Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Worms Worms Worms! Help Help, I have WORMS! - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ReinMan

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Click here for: Screen Shot

The above link to a screen capture of my monitor tells most of the tale; in the last few days whenever I come onto PSC I get that worm message (lower right hand side of the screenshot). I have also been getting it when I go to the first page of the Picture Assosiation thread.

When I turn OFF my Norton Worm Scanner all is good, but with it on I can't access the site if that warning shows up.

Anyone else been having this problem?

Thanks for your support of my continuing addiction to this frickin EEEEEVIL site. Twisted Evil

ScionShade

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:35 pm   Reply with quote         

well it's not likey to have anything to do w/ this site but is an .exe added onto yer browser---especially if yer usin' IE.
look for all the running progs on yer pc and search the ones ya don't immediately recognize on google.
G'd luck Bro.

ScionShade

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:37 pm   Reply with quote         

if yer having a hard time just stayin on-line screencapture ctrl+alt+del amd I'll do a search for ya.
ya may not wanna close norton cause it's keeping that exe from runnin.

mikey

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:46 pm   Reply with quote         

No worms but this guy had a case though! Laughing Shocked

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:10 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:

Oh mikey! I already have a hard time sleeping, thanks a lot Shocked

splodge

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Hallcross Toots
Micose

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:58 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:

is that your work Mikey ? this is really cool. Cool
mikey

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes Micose it is my work" I like a little variety Laughing remember it's only a photoshopped picture" Rolling Eyes Razz

Showcase

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinDude, I too have been accursed with the same affliction!
With Norton, if it detects a worm from an internet site, it blocks any and all traffic from the site it THINKS it came from for 30 minutes.

Why it detects one here, I do not have the answers...it happens to me off and on.
I wonder if JMH could have any insight?

Fear not though, for PSC will once again flourish in your browser after 30 minutes...unless you turn of the worm blocker. I'm not sure this is entirely a good thing.

Keep the faith...

ReinMan

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Scion - not sure what you is sayin' there, but I appreciate the attempt to help!

Splodge - thanks for that link. I'll give that a go.

Showcase - Yay! That is one thing I was looking for with this thread: finding out if I'm all by myself with this weirdness. Perhaps there are others? We are NOT alone.
What I've been doing is using the time-limited overide (15 minutes) in Norton and that lets me in right away.

I never used the worm setting until recently (it alwys bugged up my FTP with Dreamweaver) so I'm not sure how IMPORTANT it is. I suspect it is better left on though.

Perhaps this is God's way of telling me I waste too much time here Very Happy

JMH? You got any thoughts on this? (the WORM thing, not God! Wink )

ReinMan

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Another interesting thing is that MICOSE's thumbnail gets a RED X when this happens. Once I turn of the WORM PROTECT on Norton his thumbnail is viewable again.

I noticed this same thing happening on the Picture Assosiation thread in the past once or twice.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT! Shocked

(but then again, I know nothing about this stuff!)

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't know how much you want to trust me but I am a paid nerd (computer programmer) so I feel I know a bit about that which I speak.

First, IMHO, Norton sucks for home use (as does McAffee). I used to be a Norton Evangelist. Then their attention to home users slacked waaaaaayyyy off. There are now several virii that make it look like Norton is running when actually it isn't. Norton does not like to acknowledge this tidbit (even on their Symantec website). But it is true.

I use AVG. I have for years. I have a side business doing PC repair & servicing. At every virus call I've ever gone on I've installed AVG, disabled Norton and ran a scan with AVG. 98% of the time I find virus activity that Norton missed. Similar results with McAffee.

I've also found that Norton's "Internet Security" is a resource hog that causes more instability than protection. ZoneAlarm is a much better firewall. And if you have a router with a switch then you already have a "hardware firewall" anyway so a software firewall doesn't really do anything for you. Protect your router and your PC is invisible on the 'Net. You can verify this using ShieldsUp.

My advice is to download AVG and try it (after disabling/uninstalling Norton). Especially if you have all the original install CDs for Norton. Then you aren't really risking anything as you can always reinstall Norton if you need/want to.

AVG is free for home use
. You can get it at http://free.grisoft.com/ and see for yourself whether or not you like it. It has auto-updating, email scanning (incoming and outgoing), scheduled scanning, removable media scanning, on-demand scanning. And no I get no money/reimbursement from AVG for promoting their product. I simply believe in it.

Summary:

AVG - http://free.grisoft.com
ZoneAlarm - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en
GRC ShieldsUp Firewall Tester- https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
GRC LeakTest - http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
AdAware - http://www.lavasoft.de/images/download_button.gif
Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/

YMMV
Cool

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Had similar problem reindude...will send you a link that fixed my problems, its free and they are good, little slow on the feed back but they did fix my pc on line with little problems after wards

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:28 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
Why it detects one here, I do not have the answers...it happens to me off and on.

The problem is probably (likely definitely) not a problem with PSC. It's from hotlinking to an image on another webserver that might be infected (or that image was hotlinked as well.

You can probably determine which picture is bringing over the problme by disabling the option to display pictures within IE (Tools, Internet Options, Advanced Tab and uncheck the "Show Pictures" option in the Multimedia section). Then selectively use the "Show Picture" option in the context menu (right-click for windows users).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Worms Worms Worms! Help Help, I have WORMS! - Reply to topic