Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Layering 2 versions of an image: one b/w, one color - Reply to topic

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 am   Reply with quote         

I have an image that I want to fade the background out into b/w.
I made the background transparent using background eraser on one copy of the image. Then, I made the second copy b/w.

Now when I try to layer the two images, they either both revert to color, or both to b/w.

Anybody able to help me?

ScionShade

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:00 am   Reply with quote         

tissa wrote:
I made the background transparent using background eraser on one copy of the image. Then, I made the second copy b/w.

Now when I try to layer the two images, they either both revert to color, or both to b/w.

Anybody able to help me?

On layers palette at top--
try the drop down menu with different layer settings..
burn, color, soft light..play w/ layer opacity too.

ScionShade

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

you could also try just a color layer...use the "SPONGE" tool--it's where the burn and dodge tools are..try a soft brush and desat the areas ya want greyscale.

ScionShade

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:03 am   Reply with quote         

If you like the way you ahve it now..do not merge down..just save for web OR
before layering down..add a new blank layer below each layers--merge those layers down onto the blank layer THEN merge them together.

ScionShade

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:04 am   Reply with quote         

Welcome to PSC, i hope you're staying around to play the game Smile

Marx-Man

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:36 am   Reply with quote         

hmm
One method which a lot of new people do is..

Duplicate the layer, Then Image > adjustments > desturate, then erase the centre outwards. of course you’ll learn there are better ways as this one raises bitmap data and pushes your psd file size up. (Personally anything which ramps the file size of a psd higher than it could be i consider as wrong.)

pushes your psd file size up. (Personally anything which ramps the file size of a psd higher than it could be i consider as wrong.)

The best way is to make an adjustment layer called Hue and saturation. Set the saturation to 0.

because that channel is vector data (mainly calculation using a mask you will save a lot of data... for evidence ill use the grapes source image.

abp is the adjustment using another bitmap layer and the updated abp2 has been changed using a hue and saturation adjustment layer.
Notice the big obvious 1 Megabyte file size difference.
If you can avoid using Bitmap data do so. Vector data keeps your file size smaller which is good especially when the layer count hits 100.

I occasionally get sloppy when i am spending hours on a piece and forget to use vector with masks for colouring but its bad not too as bitmap data - especially if used like the top example ramps up the file size.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:17 pm   Reply with quote         

This took all of about 3 minutes to do, I'm not sure what is so difficult, select section of picture you want in B&W and desaturate. If you want to fade it more, break it down into sections and desaturate more or less. Rolling Eyes

MindGraph

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:01 am   Reply with quote         

easiest way I do it is to open the image/go to image/adjust/desaturate and then bring back what you want in color with the history brush. You can control if you don't want the color all back by your opacity. Welcome by the way! Wink

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:28 am   Reply with quote         

good way of doing this MG Very Happy

really do need to see the image though for best way of doing what you want, as there are so many ways to achieve your desired result. Can be dependant on the image Very Happy

Marx-Man

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:49 am   Reply with quote         

if we are going for simplest...

as in hey cheese this is the quickst way to make a section black and white from colour.

Brush tool - default colours. (press D)
set the brush options to colour
and draw... what ya want to be black and white.

Runs to toilet... im gonna be sick...

Granulated

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

tissa wrote:

Anybody able to help me?

YOu could create an adjustment layer for hue/saturation...then apply various gradients/blurs to it.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Layering 2 versions of an image: one b/w, one color - Reply to topic