Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Creating 3D Magic In Photoshop - Reply to topic

who_he

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi Folks...Thought you all might like this...

I was asked to try and simulate a stereo pair of images (3D) from a single image that can be viewed on a monitor using the "cross eyed" method. I did some research on the web and found a vast amount of info. There was nothing that really explained how to do it, so I had to just experiment. I came up with a method that works very well.

To view the images takes a little patience and practice, so I have included two images for this purpose. The first image is used to practice with to allow your eyes to focus properly. It is a simple image. The idea is to get your left eye to focus on the right image and your right eye to focus on the left image. Once you have succeeded you should be able to see the green object in the image floating over it's background centered between the pair of images which will then be out of focus. You can then just relax your eyes and you will see the image in near perfect 3D as if it were floating above the screen in front of you. Relax and you will then be able to look anywhere on the image while ignoring the background completely.

It's best to view the image in Photoshop on a black screen if you have PS. Your browser will also work fine since the images are placed on a black background. Download the image and open it in PS. Hit the letter f key 2 times to get the image onto a black screen. Hit the tab key to turn off the menus. Hold down the space bar and drag the image to an optimal place on the screen for viewing (PS CS). Sit back about three feet or so from your monitor. If your rulers are turned on then turn them off as well. Move your mouse curser to an area away from the images to prevent distraction.

If you are able to see the above image in 3D, then this next image will be startling. It is a true stereo pair that I found while researching. If you are able to focus properly and then relax your eyes you will swear you are looking at a perfect ViewMaster® image in full 3D. You should have no problem fully examining the image while remaining completely relaxed. This little guy should appear as though he is floating about a foot in front of your face.

Here is the simulated stereo pair that I created from a flat two D image and an explanation of how I accomplished it.

I created it after cropping the image and then optimizing it for the effect. I duplicated the image so I had to copies open at once. I took the right eye image (left image on screen) and duped the base layer. I then applied the emboss filter (Filter-Stylize-Emboss) using the following settings to the top layer. ANGLE = 180, Height = 4, Amount = 150. I then set the top layers blending mode to Soft Light. I then changed to the second copy (Left eye Image...right image on screen) and did the same steps as above but reversed the angle in the Emboss Filter to 0. I then set it's blend mode to Soft Light. I flattened each copy and placed them side by side on a new image with a black background making sure to place the images in the correct left and right placement.

The effect appeared to be reasonable at this point. To further advance the effect I did some dodging and burning on each image. I dodged in small amounts in several locations on the left image (seen with right eye) using various brush sizes and amounts with the brush set to highlight. I did some burning on the right image as above (seen with left eye) using the mid-tone setting. The idea here was to add some depth to the image. Since most people are right eye dominate, I thought it best to add the highlights to the left image seen with the right eye. I then cut a path around both objects in the image on the left and moved them closer together towards the center of the image. This is what really creates the depth in the image. I did not do anything to the right image at this point. It is important to move the objects in a horizontal manner only.

Here is the result:

MAGIC?...You decide. Wink

Paul Von Stetina

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey who he, these are great, most peeps have trouble seeing what you mean, so maybe this will help, look at the 2 images, cross your eye's until you see 3 images, then focus on the center image, at that point you will see the 3D effect, (click on the little green guy with his hand on his chin, larger is better) if you don't see it, you're screwed, your eye's will stay crossed for the rest of your life Shocked

FootFungas

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:55 pm   Reply with quote         

those are really cool

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:03 pm   Reply with quote         

great, I tried this a while back, and was partially sucessful. I even tried to to a
3d-esque GIF that moved around a bit, but that didn't work so well.

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I did this one, it's a little small though and kind of hard to get, good luck Shocked

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Creating 3D Magic In Photoshop - Reply to topic