Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - merging vector layers - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:53 am   Reply with quote         

How do I merge two vector-based layers without rasterizing them?

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 am   Reply with quote         

Not really sure of this, but why not Group them in a smart object (I assume this is the english term (I've got a dutch version))

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:03 am   Reply with quote         

I need to know what the layers consist of. Are they the same color? Why do you need to merge them? Smart object is a very good way to join them if you have that version of Photoshop.

ReinMan

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:32 am   Reply with quote         

Did you create the vector image in Photoshop (using the pen tool for example) or did you create it in an outside application?

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:41 am   Reply with quote         

Basically I have two separate vector shapes I made with the pen tool in photoshop. I want to combine both shapes into one. I have version 7.0 just in case you were wondering.

Krank

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Select shape layer you want to copy from and select all. Hilight shape layer you want to copy to and go to the path menu. Select on the shape vector mask and paste. the added shape will be the same color as original shape layer.

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

um, thanks Krank, but that still doesn't really address my original question. Confused

anfa

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:25 am   Reply with quote         

Hehe, Reinman and his pen tool. Oooh he loves that thing, eh! Wink

ReinMan

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:37 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
Hehe, Reinman and his pen tool. Oooh he loves that thing, eh! Wink

Yes... Yes I do.
Cool

Okay - moire questions regarding WTF you are trying to accomplish here, Mr. ThreadStarter...

I assume, since you do not want to rastarize them, you want to maintain editability?
Why do you want them on one layer? Why not leave them alone on separate layers?
Huh? Question WHY? Question

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:10 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm trying to make a perfectly symmetrical shape. To do this, I drew one side and duplicated it to form the other side by flipping it. I could just leave both sides as separate layers but since I'm going to be making A LOT more symmetrical shapes in this image I'd like to keep the number of layers as low as possible so they're easier to work with (and more organized). Or is there an easier way to make symmetrical shapes with the pen tool?

ReinMan

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Okay - I'm working on this (I'm CURIOUS myself now!). I think I've got it...

Here's what you do:

1) turn on the RULERS and drag out a vertical line - this will be your REFLECTION point. Draw your image for the start and end points line up on that line.

2) click and DRAG the 1st layer down to the NEW PATH icon (beside the trash icon)

3) click on FREE TRANSFORM (cntrl+T) and then under EDIT choose FLIP HORIZONTAL

3a) drag the new flipped path to the other side of the "reflecting" line

4) CUT the flipped path (cntrl + X) - this way you know you've got it on the pasteboard

5) Click on the 1st PATH layer to activate it

6) PASTE

7) IMPORTANT: make sure no NODES are selected for the next step - click on the blank 2nd layer and back onto the 1st to clear any node selections

8 ) to test that it is working right, click on the Fill PATH button at the bottom of the PATHS pallette, if you've done it right the above whole thing should fill in!!

9) clean up - UNDO to clear test fill, and remove the 2nd PATH layer, it should be blank now anyway!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
And here it is again with PICTURES, because PICTURES is a FUN WAY TO LEARN!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry 'bout all the edits ~ this Micro-TUT is DONE!

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Sokinmon wrote:
I'm trying to make a perfectly symmetrical shape. To do this, I drew one side and duplicated it to form the other side by flipping it. I could just leave both sides as separate layers but since I'm going to be making A LOT more symmetrical shapes in this image I'd like to keep the number of layers as low as possible so they're easier to work with (and more organized). Or is there an easier way to make symmetrical shapes with the pen tool?

You can select the whole path and duplicate it and transform it - flip horizontal or flip vertical- I'm using an older PS version, so I don't have the black path selection tool, only the white path selection tool (its in the flyout menu of the pen tool, its keyboard shortcut is "A"). With the path selection tool chosen you can drag a rectangle around the entire path ( half-path in your case) and get it all selected that way. I think that the black selecton tool does that job in the newer PS versions, but not familiar enough to be sure.

Reinman's way to duplicate sounds like an effective one - there is another way to duplicate the path as well. This other way is to alt-click on the selected path and then immediately move it . That will move out a copy of the selected path - the new copy is completely selected and the original is deeslected, and they are on the same layer.

The transform under the edit menu should show choices like "free transform path" and "transform path" - the "flip " is in the flyout menu for the "transform path" . The "transform path - flip horizontal " choice will flip only the selected part - so it should act only the copy, as that is selected and the original is deselected.

For joining the two path parts togethr Reinman's got it for you - I didn't know that part.

other folks are more knowlegeable but I wanted to give it a try! And this works for my older PS (5.5 which was popular when dinosaurs roamed) and might not be exactly the same on newer versions

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:38 pm   Reply with quote         

what Reinman said!

ReinMan

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Evelyn - you certainly were on the right track!

I've cleaned up my workflow on that above, removed a bunch of steps to get the same result... Smile

And added some confusing diagrams so that NO ONE will actually be able to STEAL MY SECRET!!!!

BWAHH HA AHA HA HAA HA hhaha HAha ahhhh *cough cough* hoooooooo. . .

----------------------------
P.S. set a stand alone thread for this here: CLICKIN ZEE MOUSE HERE

Thanks for the good question, Sokinmon - I learned something MORE about Photoshop today! Smile
----------------------------

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for making that tutorial, ReinMan. The pictures helped a lot. I can now successfully make symmetrical vector shapes.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - merging vector layers - Reply to topic