Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - respecting ye olders: i need advice from graphic pro's. - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:27 am   Reply with quote         

hey ya'll, how's it going. ok basically im just looking for adivice from olders that are actually in the career of graphic design. its my jr. year in high school and i think after 1.5 years using P.S. i have fallen in love with graphics designs. so i wanted to know what the next step is and how to get better. my teacher has actually admitted i know more than he does so im on my own... but i odnt know what to do, "on my own". my strongest point is manipulating people pictures, so far this is my best picture yet: http://server5.pictiger.com/img/643156/picture-hosting/1074391468-l.jpg
what im looking for is how to take the next step? like, whats a good college/school for graphic design, any classes online or classes i should take? just any info of the sort will help =) thx

TheShaman

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:34 am   Reply with quote         

Nice job!

my advice, if you really want to get a job doing this

go to college
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Graphic+Design+colleges&btnG=Search
I went to Triton in Chicago, one of the top Graphic Arts schools in the nation.... (I now have a associates degree in Photo/Offset and Graphic design with a minor in Art) New York as a few as well. I'm sure there are others... Guess it depends on where you live, and if you want to go away to school.
ALSO while there,
please please please learn all that you can about running a press too.. So many 'designers' I work with haven't a clue how a press operates. So I have to do A LOT of corrections and most times the designer isn't happy with the final outcome... "but it looked so good on my (RGB) desktop printer..." I used to hear a lot... So its a good thing to know, since thats where your stuff will be produced from. Many employers now want atleast 1 year experience running a press anyway. (plus its a lot of fun!)

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:37 am   Reply with quote         

heh, sounds a little like my recent past. I'm a Senior in High School right now, and for most of my high school time, I was frustrated because my classes were so basic I wasn't learning anything new at all. What I did was practice and teach myself everything I can. and practice. And join this site, which is great practice. Did I mention practice? Razz Anyway, I'm looking into several colleges and schools right now. Top on my list is College for Creative Studies in Detroit. There are several others I have looked at. I just went to portfolio day on Sunday and got a lot of info on a whole bunch of schools, so if you want to know anything, I'll type up some stuff for all the schools I looked at later.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:56 am   Reply with quote         

Good school:
http://www.scad.edu/

I had a similar problem...Enrolled in college, was shown the basics then proceeded to surpass what little knowledge the prof had, so I was basically on my own! Which worked out better for me...but that's another story...

And I agree with Shaman regarding press...good experience/knowledge to have.

Nice photo manip, by the way.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:00 am   Reply with quote         

twitch88 wrote:
so i wanted to know what the next step is and how to get better.

Practice. Practice. Practice. Very Happy

And post more chops here!

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:12 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:

ALSO while there,
please please please learn all that you can about running a press too.. So many 'designers' I work with haven't a clue how a press operates. So I have to do A LOT of corrections and most times the designer isn't happy with the final outcome... "but it looked so good on my (RGB) desktop printer..." I used to hear a lot... So its a good thing to know, since thats where your stuff will be produced from. Many employers now want atleast 1 year experience running a press anyway. (plus its a lot of fun!)

Please don't over look this advice, it's the greatest written so far! Thank you shaman...

Heinlein

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:16 am   Reply with quote         

I strongly agree with Sean. So many designers do not know the fundamentals of pre-press.

When I first started out, I can remember setting type and using a waxer to paste my images. With today's digital technology, the basics of Great Design seems to get lost.

I work very closely with printers, ensuring that all my files are print ready. (Images are at least 300 dpi, converted to cmyk, fonts are included, spot colors are correct, etc.)

My advice is to learn all you can about design and layout. Subscribe to design trade publications, look at ads, billboards, direct mail, etc. See how other designers convey their message through visual communication.

Graphic Design is very competitive, but if you continue learn and gain knowledge everryday, you will become a pro.

Good Luck,
Jim Smile

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:21 am   Reply with quote         

Ah yes...the magic letters...
C - M - Y - K

Marx-Man

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:45 am   Reply with quote         

1: Get a pen tab and digitally paint 4 objects...(this will increase your hand eye co-ordination with the tab.) you will also quikly learn about where shadows/ highlights need to be.

2: when you paint one object in detail move to brush types use them to paint over your object. on a layer below

3: make a background of generic type useing 5 different filters, utilising masks and overlays make it match the objects colours on a 4 colour basis

4: make vector art to blend the object with the background like a border and make a matching logo.

5: with a size 18 + font make a slogan to go with your logo

6: incorperate your artists identity in an obvious and subversive way.

save as origional
reconfigure for a wallpaper and save
reconfig for print and save
then resize for a sig rearranging everything

and lastly dont make it look tacky... that excercise will help you
with layout, shading, drawing, masking and typography.

send in the psd to box.net and post the url... so we can give advice on where your technique is lacking

...ps the bevel layer style looks crappy in its base form so your need to alter the settings to match you images light point and respective dark point

Kansas

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow.. love your work... The best way to get good is Start posting and keep posting... Love love love your work. How exciting to find your talent in Highschool.

You've just stumbled onto your destiny landing at PSC.

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked
High School? Exciting? Those 2 words don't go together Kathy! Laughing

TheShaman

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:28 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
Shocked
High School? Exciting? Those 2 words don't go together Kathy! Laughing

esp when Marx gives out homework! Shocked Laughing

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
esp when Marx gives out homework! Shocked Laughing

Shocked Laughing

Quote:
when you paint one object in detail move to brush types use them to paint over your object. on a layer below

Shocked
Wha?

gravyboat

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:55 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Nice job!

my advice, if you really want to get a job doing this

go to college

ALSO while there,

As a printing press operator I can honestly say that this is the best advice I've ever heard come out of Forum. ALL would be Graphic Artists should be taught to actually run a press, and learn the complete process from an Artist's idea all the way down the line to the completed brochure, business card etc. instead of just dropping 'camera ready' art in the printer's lap and saying, "here ya go mate, MY job's done, make this pretty will ya?" Very non-productive attitude. Bravo Sean.

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - respecting ye olders: i need advice from graphic pro's. - Reply to topic