Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - A Monotony Breaker - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:45 pm   Reply with quote         

OK...So I know that everyone here draws from different inspirations...I was curious as to what artists or works of art may have had some influence on your style here or on works outside of PSC...And feel free to post any works of art!

I'll go first...I've been getting a lot lately from the Surrealist Movement, Dada and the works of Man Ray and Ernst...and with each new work I study, a little bit of that somehow gets into my chops.

A sample of Ernst

Next?! Naiko, I know you have something to contribute to this!

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Is that a killer ninja monkey kicking a frog with a parrot's beaks' ass? Razz

I don't have much to say here, never was good at the really surreal stuff.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Not just surreal stuff...what artist do you like? Draw influence from? Really hate?

And...I'm...not...real...sure what that is!

nevet

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:18 pm   Reply with quote         

H.R giger
he's a genius

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I also like Chuck Close

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Love Close's work...did you know this?
Quote:
In 1988, Close had a spinal artery collapse, on the day he was to give a speech at an art awards ceremony. He felt ill beforehand, gave his speech, then painfully went to a hospital across the street. A few hours later he was a quadriplegic.

Close continued to paint with a brush held between his teeth, creating mini-portraits in grid squares created by an assistant.

Another great, whose Scion's water hydrant image brought to mind is Christopher Brown...his works are dream-like memory paintings...fabulous!
http://www.askart.com/AskART/B/christopher_brown/christopher_brown.aspx

Sam Francis...genius work who became an artist after being hospitalized for years, staring at the ceiling and allowing his imagination to "paint" it.
Quote:
Francis was born in San Mateo, California, and studied botany, medicine and psychology at the University of California, Berkeley. He served in the United States Air Force during World War II before suffering a plane crash. He was in hospital for several years, and it was while there that he began to paint. Once out of hospital he returned to Berkeley, this time to study art.

View some of his works here...
http://www.artnet.com/Artists/ArtistHomePage.aspx?artist_id=6439&page_tab=Artworks_for_sale/Online

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Mondrian?
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Mondrian&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
I did an art project a while back on him. I took this old chair and painted the frame flat black, then using masking tape and paper, did the cushions in the Mondrian style and colors. I did it in my garage, using spray paints, and it took me 12 hours straight to finish it. If I had a freaking camera, I'd take some pics of it to show you guys, its pretty cool.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
Love Close's work...did you know this?
Quote:
In 1988, Close had a spinal artery collapse, on the day he was to give a speech at an art awards ceremony. He felt ill beforehand, gave his speech, then painfully went to a hospital across the street. A few hours later he was a quadriplegic.

Close continued to paint with a brush held between his teeth, creating mini-portraits in grid squares created by an assistant.

I DID know that...but thanks for sharing with the rest of the class. I had the chance to see some of his early work in DC a few years back...really huge, wonderful work. Wink

Granulated

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:10 pm   Reply with quote         

I like Bosch

and the work of Ron Muerck is amazing.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?num=20&hl=en&q=Ron%20Mueck&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wi

I like Jenny Savilles stuff
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&lr=&q=jenny+saville

and Chuck Close of course.

I like stuff BIG !

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I've seen the Big Man...interesting work!

mikey

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:45 pm   Reply with quote         

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
1498; woodcut
Albrecht Durer is one of my all time inspirations as an artist" since to focus on drawing is so important at the beginning of an artists career, I also love Escher, Dali, and Norman Rockwell. and there are so many others! Shocked Cool

Synthvet

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Sahm

ScionShade

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Although I was seriously "into" art and art history for much of my life.
Around 17-18 yrs ago I started trying NOT to look at anyone elses art at all.(unless i am definately not doing anything art related myself at the time).
I found when I was making a living with my art, that being engrossed in other's art inevitably influenced whatever i was working on. GAH! I hate THAT with a passion.
exception, Baltimore's Visionary Art Museum.back then it felt like a second home.

mikey

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow Ron that Sahm art was a joy to view I added the site to my favorites! thanks for that" Cool Yes Scion it's hard not to be influenced by other people's inspiring art" Rolling Eyes being original takes extra effort! Wink but thank God for all the great inspiration out there to help us get inspired to reach new hights and to discover new things so we have reference and insight to know what is original" Cool

Paul Von Stetina

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:03 am   Reply with quote         

http://www.fineartstrader.com/backus.htm

Being from Florida, I really came to appreciate the works of Albert Backus, he taught a group of artist his style back in the late 50's early 60's, this group of fine artist's became known as the highwaymen, the name came from them selling their paintings on the side of the road, up in the Fort Pierce area of Florida, the paintings went for @ $20 - $30 dollars each, now they fetch thousands, you can find works from them on EBAY, I have a couple myself, check some out.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/highwaymen_W0QQcombineZyQQfclZ3QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQstorecacheZ813469Q2080697315Q205557024Q204488094
You'll have to look for it through all the other crap.

As far as my digital art goes, MC Escher and Dali have the most influence, as for living artist, check out this, from one of our very own.
http://artmajeur.com/?go=artworks/display_mini_gallery&image_id=720877&login=garmon&serie=1&artist_id=22871&mini_gallery_id=1051453&disp_m=normal

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - A Monotony Breaker - Reply to topic