Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Providing Layered files - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ReyRey

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi all,
I've been supplying Layered files with all of my latest entries. I get asked how to do things a lot and I know that the best way for me to learn is to rip something apart and see what it is made of. So I thought I would start posting the layered files for people that wanted them. Understand that when I work on things for this contest, I am like a bull in a china shop, I attack it and I finish it quickly. I don't take time to label my layers or condense them like I would if I was at work. I have recieved a couple comments but I was wondering if people are getting anything out of these files. If they like the files, if they help anyone or if people could care less or if there is something else you would like (that does not take me too much time) Please let me know.
Thanks. Peace out!

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:48 pm   Reply with quote         

I like taking a look at entries in PSD format to see how it was done. I know that doing so gives one a greater idea of how much work was put into the chop. I would do it myself more often if I could.

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:50 pm   Reply with quote         

TBH ReyRey, i think what your doing is awesome, i downloaded the doorknob one the other day to see what it was you where supplying, I can only see this as a great aid to the members here. My only suggestion is that i feel you should really watermark every layer, I know it may make the overall image look a bit poo, but its not the look of the image that should concern the members but the build of the image.

There are many many scrupulous people out there who would love to boast as being the creator of such pieces, and having the psd is as much proof as anyone needs. Safe guard yourself mate, as i said its not the image members are wanting to understand, so a REYREY watermark shouldnt concern anyone wishing to learn from your generosity.

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

I think it's great! I've looked at many of your PSD files just to see how you did something and then I'm able to incorporate that technique into my next chop. It's a great learning tool!

I've provided the PSD file on mine upon request and I think it's great to share how we did something if there's someone that wants to know.

And I've only done stuff for this site (so far), so I haven't given much thought to someone stealing my work. Until recently, I didn't feel like my work was good enough for someone to want to steal it anyway. Laughing

I'm still not overly concerned about it, though. But something to keep in mind. Thanks for the heads-up, Meaty. (I know it was directed at Rey, but definitely something we could all think about).

ReyRey

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Meaty for the suggestion. I'm not too worried about anyone stealing this stuff. I'm not making any money off of it. Very Happy Besides, these are all built from someone elses photos that were on a web site. We are all stealing.....no? Shocked Laughing Thank again Meaty. Also thanks Mason and AZ. I appreciate the feedback. Wink

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I work like you do Rey, just throw it all together and no organization, but if I post one I usually clean up and make it look nice so it's easier to get stuff out of it.
ReyRey

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey That's a great idea Exclamation Idea ...I'll send them to Billtv first so he can organize them and then he will post them. Yeah...that's a great idea Very Happy Thanks for the idea Bill Laughing Wink Uuuuuuuummmmmmm....NO Cool Hahahaha
I'll try and do it on some of them but I can't on all of them. No time, Crying or Very sad

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

heh, I only organize it after i'm done with the chop. I'm the same as you guys, I try and do it all in one go, I hate dragging chops out. Once i'm on a roll, I don't stop until it's finished.

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you ReyRey for the psd files. They are a great help for me to learn new techniques and to help increase my chopping skills. I am still an amature compared to many members of this great site, but with you being so generous in showing how it is done, it will help me greatly.

Thank you! Very Happy

ReinMan

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:04 pm   Reply with quote         

One thing I'd like to see here is a new rule that states MODS can request a PSD file from any contest posting (or maybe just the winner?). It's not the complexity that is important - sometimes a chop can be very simple and win - but I think a lot of people vote on OOOOOH WOW MAN! and they don't even realize that 90% of the WOW part of a chop has nothing to do with the contest participant.

I, too, have put in a link to a PSD on some of my entries. It's a bit more work, but then I think this site is about learning - and like ReyRey's KNOB Razz PSD - looking at how something was actually created is a great benefit to anyone wanting to improve their chops.

So - share the PSD's if you can... espesically if you are a contest winner.

Give away what you know, and you'll have more room in your ol' noodle to learn something DIFFERENT! Smile

FootFungas

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:08 pm   Reply with quote         

I wish I could download the PSD files, but I have Dial-up. Mad

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:04 am   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:
I wish I could download the PSD files, but I have Dial-up. Mad

Use a download accelerator FF. Like Speedbit's DAP software. When I was on dial-up it was a lifesaver for downloading.

As for the .psds I'm happy to see them being shared! Rey's a true guru and it's great to see how his things were done. I can open the files in GIMP but they don't always translate well. Sean sent one to me that I was interested in and the layers were wonky so the effect I wanted to learn was effectively destroyed.

GIMP's format is .xcf and it can save to .psd but I'm not sure if there is a compatibility problem with PS reading them. For all I know PS might even be able to read .xcf files now. So if anyone wants my source files just ask and I'll happily post them. But my stuff is so simple that I don't think anyone would need to see the source file. Laughing

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:08 am   Reply with quote         

I don't even have anywhere to host them right now; I tried to upload a PSD for an upcoming chop I've done to my box.net account, but it's over 10mb, so I can't.

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:39 am   Reply with quote         

I too enjoy being able to check these out Rey.
if you have the time and its not too much bother (also if you still have the file)
I would LOVE to see how this one was done.

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/86552/happy-halloween.html

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:54 am   Reply with quote         

I think that one is long gone Shaman Crying or Very sad but I'll look around Wink

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Providing Layered files - Reply to topic