everybody wins! Why screw with it?

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:36 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
......., but yet you have let it be known that you support the current administration, the very ones that have given big corporations the power to screw you and the rest of us over, so please clarify to me and all of us here on psc where you stand, because it seems like you want it both ways, my last statement was made to show the contradiction of facts, and for that I'm a lib.

Blaming one politixcal party over another for the present state of 'corporate' power
is 'I think' a mistake. Thomas jefferson wrote at length that we would eventually be in this exact position over two hundred years ago..he KNEW it..it is failure on ALL OUR PART to have allowed this to happen.
Do I support the current administration? To about the same degree I supported the last
administration. I respected the office of the Presidency of Bill Clinton, although I did not vote for him. I in fact voted twice in the nineties for that crazy fella who would have avoided much of this.Yeah, I believe the guy was a nutter..a genious nutter..Frank Perdue...I mean Ross Perot.
Here's a blog entry I ran into a couple days ago---IMHO this is a fairly good collection of quotes and such that have been on Republican's minds over the last few years...
http://blogs.wizbangblog.com/2006/06/14/of-wmd-lies-and-democrats.php
......"because it seems like you want it both ways,"......of course I want it both ways..
to a degree..
this country is polarized betweeen two political ideals..."moderates" are in the minority..whether they are from one political group or another.

yello_piggy

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:21 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
this country is polarized betweeen two political ideals..."moderates" are in the minority..whether they are from one political group or another.

This is a western-worldwide phenomenom nowadays. Have a look at the results of the latest elections, when left and rights shared almost 50:50 of the votes and a few thousand votes decided - or people should believe this Evil or Very Mad Canada was close, Italy, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, ... and of course the USA twice. looks a bit weird to me and suspect of manipulation this 50:50-thing.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Net neutrality - Reply to topic