Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Hey jmh? Yeah I know you're not busy or anything but... - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Add a PM link to contests?

Yes

66%

66%

[ 14 ]

No

33%

33%

[ 7 ]

Total Votes: 21

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:03 am   Reply with quote         

I think it'd be great if there was an option to send a comment (about an entry) as a PM during (and possibly even after) a contest. This is especially good if it's an anonymous contest. That way those that would rather send a PM with suggestions or critiques could do just that.

Otherwise, with anonymous contests, there's no way to PM the author of the chop without compromising the integrity of the anonymous nature.

The idea is just that a "PM" button would send the comment to the author without the person sending the PM knowing who the recipient would be. To further protect the IDs of both parties have the sender ID be a defaulted to something like "Entry Comment". Hope that makes sense.

The thread exchange shown below prompted the idea.

TofuTheGreat wrote:
lpoetschke wrote:
Well, I feel I need to put in my two cents...not like that's worth anything...but here goes anyway!

First of all, I have only been here just over a month. I am so glad I found PSC and have already learned a great deal from everyone here. The one disappointing thing is this...I don't believe the comments area is being utilized to it's full potential. DP, you say that there have been so many crappy chops from newbies and veterans alike, but as a newbie I am still "learning" what is considered a clean chop versus a messy chop. I could learn so much faster and apply my new knowledge to chops if I knew what the heck was wrong with the chops I do! How am I to know what makes a "clean" chop if nobody has the time to explain what I did wrong/right in a chop?? I understand there is PM for this, but I have not received a single PM from anyone or even a suggestion for a PM to talk about something I could make better in any of my chops (granted, there have been only 5, but...). I am almost discouraged now to enter any chops because of the fear of not being up to par with the standards you seem to have set, but I don't honestly know what those standards even are yet. Eve has been very forthcoming with comments, and I really appreciate her for doing that. Otherwise, most of the comments I have seen are only if the person is out of votes but thinks it's good. I would love the constructive criticism and could benefit greatly from it!!! I just wish more people would provide it...

I'm sorry if this is too *gripy*, but I have been stewing over this for a while now and felt I needed to say something. As a newbie, I know I can benefit tremendously participating here, but I can honestly say I have learned more from reading and watching than I have from participating.

You bring up good points that have been brought up many times in the past. This only validates the points in my opinion.

This also brought something to mind that I hadn't considered before.
We cannot PM the chopper in an anonymous contest! Shocked
This makes using the comments block so much more important!

Oh, and lpoetschke, NEVER be too intimidated to enter. You might not get many tips on what you've entered but you get zero tips on stuff you don't enter.

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:04 am   Reply with quote         

I think it's a great idea!!

Sassy

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:27 am   Reply with quote         

I agree that a PM would be helpful

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:51 am   Reply with quote         

I have to disagree with Tofu
- In regular contests it's not that hard to PM the author (yes - it means 2 more clicks and typing in a name)
- In anonymous contests - just leave your critique as a comment, it will not hurt the overall score (the way some people take offense in open contests - boo-hoo). The built-in 'new votes and comments' feature on the default page will alert the author of a new comment, and then it's up to the her/him to fix it or discard your comment.

FootFungas

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:57 am   Reply with quote         

Just use the comment box.

nubie

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:23 am   Reply with quote         

And you would only need a extra tera or two......for the added storage.

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

I'm glad that some who are voting no are explaining their views. That's good stuff.

vokaris wrote:
- In regular contests it's not that hard to PM the author (yes - it means 2 more clicks and typing in a name)
- In anonymous contests - just leave your critique as a comment, it will not hurt the overall score (the way some people take offense in open contests - boo-hoo). The built-in 'new votes and comments' feature on the default page will alert the author of a new comment, and then it's up to the her/him to fix it or discard your comment.
FootFungas wrote:
Just use the comment box.

I'm all for using the comment box. But there's a few points you both are missing. People aren't USING the comment box and several others have mentioned that they'd rather PM their feedback to the author.

nubie wrote:
And you would only need a extra tera or two......for the added storage.

Huh? Why? Why would this increase the storage? It would be part of the current PM system. It's just a script on the server side.

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

Well, I left a comment on a certain post yesterday explaining the reasons that I wasn't going to vote for that image...and I got a response for the chopper who understood what I was saying...

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes much could be done if people used the comment box for helping the chopper.

I'm one who'd put a comment out there instead of in a PM. This idea is/was mainly for benefit of the people who'd rather PM their critique (something I still say benefits the one instead of the many).

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:23 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

I'm one who'd put a comment out there instead of in a PM. This idea is/was mainly for benefit of the people who'd rather PM their critique (something I still say benefits the one instead of the many).
What do you see as THE big difference between a 'Comment' and a PM in the context of an Anonymous contest? Privacy after the end of the contest? Number of characters limitation?

ScionShade

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:27 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm all for leaving comments in comment box.
Pm'ing people "You know well" is ok.
Taking criticism is hard..hard for EVERYONE..
I won't argue the point..it's fact.
Experience here tells me when PM'ing someone new with a critique..even a happy jolly I am there for ya buddy critique,
can often, very often result in a return flame PM.
Our experienced choppers are no good example for this.
several out of the last seven contest winners are people I offered a friendly PM critique to, because they had made obvious small mistakes that could be readily fixed...all but one
returned very indignant, egotistical rants, and the one other
just stated as how they don't appreciate critiques, thank you anyway.
In comments, they have reason to control their behavior since it may effect voting.
If you want critiques..specify it on yer post. Specify if you prefer PM,but don't...plese, don't flip out when you get your feelings hurt..
critiques hurt,they are often upsetting and if you
are automatically gonna flip if it does not contain at least thirty smileys..warn people ahead of time.

Smile

Granulated

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:

I agree with him ^^^ Rolling Eyes

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:13 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

What do you see as THE big difference between a 'Comment' and a PM in the context of an Anonymous contest? Privacy after the end of the contest? Number of characters limitation?

This is excellent discussion! Love it!

Believe it or not the number of characters limitation is something I hadn't thought about before. That's one pro for sending PMs as sometimes the tip being sent can be longer than what can be put into a contest comment.

Here's my current list of the Pro's and Con's list for sending PMs & Comments for critiquing

Comment box Pros -
    Allows EVERYONE who reads the comment to benefit from the tip.
    Is quick since you're already there at the image

Comment box Cons -
    Cannot leave a lengthy comment.
    Cannot include samples of what you're referring to (images)
    Comment becomes semi-irrelevant when the author edits the picture per the comment
    Sometimes becomes a public flame-war

PM'ing Pros -
    Private conversation between the author and the critic.
    Longer text possible for explaining your tip/critique
    Can include images for example/reference

PM'ing Cons -
    Genuinely beneficial tip is only given to the author and not the community
    Takes more clicks to create and send to a PM (some just don't have the attention span to do this)

What else can we add to each of these lists?

blue_lurker

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:26 pm   Reply with quote         

um...er...well..um...how about we...er...add a
critique button..maybe...sorta...um ok...bye Confused

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Tofu - your lenghty analysis has a bunch of valid points.

To get around all this (without changing the site) I would do just this:

Open contest:
- you can PM the author with 2 more clicks
- you can leave a vote with comment or just a comment "I like this, but this and this needs work"

Anonymous contest - if you don't like the entry, leave a comment "I think your entry needs more work, PM me if you want to discuss what I think" and then, if you get a response, PM all you want (unless you think it hurts the anonimity of said contest)

It works for me, and I've had a fair number of meaningful PM exchanges of opinions (whether we agree on one point or another)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Hey jmh? Yeah I know you're not busy or anything but... - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.