Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - ~ New Firefox Available ~ - Reply to topic

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:05 pm   Reply with quote         

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Firefox 2 Release Candidate 3 (RC 3) is a preview release of our next generation Firefox browser and is being made available for download to Web application developers, our testing community and users who want to get a sneak peek at the next version of Firefox. Please note that at this time, users should not expect all of their extensions, plugins and themes from previous versions of Firefox to work properly.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

I've long touted Firefox over IE. But to be fair IE7 has finally been released to the public. I'm actually downloading it now (via Firefox how's that for irony).

Until I get a feel of how IE7 compares to Firefox I'll reserve my comments. Wink

dunno

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:50 pm   Reply with quote         

and why is nobody ever talking about the best browser in the world, opera?
available in version 9 already

*nope, i won't give up promoting it! Razz *

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Tofu wrote:
But to be fair IE7 has finally been released to the public. I'm actually downloading it now (via Firefox how's that for irony).
my advice: don't install explorer 7 yet...

I just did, an hour ago, to test my sites (seeing how they would be rendered and stuff)

Well hooray for Micro$oft!

I've installed, rebooted my pc and then got this:

free translation: Explorer.exe cannot run because Normaliz.dll was not found.

Great fun isn't it.. Twisted Evil

This means no taskbar, no explorer, difficulty with some programs depending on explorer (save, open file), (Apparantely ps cs2 has some part depending on it, alltough it can run without it...)

Basically the installation of IE7 removes this dll file wich is required for windows to run properly.

You might think this a one time event but it isn't, I've searched around the net, and apparently I'm not the only one having this issue.

Currently I'm trying to solve this problem. Will update this when new events occur (hopefully positive ones)

(thank god that taskmanager is still accessible or I would have been in deep sh*t)

So, I repeat don't try the beta from IE7 if you're not confident you can solve problems if they occur.

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:06 pm   Reply with quote         

The scary part is that this isn't a beta version. It's the final version product. Shocked (well as "final version" of a product as MS ever puts out anyway).

EDIT: I just looked and it appears, to me anyway, that the only version that's not a beta is the English version. All other langauges available are release candidate 1 versions.

So it looks like you need to switch languages there Tony. Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

dunno wrote:
and why is nobody ever talking about the best browser in the world, opera?
available in version 9 already

*nope, i won't give up promoting it! Razz *

'Cuz the fat lady hasn't sung yet. Laughing

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:30 pm   Reply with quote         

here, anyone with IE7 (or any other version for that matter) check this out. seems pretty important...
http://secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_Arbitrary_Content_Disclosure_Vulnerability_Test/

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:12 pm   Reply with quote         

dfwsusan wrote:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Firefox 2 Release Candidate 3 (RC 3) is a preview release of our next generation Firefox browser and is being made available for download to Web application developers, our testing community and users who want to get a sneak peek at the next version of Firefox. Please note that at this time, users should not expect all of their extensions, plugins and themes from previous versions of Firefox to work properly.

Sweet! I was just reading about this in Information Week magazine versus IE7's release. I will go download now. Firefox for life! Laughing

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:31 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
The scary part is that this isn't a beta version. It's the final version product. Shocked (well as "final version" of a product as MS ever puts out anyway).

EDIT: I just looked and it appears, to me anyway, that the only version that's not a beta is the English version. All other langauges available are release candidate 1 versions.

So it looks like you need to switch languages there Tony. Laughing

unfortunately (wel..) IE 7 relase 3 is not available for dutch windows (wich I always find terribly annoying, why don't they make software that isn't depended on language? seems rather stupid to me)

Anyway, I've managed to solve the issue (by downloading the missing file) but it seems there are still some small quirky behaviours (not ones I can't live with). Still, deleting a file like that is unforgievable to me, even i n a beta release.

Anyway IE7 is up and running now...

Glad to see that they finally fixed the border property for tag elements. That's 1 good point (but hey, Gecko renders had no problem with that at all). Still the layout and look of things doesn't really appeal to me.. but then again I haven't got used to it yet.
So I'll give IE7 a good look for the next week, and then formulate my judgement...

Firefox still my favourite browser though and probably will stay that way for a while...

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:41 pm   Reply with quote         

I downloaded IE7 today just to see what's up.

It's running fine on my computer although I did notice if I increase the text font (like I do often for my students) and then I try to highlight the text, the highlighted text becomes unreadable.

Otherwise it seems fine now though I'll probably still use Firefox as my primary browser.

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:22 am   Reply with quote         

The best place to downmlload IE7 is at http://ie7.com/

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:51 am   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
The best place to downmlload IE7 is at http://ie7.com/

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

love this must pass it around to people i know with IE6 so they can get the latest version Wink

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - ~ New Firefox Available ~ - Reply to topic