Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - story behind the daily pics - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

EJH

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:42 pm   Reply with quote         

hey

A couple months ago, a picture I took of my parents' garden gnome was used for the source image...

http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/1788/roaming-gnome.html?l=

I went to visit them this past weekend, and printed out a bunch of your entries to show them... anyway, just wanted to say thanks, because they got a huge kick out of them... and were excited to know that they have a "famous" gnome Smile

(btw, the gnome usually travels around the yard since my dad likes to go out and move it around when no one is looking, but he enjoyed the adventures you guys sent the little guy on even more)

Lots of great entries in that contest, but in case you're wondering whose I gave to my parents... special thanks to Relic Oboogie, mason4300, dbbowling, Serps, Micose, tobster, Paul Von Stetina, Cambria, mikey, Grefex, jad3, arturojm, JeNyAwT, JAM, downward spiral, goofball84887, and Tonto.

Smile

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing

Paul Von Stetina

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:04 pm   Reply with quote         

That's cool EJH, I liked that picture, lots of great entries Very Happy

Micose

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Very Happy Cool Thx ur parents for us EJH but tell them to be carefull there's a worldwide sect that use to steal gnomes in gardens to put them back in forests (true)
EJH

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:
Very Happy Cool Thx ur parents for us EJH but tell them to be carefull there's a worldwide sect that use to steal gnomes in gardens to put them back in forests (true)

Shocked Oh no! Well, since there's a forest right behind where he sits in their back yard, hopefully the little guy will be safe...

EJH

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:10 pm   Reply with quote         

hey, I had an idea...

Often, I look at the daily pic and wonder who/what/where it is, or what significance it may have to the person who submitted it.

I can say from experience that when you have your submitted pic used for a contest, it's exciting and fun to see what people do with it, especially if it's a pic of something meaningful to you.

Maybe this thread can be a place where the authors can say something about their pics...

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I hear ya EJH, having one of your pictures selected for the contest is as good as winnig the contest, it's really an honor to see the other artist that you like and respect work on something that you provided, I've been lucky enough to have 6 pictures selected for the contest's, and all I can say is that when you are taking pictures to be submitted, think quality and not quantity, having the new feature that allows us to vote on the source is great, I think it will improve the overall quality of the submissions Very Happy

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

I'll play along E! I've had 10 shots accepted as sources.

Most recently I took a bunch of photos at Tesomas Scout Camp near Rhinelander Wisconsin. If any of you out there are parents of a boy scout I highly recommend that you get them to go to Tesomas for camp! Guaranteed good time.

Anyway I went all week looking for things that I thought would make for good source pics. So far it seems to have worked as Canoe Rescue, Take A Shot, Worm Wood are all from that trip.

Canoe Rescue:
The guys in the photo are practicing what's known as a "T-Rescue" for overturned canoes. The leader (buff guy) is Mike Willis. He was on a two-week break from college before heading off to boot camp. He drove from Utah to Wisconsin to volunteer those two weeks at Tesomas. Truly a wonderful guy. He got a kick out of the entries.

Take a Shot:
The young man holding the shotgun is KinGNiX here at PSC! Mr. Nix is now a freshman at BYUI and is a great guy. You want to know fishing or hunting? Talk to Nix or his dad. The event in the shot was the skeet shoot segment of the "Swat Team" competion at camp (we took 2nd place overall). Nix joined the site after looking through the entries in this contest. And yes he really is as much of a redneck as that shot makes it look like.

Worm Wood:
Just a shot of some of the wood that is all around Tesomas. Thought it looked cool and I wanted to see what people would do with it.

Other comps I've supplied the shots for:
Blue Ball - One of my dog's favorite toys.
Wooden Toy - Shot I got from a maker of fine wooden toys and puzzles.
Five Houses - Got from Greg Dean of the webcomic "RealLife". Nice guy and great comic.
Possession Arrow - Took that shot at a local high school varsity basketball game. My son and niece were part of the half-time show.
From the Stands - That's me brotha-in-law's melon! He's the fire chief where I live and all around great guy. Took that shot at the same basketball mentioned above.
Kitty Bowl - My daughter actually took that shot. That's her kitten "Millie". Runt cat with MEGA attitude. Cute little turd though.
Player Forty-Two - Took that at my nephew's varsity basketball game. No idea who the kid is but I knew it would be a great source. I really enjoyed that contest.

ReinMan

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:41 pm   Reply with quote         

I had one of those little gnomes under my bed once.

I used some bug spray, but that didn't work.

Then I stopped talking to it. That made it go away eventually.

Thank heavens for small favours, I say.

Argh

*staggers into the bathroom for more meds*

Kansas

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:43 am   Reply with quote         

I took a picture of Esters hands last year. She was in Aschwitz...Thought you guys might appreciate what she said.

These hands are why I am alive today. You see these big hands. They take my family from the home in Europe and they put us in the room and separated us. The man looks at nothing besides my hands. I am an ugly girl. Skinny as a toothpick and he looks at none of that. He wants to see my hands. These hands are why I am 90 years old. They are big and strong. I packed ammunition for the war. I did a good job with these hands and I lived. The others did not make it. They take them all away to the place..you know..I hate to say it out loud but I do. You know the gas chambers. I work hard and live because of these hands…

We are all from God. No one is any better than anyone else. I live far from the Synagogue, but God is in my house. He is everywhere. Be good to people when you get old and you try to become nicer. You push the days and try to please God.

Excerpt from my moments spent with Ester the 90 year old concentration camp survivor. [color=green]
[/color]

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

That's a powerful testimony! Shocked

mikey

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

I love you and you dont even care ejh

GooFY

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Just thought I'd finally give credit where it is due... this image is currently my desktop wallpaper and I get TONS of compliments on it. Thanks, DOAC, you are a gifted photographer. Smile

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/queue/large/65330117f79e867a3043a564448ad54c1c5afe9814751.jpg

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you very much. ^_^

GooFY wrote:
Just thought I'd finally give credit where it is due... this image is currently my desktop wallpaper and I get TONS of compliments on it. Thanks, DOAC, you are a gifted photographer. Smile

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/queue/large/65330117f79e867a3043a564448ad54c1c5afe9814751.jpg

EJH

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

ledirlo wrote:
I love you and you dont even care ejh

Michael Jackson loves me? I had no idea.

ooh, and he's even showing me... that's gotta be the best compliment I've gotten all year.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - story behind the daily pics - Reply to topic