Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC is getting more famous - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:22 am   Reply with quote         

I was doing the weekly food shopping, and I was taking time to look at the computing magazines, like I do once in a while. And I came across Photoshop Creative Magazine.

Thought I'd have a flick through, and to my suprise the first page of the news section there is a full page article on PSC. They rave on about the site upgrades and the fantastic community. The images used to illustrate the article are one by Desh and 2 by Stephen, these ones:

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/82460/display.html

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/83302/cupid-sandwich.html

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/69684/router-dragon.html

Just thought I would bring this to everyones attention Very Happy

I have not been around for a few days so I am unsure if anyone has done likewise Confused

Anyway this is the magazine you need to spot on the shelves, I am unsure if it is international, or just UK based. Unfortunately the website doesn't give any access to current issue pages. So you will have to hunt down the copy in a store.

http://www.pshopcreative.co.uk/flashindex.html

click latest issue to see issue 14's cover.

I say spread the word and get every photoshop related publication and website talking about us.

I am off to do just that, as I have found out that a couple more magazine over here in the UK would be happy to review PSC. At first I though it would just look like a mass spam Laughing but apparently not.

blade_in_exile

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:28 am   Reply with quote         

first off let me say welcome back to the real world i hope you enjoyed your stint on that jumped up little planet called Earth but your home now so you can rest easy Wink

secondly thanks for pointing this out am going out today shopping with my son will have to keep an eye out for the magazine, can i get it in WHSmiths or am i going to have to go upmarket for it???

welcome back Marco now get chopping as we have all missed your chops oh and also get voting we need them Wink

marcoballistic

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:31 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing cheers Blade, I think you can get it anywhere they have a good range of magazines.... I was in Sainsbury's at the time, it does mention WHSmiths on the actual website, so I am pretty confident you can get it there Laughing

armogeden

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:50 am   Reply with quote         

what blade said Cool welcome back old friend Very Happy

ScionShade

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:15 am   Reply with quote         

PSCM seems to have no regard for getting artist permission before printing. SO? Bill tv and Desh..
did they get your permission?...
If so...gee...thanks for sharing with the site.
I'm guessing they didn't.

Marx-Man

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:20 am   Reply with quote         

hmm interesting point ill look up the forum rules.

to see if the admin can give rights out aswell or if work posted is considered freeware.

hmm it makes no mention of it in the contest rules.

Q: Can I use copyrighted material in my entries?
A: Not unless you contact the proper owners of the image and obtain permission. Contact them first, you may be surprised at how many will give you the OK.

hmm i dont see any freeware or shareware rights to out going just mainly incoming.

no protective statments in the rules areas either

its may be down to the artist to sue for royalites or etc youll have to prove that your images contributed to the end sum the magazine got profit on.
(hard to do if your image is not on the front page.)
at least you can get the person fired if they didn't have permission.

but again only on intellectual rights since the image bore no copyright as such.

Marx-Man

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:28 am   Reply with quote         

[quote="ScionShade"]PSCM seems to have no regard for getting artist permission before printing. SO? Bill tv and Desh..
I'm guessing they didn't.[/quote]

these papers dont bother asking or permission.No copyright managment is possible though, legally, for psc images.

dumbat

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 am   Reply with quote         

i hope the images they used didn't contain copyrighted external sources though Confused

Marx-Man

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:31 am   Reply with quote         

ahh yes externals that could be a suing point gulps, better hope it is all source Shocked

but to really protect images from misapropriation you really need some kind of protecturate statment on the front page like.

Images used in contests undergone by Members of www.photoshopcontest.com (PSC) are considerd by the site and its users as protected under copyright law by this site. If you would like to use any images seen on PSC please contact either the artist or the administration for permission under condition to Redistrobute, Publish or in any case use images found on PSC as your own.
Misappropriation of any images on this site (Both incoming and outgoing) may be considered infringment of copyright and actions may be taken against the parties responsable.

somthing like that or to that extent maybe

ScionShade

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:36 am   Reply with quote         

ledirlo wrote:
ScionShade wrote:
PSCM seems to have no regard for getting artist permission before printing. SO? Bill tv and Desh..
I'm guessing they didn't.

these papers dont bother asking or permission.No copyright managment is possible though, legally, for psc images.

Yeah, I'm still gonna try and track down the copy i was in and save it. Just stands to reason though that if they do that..then the tuts and everything will probably be copied material too, so buying the zine is just supporting theft.

ScionShade

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

dumbat wrote:
i hope the images they used didn't contain copyrighted external sources though Confused

That has already happened at least once. The artist involved is unhappy, but there is no recourse.
Do you have the funds to sue someone in the UK?

Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
I was doing the weekly food shopping, and I was taking time to look at the computing magazines, like I do once in a while. And I came across Photoshop Creative Magazine.

Thought I'd have a flick through, and to my suprise the first page of the news section there is a full page article on PSC. They rave on about the site upgrades and the fantastic community. The images used to illustrate the article are one by Desh and 2 by Stephen, these ones:

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/82460/display.html

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/83302/cupid-sandwich.html

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/69684/router-dragon.html

Just thought I would bring this to everyones attention Very Happy

I have not been around for a few days so I am unsure if anyone has done likewise Confused

Anyway this is the magazine you need to spot on the shelves, I am unsure if it is international, or just UK based. Unfortunately the website doesn't give any access to current issue pages. So you will have to hunt down the copy in a store.

http://www.pshopcreative.co.uk/flashindex.html

click latest issue to see issue 14's cover.

I say spread the word and get every photoshop related publication and website talking about us.

I am off to do just that, as I have found out that a couple more magazine over here in the UK would be happy to review PSC. At first I though it would just look like a mass spam Laughing but apparently not.

What, huh? Fame? Wuh? Hey?

http://mechapixel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145873 Smile Evil or Very Mad Wink

dunno

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:03 am   Reply with quote         

marx-man: "but again only on intellectual rights since the image bore no copyright as such."

ledirlo: "No copyright managment is possible though, legally, for psc images."

marx-man: "but to really protect images from misapropriation you really need some kind of protecturate statment on the front page like."

scionshade: "..then the tuts and everything will probably be copied material too..."

YOU BLIND NUTS!!!!

EVERY PSC page says on the bottom in the very last line:
Quote:
Text and images copyright © 2000-2006 Photoshop Contest. All rights reserved.

Razz Laughing

marcoballistic

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:35 am   Reply with quote         

To the sue-mobile everyone, lets take a journey to the high court of 'swine bag british magazine fails to ask permission-ville' Laughing

I would have been more than happy if my images were used, I could understand if the article bad mouthed our community, but trust me, it really realy bigs us up. So hopefully expect an influx of newbies soon Very Happy

I can also understand the counter point of asking in the first place, I presume they used Desh and Stephen as they are amongst the highest ratio of success here at PSC.

But yes overall they should have asked, if they didn't, and I already know they didn't ask Desh, then lets open a can of random sue everyone involved type sort of thing Laughing

ScionShade

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:57 am   Reply with quote         

I'd be surprised if anyone were that mad. Even if they were, no one would actually sue.
We may let them get away with it, but it is still theft.
It may be cool to get a chop in print, but that doesn't change that they didn't ask.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC is getting more famous - Reply to topic