Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC Home Page Needs a Re-design - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Dear JMH,

I have been looking at the homepage of the psc for a few weeks now. The placement of some of your modules (recent winners, latest winner, prizes, forums, etc) seem to me to be out of balance. I have redesigned your homepage to what i think would be better.

I would enjoy input from the rest of the PSC community as well as JMH. I do like the improvements to the site overall. My only problem is with the homepage layout.

Here is my PSC homepage redesign link:

http://www.photoshopdave.com/psc_db.jpg

Granted this layout is only for advantage members...non advantage members would have ads.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:18 pm   Reply with quote         

I like that redesign...

ScionShade

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:23 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't.
shows open contests first--which I don't even know which contrest they point to..is the one on the left today's contest? The one on the right?
And why would I want to see those first? I wanna see the best chop from the last closed contest first...since that's what the game is about.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:25 pm   Reply with quote         

A plague on both your houses, Scion.
Laughing

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:28 pm   Reply with quote         

scion shade...

In my redesign i put the most important things...ABOVE THE FOLD

1. Open Contest
2. Prizes
3. Recent Winner
4. Forum

All these will be seen by the user on the homepage without scrolling down. I do agree with you scionshade that JMH should have something on the open contests (3 days left, 2 days left, 1 day left).

-db

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:30 pm   Reply with quote         

JMH would enjoy everyones input

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:32 pm   Reply with quote         

This is very interesting. If any others would like to re-arrange the modules feel free and post them here. I have software tracking each click by percentage on every page. The open contest DO need to move up. I am not sure about the other things yet. Please consider the ad spots, and where you would want eyes to move so they get noticed. The weekly leaders cannot span the two columns with the variable/optional data that can be in the containers. Where would you locate the "new votes and comments" and the "my active entries" modules? During development I toyed with modules all over the place. I ended up really liking the imbalanced image heavy side to the left of a right-hand listed content area. That is just my personal preference though. Something I am slowly introducing around here Wink Eventually I hope to have time to build it so that they can be arranged by the user, just like news.google.com.

ScionShade

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:33 pm   Reply with quote         

That makes sense, but...
it just doesn't LOOK pretty. Smile

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Instead of having this weeks winners spanning two colums....

Have this weeks winners span one colum...and the other column have this months rising stars. Similar to the old site...and it would encourage the newbies

ScionShade

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:36 pm   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:
The open contest DO need to move up. I ended up really liking the imbalanced image heavy side to the left of a right-hand listed content area. That is just my personal preference though. Something I am slowly introducing around here Wink

Agree with yer placement preference..it has to look good.
Moving up open contest...they need more info--which opened today--which one is about to close.
Just going to vote if ya miss a day means backpaging to find the contest that closes tomorrow.
I've been getting very little voting done on account of the frustrating navigation there.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:38 pm   Reply with quote         

It's ok, I like how the prizes and open contests are arranged much more, I would switch the Winner with the Forum module. Seems more natural to me.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Just noticed the "New Votes and Comments " for the first time...
very nice.

FootFungas

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I like it pretty much the way it is. Maybe more gray binding boxes.
And it would be cool if you brought back rising stars. Even though my time is past Crying or Very sad

jerry717

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:53 pm   Reply with quote         

It took me a bit to get used to, but I like it the way it is. If it were user editable that would be cool too.

ScionShade wrote:
Just noticed the "New Votes and Comments " for the first time...
very nice.

Wow, you must have just entered a recent contest..hope it's not one I'm in. Very Happy
Jerry

Marx-Man

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Personal veiw i expected a photoshopped backgroubnd for chop shop...like a theme of chop..

Like a note board with photos pinned to it with the title recent entries and so on.. anbd text written on notes of paper pinned to the board... but that would lag the site... but it would look interesting.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC Home Page Needs a Re-design - Reply to topic