Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - cleaner cut - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:13 pm   Reply with quote         

err...um...I really should retaliate...umm...

Fascinating!

Make it so!

Engage!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! Laughing

ReyRey

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:05 pm   Reply with quote         

I use the pen tool for as much as possible. I use the mask tool for other situations. I use channels, color selection to create masks for certain areas. I also break an image up into sections. For instance , on a person, I will use a path to cut out the entire person until I get to the hair. Then I will do a loose loop around the hair. (Layer masks are wonderful. You can always change them later and your entire image still exists. You don't lose anything. )Then I will use the other tools to fine tune the hair. There is no one answer. There are so many tools available in photoshop for cutting an image out. You need to learn them all. It's kind of like working on a car. I have three tools in my box and I'm not very good at it. I could probably fix the problem ok,but when I'm done the car might sound funny or just not run right. On the other hand, my brother has a huge set of tools and when he fixes it, it's fixed. No hidden surprises. (do you know what I mean?)Learn all the tools! One thing about the path tool. When you make a selection with it and delete everything else, it leaves no mess to clean up. Making masks and using magic wands leaves debris that you will have to clean up. Unless it is an object with a hard edge, you will need more than one tool. Oh yes, I almost forgot. Take the magic wand tool and throw it away. Very Happy Have a nice day. Wink

anfa

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Rey, you are so logical.
You prick! Wink

sage

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:29 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah, he sure talks alot. why don't you chop something, rey?

ReyRey

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:40 pm   Reply with quote         

sage wrote:
yeah, he sure talks alot. why don't you chop something, rey?

I will when you get a new avatar Sage. Laughing Laughing or a hair cut Shocked

sage

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing If I update my avatar, everyone will see how old I really am!

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:04 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Oh yes, I almost forgot. Take the magic wand tool and throw it away. Very Happy

Noooooo! I cant throw away my magic wand tool! Shocked
After making contour with my brush on layer mask, I'm doing the "magic wand tool - expand - fill" operation regularly to complete my close cut. But I only use it for that...
Smile

Sage, you can use your old Montreal Canadiens avatar... heeuw... they lost tonight... and if I remember well, they lost regularly the last time you used it... forget what I said! Wink

sage

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:12 am   Reply with quote         

haha! I thought the same thing! that's why I'm not using it. We're very supersticious, aren't we? well, they did lose, but they beat buffalo last night. we're doing ok.

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:23 am   Reply with quote         

sage wrote:
haha! I thought the same thing! that's why I'm not using it. We're very supersticious, aren't we? well, they did lose, but they beat buffalo last night. we're doing ok.

Haha! Dont worry! They have a good team this year for sure. You can put it! Very Happy

nog

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
nog wrote:
The pen tool is the cleanest but if you want something quick and the background is consistant you can duplicate the layer and use select/color range and select the background then invert it and cut from the original layer.

nog

Hiya nog,
Welcome to PSc.
so what's your background? Where did you chop before you came to PSC?

Thank you, I'm from Ohio, just graduated with a bachelors of science in technology and currenty have two jobs. I work in video production and I also work as a web developer. I love the website, so many great designers here. Thank you to everyone that has been voting for me despite the fact I can't vote yet. Very much appreciated.
nog

anfa

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:40 am   Reply with quote         

What's this? CANADA CENTRAL!???
Wow you guys are more frightening than the Ausies!!!!!

ScionShade

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:45 am   Reply with quote         

Look, you didn't here it from me, but if you spend a minute practicing with 'outer glow', heh, you don't need to worry about no clean cut outs at all.
be sloppy as hell and fix it w/ teh glow.
sample an edge pixel, try the different layer types and opacities..oh and here's the clincher..
do it once...do it a lil rough with a light opacity, duplicate layer, merge down....pfft. Forget about it.

anfa

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:16 am   Reply with quote         

I just looked at the last pic that marco won with. Man he really needs to learn how to do hair!(and it was a winning entry)
STANDARDS? WHAT STANDARDS?

ScionShade

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:22 am   Reply with quote         

Impression of Marco.............:
Laughing Laughing Laughing LOL..You almost got me Old mate, but
the little Dutch elves that beat him up rubbed a whole can of shaving cream in his hair. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
--------------------------------
Impression of scion doing an impression marco doing an impression of scion...............:
Laughing Laughing Laughing How'd you like my boot broken off up yer arse Laughing Laughing Laughing
No really Mad

ScionShade

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:27 am   Reply with quote         

Impression of Laughing doing an impression of Laughing laughing like this Laughing ............:
Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - cleaner cut - Reply to topic