Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - I feel ill right now... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Okay. So this isn't a software question but it still is an "Ask the Experts" question.

Yesterday I broke my semi-brand-new digital camera. Crying or Very sad

We were decorating the deck for my daughter's 13th birthday. I set my camera down on the deck to tack a banner on the deck railing from outside the deck. Then I had to go up on the deck to tack the top in better. I forgot that the camera was there (hidden from view by a cooler) and I bumped it with my foot. Thinking I was sliding the cooler out of my way I pushed harder. Bottom line is my camera went sailing off the deck down about 6 feet and hit the ground.

So now the camera doesn't work. Well it works but it won't focus and it won't zoom in/out. The lens is fine (as in not broken anyway), the LCD screen is fine. The software on board works fine. So I'm thinking that the drive gears have been misaligned.

So my question is whether anyone knows if it'll be more expensive to get it fixed than it would be to just buy a new camera. The camera is an Olympus SP-500 UZ. I can't imagine that dropping it will be covered by the warranty and it's obviously been dropped as one corner is dinged up.

EDIT: The cheapest I've found the camera online is $244.55 (plus s/h)

ScionShade

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Go to their website...talk to the repair techs--get a repair number or whatever they require..mail it to them in a UPS box-or if yer very lucky they'll have a service locally.. mail it in..get it repeired.
Had to go through that w/ my cannon reb and had no problems.

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah I went to their website.

Olympus Service wrote:
Repair Pricing

An Olympus Customer Service Representative will provide you with an estimate as well as service options for your repair. Actual repair cost may change after the product is inspected by a technician. For questions, call (800) 622-6372, M-F, 8:30am to 7:00pm ET or email cpgwebmail@olympus.com.

The "Actual repair cost may change after the product is inspected by a technician." line scares me. Seems like an opening to say "well at first glance it will be $75 but after looking at the camera it will be $325 to fix it. Oh and it will take 3 months to get your camera back.". Confused There's only two service centers listed on their website. New York and California.

That's mainly why I was asking the group. I wondered what everyone else's experiences were when it came to repairing cameras.

Oh and I did email the address given. I described what happened and the error messages that the camera gives me.

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:34 pm   Reply with quote         

How new is semi-brand new? Maybe you can try returning it?

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Death of a Clown wrote:
How new is semi-brand new? Maybe you can try returning it?

It's the camera that I just bought for Christmas last December (2005) (this thread).

bx3800

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Having worked retail in the past.
I'd recommend throwing it in the gutter and getting another.

If the gears are misaligned it may turn out to be a reaccuring problem. I personally dont feel its worth the cost and headache to go thru their repair center.
But it never hurts to call and be honest with them either.

They may have a flat rate fee to repair most parts who knows??

my 2cents:. good luk with that.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:17 am   Reply with quote         

I had a brand new video camera break off a tripod and bounce accross the pavement, I sent it in and it got fixxed, works fine now, but the camera was @$1400 though, so I wasn't just going to buy another, sometimes they will send you another refurbished camera that does work, it may not be your original, but it will work, give it a shot to see how much they'll fix it for first, if you buy another, go with Nikon this time Tofu, you'll be glad you did. good luck

Cambria

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:44 am   Reply with quote         

Oh Chris... I know that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Sad Ouch. Hug

I had my camera slung over shoulder and it hit a fence post as I went thru a gate (damaging the on/off lever & the flash). I asked photog friends who they recommended for repairs & went there. It DID take 6 or so weeks... but they volunteered a loaner camera for a trip I was taking. I was also torn as far as... eat it & buy a new camera (cut my losses)... or buy the "new & improved version". I ended up getting it repaired after getting the estimate. So, it set me back a little over $100.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:59 am   Reply with quote         

BX: Unfortunately funds are low right now so buying a new camera isn't much of an option. If it's cheap enough to get fixed then I'll get it fixed. If it becomes a recurring problem then I'll definitely save my pennies.

PVS & Cambria: Thanks for the input on what you paid for repairs. I feel I'm in a grey area. The camera wasn't overly expensive (I think I paid $300) so anything over $100 for repair just isn't worth it in my opinion. I'd love to buy a better camera but I just can't afford much right now.

I'd be more than happy if they sent me a refurb of the same unit for ~ $100.

FootFungas

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

look in the fine print of the warranty see whats covered.
just call em up give them all the problems see if you can get an honest estimate.
or maybe see if anybody in the user forums can tell you what it cost them.

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:08 pm   Reply with quote         

I just went on Ebay.. and there is a reconditioned one for $108.50 (high bid at this point).
I just typed in digital camera with your model #. I've had lots of luck with Ebay - just be sure to check the seller's feedback & details.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Cambria wrote:
I just went on Ebay.. and there is a reconditioned one for $108.50 (high bid at this point).
I just typed in digital camera with your model #. I've had lots of luck with Ebay - just be sure to check the seller's feedback & details.

Yup. I've got bids in on a few cameras. Unfortunatey I have to drastically limit my highest bid amount. So who knows if I'll get one of them or not. I've also gotten the repair order form from Olympus so that I can send the camera in for an estimate.

My daughter loved the camera and she's been saving her birthday money for a digital camera of her own. So if I win one off eBay then I'll let her have that one if the cost of repairing mine is worth it. Otherwise the money for the repair will go toward my new camera.

On that note I've seen sever D50, D70 and D200 cameras for great prices on eBay.....

ScionShade

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 pm   Reply with quote         

You have the error messages?? Google them man--
there's tonds of forums w/ the repair instructions if you have the error code.

ReinMan

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Sorry to hear about your run-in with Gravity, mr. Tofu. Sad

In my experience, repairs USUALLY run about 50% of the camera value. In your case, soon as they find out it is an IMPACT problem, they will most likely NOT give you the lower end of the repair estimate. I sold cameras for years, and "impact" issues (specially a camera dropped over a 1/2 dozen feet!) is not something that excites repairmen... it excites salesmen. Huh..

That being said, you can always send it into the manufacturer and get a REAL quote. If it is too much, tell them to keep it - you are no worse off then if you chucked it into the dust bin right now. BUT, maybe, you'll get lucky and they's say they just happened to have some parts left over from another repair and they can fix yours up for 50 bucks. In any event, it is worth shit now, and for the cost of postage you can find out the actual repair price and then make an educated decision.

(my actual feelings are I would not really trust too far any camera that had the drop that yours did, no matter if it was "fully" repaired or not. But that's me.)

Good luck with your situation.

FootFungas

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:59 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
In any event, it is worth shit now

Not focusing isn't THAT big of an issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - I feel ill right now... - Reply to topic