Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - I'm Back - Reply to topic

blade_in_exile

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:12 am   Reply with quote         

HI everyone

I'm BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

just got back from France and looked and saw my "long jump"

received 47 votes which blows the rest out of the water weeeeeeeeee

there were a few comments in the votes and comments section about technical errors and if i wished to be told or helped with them i could pm you, as this would involve pm'ing everyone Wink i thought i would do so here

so please send the comments as i really would like to know what i did wrong so i didn't keep making the same mistakes

i would like to thank everyone that voted for me and i would like to congratulate reyrey marco and fempie on getting the top 3 slots and also crowned and vlad for coming so close.

P.s Watch out for some Disney source as i shot off a few Compact flash cards of stuff just for source

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:31 am   Reply with quote         

I'm sure you took in the culture of the country while you were there and visited the sites. I'm sure you saw the louvre and eiffel and all the romantic surrounding places. I'm sure you sampled a cross-section the the local cuisine and conversed with the people of that fine country!

So there's one thing I'm dying to know:
What do they call French Fries there?! Do they make their sandwiches with 'American' cheese?! or Swiss?!

These are things I've always wanted to know!
Razz

Oh, btw... Welcome back!

yello_piggy

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:48 am   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:
I'm sure you took in the culture of the country

Of Euro-Disneyland?!!? Laughing

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:27 am   Reply with quote         

Blade,
Well, I don't see anything wrong with the pic..
but I'm not really good pointing out "technical" things..but it seems most people loved the pic and didn't see anything wrong!!!

Keep up the good work!!! That's a great picture!!!!

Hope you had a great vacation!!!

blade_in_exile

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:17 am   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:
I'm sure you took in the culture of the country while you were there and visited the sites. I'm sure you saw the louvre and eiffel and all the romantic surrounding places. I'm sure you sampled a cross-section the the local cuisine and conversed with the people of that fine country!

So there's one thing I'm dying to know:
What do they call French Fries there?! Do they make their sandwiches with 'American' cheese?! or Swiss?!

These are things I've always wanted to know!
Razz

Oh, btw... Welcome back!

saw the Eiffel tower from the train on the way back, smaller than it looks on Tv but we were over 14 miles away maybe that had something to do with it

the french fries are called crisps

and the food was great and it was all swiss/french cheese and i stuffed myself silly at all the buffets

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:02 pm   Reply with quote         

blade_in_exile wrote:

received 47 votes which blows the rest out of the water weeeeeeeeee
...so please send the comments as i really would like to know what i did wrong so i didn't keep making the same mistakes

I stand by my comments and vote.
Tofu wrote:
Nice blade! Really nice! The only complaints I have are the black edges left on the stickman and the conflict between the shadows on the figure and the placement of the shadow on the ground.

I did notice the technical problems but that was after I had already decided I wanted to vote for it. I just liked the picture. I liked the story it told, the colors used, the level of blurring, etc., etc., etc.

My take on how to correct these things? It looks like you may have used the polygon lasso to cut out the figure from the original black background? If so then, as has been stated around here many times before, try using the pen tool to create a selection path. This is one of the most important skills you'll ever learn! Tutorials for doing cut-outs:
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/15/pen-tool-as-mask-selector.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/2/cut-and-paste-options.html (if you must use a mask for selection)

The other point I made was about the shadows. The shadows on the figure appear to be from the light coming in from the left and aimed up a bit. But the shadow on the ground is to the left. This is a conflict of lighting.

Overall I really liked the chop though. The oh-so-fake looking backdrop lent well to the focus on the figurine (imho). It just had some impact that I liked.

blade_in_exile

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

[quote="TofuTheGreat"]
blade_in_exile wrote:

I stand by my comments and vote.
Tofu wrote:
Nice blade! Really nice! The only complaints I have are the black edges left on the stickman and the conflict between the shadows on the figure and the placement of the shadow on the ground.

I did notice the technical problems but that was after I had already decided I wanted to vote for it. I just liked the picture. I liked the story it told, the colors used, the level of blurring, etc., etc., etc.

My take on how to correct these things? It looks like you may have used the polygon lasso to cut out the figure from the original black background? If so then, as has been stated around here many times before, try using the pen tool to create a selection path. This is one of the most important skills you'll ever learn! Tutorials for doing cut-outs:
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/15/pen-tool-as-mask-selector.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/2/cut-and-paste-options.html (if you must use a mask for selection)

The other point I made was about the shadows. The shadows on the figure appear to be from the light coming in from the left and aimed up a bit. But the shadow on the ground is to the left. This is a conflict of lighting.

Overall I really liked the chop though. The oh-so-fake looking backdrop lent well to the focus on the figurine (imho). It just had some impact that I liked.

thanks again tofu

i did use the pen tool (only one i use to cut out things) but i don't think after a couple of comments i was as dilligant as i could of been when using.

it wasnt until it was mentioned about the shadows that i noticed them myself but will try to correct it in future and take more time when i was completing this one the shadow just looked well placed there and i didnt even think about the difference i am glad others did and pointed it out it means i will be more aware of this in the future.

and FAKE background it was meant to look oh-so real

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - I'm Back - Reply to topic