Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC Home Page Needs a Re-design - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mikey

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:55 pm   Reply with quote         

The "new votes and comments" seems to take up a whole lot of room" Rolling Eyes my 1 cent so far ~

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't care too much about how it is laid out, except for definitely moving the open contests to the very top, I really feel those need to be more obvious. Thanks for the suggestions db.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:52 am   Reply with quote         

small thing I might add, the news module is rather hidden in the current and re-design.

I know this is not something wich changes often, but that's just an important reason to move it up or atleast give a notification if a new news item is made.

In the past months I've been here none of those news items have ever been noticed by me on the day they were made, the only reason I saw them is either by word of mouth in the forums or by deliberately going to the news page just to check if there's any news.

A tought you might consider..

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:05 am   Reply with quote         

Hey DB do you have pictures in chat on your site mate.....I kid, I kid Laughing

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:01 pm   Reply with quote         

I've noticed a few changes in the site today...i appreciate all the work you've done JMH. Now back to our regularly scheduled chop....

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I think the site looks pretty good the way it is. If I were asked to change anything, it would be what I have below.

Here's just a quick re-arrange that I put together (no huge changes). I rearranged some of the components, removed some of the recent winners, and added names/votes below each winner. I wanted to make sure that the open contests lined up with the prize contest. The headers lined up with what was below them, etc.

Over all, I really like the design that we have! The few changes I made are really personal preference things, not overall design.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7876/pscredesigniv7.jpg

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:
I think the site looks pretty good the way it is. If I were asked to change anything, it would be what I have below.

I like that layout.

I think getting rid of a few recent winners makes it cleaner

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:04 pm   Reply with quote         

One thing that drives me insane is trying to go to the contest that has the recent winner displayed on the front page. I like to be able to go to the most recently ended contest from the front page, like we used to be able to do, but as far as I know, there is no link to it on the main page.

There are a couple of ways that could make this much easier.

1, put a link to the contest under the recent winner next to his/her name. for example:

{RECENT WINNER IMAGE]
dismantled rigidity (52) by Crowned Contest:Silver on Silver

or something to that effect.

Or 2, add a small module somewhere with say, the last 3 contests to have ended.

I prefer the first, personally. It'd be easier to implement, and wouldn't take up any space at all, just a bit more next to the winner's name.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:34 pm   Reply with quote         

The new site is very nice, i have to agree though that the open contests should be more obviously placed... i had the hardest time finding all of the entries.. though that may not be due to poor placement Wink haha

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:36 pm   Reply with quote         

thanks for the input, home page tweaks have been published.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:57 pm   Reply with quote         

sweet, thanks a lot JMH, makes that a lot easier. Very Happy
*applause*

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:05 pm   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:
thanks for the input, home page tweaks have been published.

Looks terrific!

Cool Cool Very Happy Very Happy

dunno

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:04 pm   Reply with quote         

hmmm... a lot input was given already, some nice changes are already implemented too... and i admit, i got meanwhile used to the new lok and feel of the homepage.

maybe i was bored or so, but i gave it a try anyway. i tried to sort the different objects a bit, added a logout link (total top right corner, somewhat handy imo) and got rid of the "new votes and comments" section. i think we are all crazy enough to remember how many votes/comments our entries had 5 minutes ago. ... uhm, at least i do, never used that box Razz

oh, and for the not-logged-in-state there could be google ads inserted instead of the "my active entries" section on top and full width (e.g.) between "latest winner" and "recent winners".
... err... yea, thats it. here is mr. link:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6069/pschomepage2yn0.jpg

Will_E_Makit

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Personally,I liked it the way it was when first redesigned.If I had to choose between dbbowling's Azionite's, my choice would be Azionite's but whatever you guys choose is fine with me! Just my $1.98 worth.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:28 pm   Reply with quote         

dunno wrote:
...and got rid of the "new votes and comments" section. i think we are all crazy enough to remember how many votes/comments our entries had 5 minutes ago. ... uhm, at least i do, never used that box Razz

That feauture is mainly meant for when someone goes back and looks at old entries, and they might leave a comment. Most users don't regularly browse through their own old entries, so they may never see new comments until it's been quite a while. This alerts us so that we can go see the new comments and possibly respond to the commenter.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC Home Page Needs a Re-design - Reply to topic