Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - For Those Of Us Who Thought WE Had A Lot Of Megapixels... - Reply to topic

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:21 am   Reply with quote         

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

ok I'm an atheist but: "JEEZES CHRIST!!" Look at those details..
So far for privacy.. you can take a person picture from 'miles' away and even see the time on his wrist watch in full detail... Shocked

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

It's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeky.

ReinMan

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

Okay - so they got LOTS of pixels, and they STILL get a distorted image!

JEESH!

You'd think they'd had adjustable lens plates for horizontal and vertical shift. Normally you could adjust that in Photoshop, but I think even CS2 can't handle a 6 BILLION meg file! Shocked

Like, if your talking about hi-resolution cutting edge technology, make sure you build a good CAMERA to put that 9x5" sensor in, eh? Very Happy

bx3800

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:06 am   Reply with quote         

Damn my eyes hurt from reading the specs page:.
They need a different color font:.

Anyways suuuper cool technology.
Can I get this as camera phone??

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:13 am   Reply with quote         

ok thats just wrong Laughing Shocked

zoom/detail of the gods

bx3800

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:51 am   Reply with quote         

I see your point Rein!!
That image is way off center axis.
That rig does look a bit hokey tho:.
Did you see that thing??
Thats a big biiitch:.

Maybe their tripod was unbalanced or they were on uneven soil?? Or maybe theyre just a bunch of interns out partying town to town and were out of their drunken stupor long enough to hit the button??
Laughing Laughing

ReinMan

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Yup.... I just found it interesting that it seems (at least in that shot) that they forgot about some Camera Basics.

In film cameras of a "simular design" the front of the camera that holds the lens can tilt and slide, thus giving perspective shift and such in real time. Maybe you are right, BX... the techies just didn't know how to use that function of the camera for that shot!

---------

I've tried to read some more of the tech stuff - it is MIND NUMBING and maybe someone smarter than me (and there are LOTS of you) here can get a handle on it. But it seems that they use FILM to do this and then SCAN it. So it would seem that this is not an actual Digital Camera. Question Confused

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:10 pm   Reply with quote         

it's amazing how most of the megasuperpixelshots still end up like this

seamusoisin

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:27 pm   Reply with quote         

[quote="ReinMan"]Okay - so they got LOTS of pixels, and they STILL get a distorted image!

It's not the gun, it's the gunner!

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
ReinMan

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Its not the SIZE of the WAVE,
Its the MOTION of the OCEAN...

Very Happy

(er, um... I think that we might be talking about different things. Like YOU are talking about digital photography, and I'm talking about something that Nancers and I agree on!) Razz

mikey

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:15 pm   Reply with quote         

I think they are distorting the images because of commercial purposes" Rolling Eyes you know what I'm saying? Wink if you want the real thing, you've got to pay for it! Twisted Evil but there are some great source pics there! Razz

jerry717

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:45 am   Reply with quote         

This is an amazing website. I did read through the whole site because I find this shi er stuff very interesting. It is a film camera. They only consider it to be a digital process because after the processing of the film they are scanning it to digital. The final images are 24 gigabytes in size with 4 billion pixels. Photoshop is capable of handling an image this size but they had to design and build a computer that would allow editing of an image this size. The film is 9 x 18 inches and is placed on a vacuum back inside the camera. Also, the camera does have all the bells and whistles of any landscape camera (tilt and swing) as well as a very sophisticated laser focasing device.

Below are two exerpts from their FAQ:

Why quote 'pixels' when you use film?

Immediately after processing, each 9" x 18" exposure is digitally scanned then archived in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. All processing and printing are performed on the resulting one to four gigapixel digital scan. Therefore, the tangible output of the camera—and all that we ever see and work with—is a digital image at one to four billion pixels in size.

Incidentally, a four billion pixel, uncompressed, 16-bit per component image is a 24 gigabyte data file. Moving, copying, editing, processing, and printing files of this scale strains the boundaries of even the most robust image processing tools. Having accomplished such tasks for more than one hundred images certainly makes us feel that we are digital photographers even though we use film in the camera.

Color processing on files this size must take a special computer and software?

The printing section of the technical section has yet to be added; but in short: The equipment consists of a pair of custom-made PCs with the fastest available of anything going into them and being updated continually. Photoshop CS and CS2 will handle these large files; PS7 was unsatisfactory with its size restrictions on files and pixel dimensions.

I think I've found a new home. j/k Wink

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - For Those Of Us Who Thought WE Had A Lot Of Megapixels... - Reply to topic