Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Perspective and Shadows - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:07 pm   Reply with quote         

that's funny.. because a comment I received was "Brilliant"..so I guess that was just coincidence ...

badcop wrote:
Susan, I've made no reference to you in particular. It's clear to anyone reading this that my concern is with voting in general and not the quality of dfwsusan's submissions.

Marx-Man

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Uh oh...

take cover!!

Michel

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 pm   Reply with quote         

dfwsusan wrote:
that's funny.. because a comment I received was "Brilliant"..so I guess that was just coincidence ...

Yes, I think you are right, badcop probably quoted that comment from your entry.

No, I don't think it was a personnal attack, as badcop was refering to granulated's comment about the general lack of attention to realism in today's entries.

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:28 pm   Reply with quote         

They're ALL brilliant entries.

There.

Hmph.

(p.s. dfw...call me!)
Wink

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:35 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Not top be a spoil sport, but PSC romances never work out.
There's a curse or something on them. True.

blue_lurker

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Well you and Fabio are still a cute couple scion Laughing

ScionShade

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Well, he's handsome enough for both of us *Blushes*

Granulated

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:24 pm   Reply with quote         

To the centre of the city where all roads meet, waiting for you,
To the depths of the ocean where all hopes sank, searching for you,
I was moving through the silence without motion, waiting for you,
In a room with a window in the corner I found truth

Joy Division - "Shadowplay"

and I pasted that because ? Rolling Eyes

Michel

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Fireworks MX: Perspective Shadow Effect

This is a great effect for creating realistic perspective shadows. It gives a "depth of field" effect to your images.

Step 1: Getting Started
Open a new image that you'd like to apply the perspective effect to. In this example I'm using this Push Pin image.

First off, you'll need to remove the background color from the image. If you need assistance with that technique and would like to view a tutorial on removing backgrounds.

Step 2: Duplicating the Object
To duplicate the pushpin, do one of the following:

Copy the pushpin by selecting it and clicking Control-C or Command-C
Click on the pushpin's layer and drag it to the New/Duplicate Layer icon
Click on the Layers panel Options menu in the top right corner of the Layers panel and select Duplicate Layer... and enter 1 for the Number
Go up to Edit>Duplicate (Control-Alt-D or Command-Alt-D)
Go up to Edit>Clone (Control-Shift-D or Command-Shift-D)
As you can see there are several ways to create a duplicate object. I prefer to click and drag the layer down to the New/Duplicate Layer icon because it will not only duplicate the object but duplicate the layer as well.

Lock the top layer to prevent it from being selected. We're going to create the shadow effect on the bottom object.

Step 3: Creating the Perspective Effect
Click on the pushpin to select it. If you locked the top layer you'll automatically select it.
Turn off the visibility of the top layer so you can see your changes to the bottom object.
With the object selected, click on the Effects pop-up menu in the Property Inspector and select Adjust Color>Levels...
Set the Maximum Intensity value to zero (0)
Right click on the object and select Transform>Distort (Alternatively you can go up to Modify>Transform>Distort but I find right clicking to be more efficient)
Click the top-middle selection handle and drag down and to the right or left to create the effect

Step 4: Creating the Shadow Effect
This next part takes advantage of the new way in which Fireworks MX lets you create gradient masks.

Add a Bitmap Layer mask
Select the Gradient Tool (G)
In the Property Inspector make sure Fill Selection is selected and for Mask To, select Grayscale
Click and drag from the right of the pin to the left. This is how the perspective shadow is applied. Don't worry if you didn't get the effect you like. You can continue clicking and dragging over the bottom object until you get the right fading effect.
If you get this effect, it means you applied the gradient to the image rather than to the mask. Click Control-Z or Command-Z to undo your last step, click the mask thumbnail and reapply the gradient. You'll know the mask is selected because it will have a yellow border around the thumbnail. When the image is selected it the thumbnail will have a blue border around it. You can see the blue border around the image in the popup window.

Optional: You can apply a Gaussian Blur to the bottom object before you apply the the gradient mask to it. Depending on your object this may add more realism to your effect. As with all tutorials, try and experiment with the basics provided in the lesson to get your own custom effects.

Source

Scrumpy

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice- cheers for that Michel Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:02 am   Reply with quote         

jk

Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:35 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
Marco,
I'm guessing your changed your image today. Just going by your statements in your comments.
You're allowed to change an image," improve on it", i never heard anyone complain about that, but ..
you are not allowed to replace an image. Just like everybody else who posts a flop and has to deal with the less than desirable votes, this applies to you also.
Since experience tells me this will get an argument from you...
I'm gonna ask you to do me a favor and show some respect.
JMH has said that he does not want this happening, considering that i've been here several years now and have seen jmh
make statements about what he 'doesn't' like maybe two or three times, I ask you to take his wishes seriously and not do this again.
About the only other thing I remember him ever asking for is not showing genetalia...now i know he doesn't joke around about that one, cause I've watched people get banned over it, and I've watched chops that were incredibly well done get pulled for it.
I've watched other users egg choppers who posted nipples into
fighting for their rights as artist and to argue the issue. Invariably they have been banded.

I do talk about Perspective and shadows, this is crucial for the PSC artist, so read thoroughly Wink
Don't worry Scion, your rant brings up a good point, Rolling Eyes Laughing and Marco, if you changed your chop mid-drift, Shocked of all peeps!?!
Anyway, I agree that showing genitalia is a no no...at PSC, but Shocked Butt's ??? Surprised both sex's have a Buttcrack, Buttcracks should be allowed in our chops, not spread Buttcracks though, does anyone else agree?

I know,
I am aware that I have pushed the bounderies on this subject, notice the title of this entry, "My Butt got canned"
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/95521/votes.html
My original got pulled, it was a motorcross guy holding his scabbed ass, and I used the "worn down cracks" to make his Butt,
so like Marco,
I had to "change my image" to a piece of art I hold dear, thanks JMH Wink Rolling Eyes

Warning: this is not to be viewed by anyone under 18 years of age,(sorry FootFungas Laughing ) you have been warned: Shocked http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/6817/skidmarkshi3.jpg Shocked Laughing I think it got pulled because of the little hole in the center, oops Laughing

My Buttchop that sqeaked by the Mods;
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/98273/votes.html
to stay on track with this thread, notice the perfect lighting, and perspective balance, the subtle use of shadow, to give this head, a cheek like apearance, I was quite proud of this Buttcrack Wink Laughing Shocked what?

ScionShade

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:21 am   Reply with quote         

I didn't rant...what you are doing is ranting.

Paul Von Stetina wrote:

I had to "change my image" to a piece of art I hold dear, thanks JMH Wink Rolling Eyes

You'd think with all he's done for all of us here, you could treat the guy with a little respect.
I'd think if my 'art' was so important to me that I couldn't change it out of respect for him, then I'd need to go someplace else.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:14 pm   Reply with quote         

I know Scion, Laughing and I really do thank JMH for that art piece I was forced to create, also you are correct about repecting his wishes, he's done a lot for all of us, the buttcrack subject can fall into a major humor chop, or into the fine art area, depending on how it's used, I didn't bring it up to dis JMH, I think a big part of what keeps us around this site, is the humor that goes into chops, over everything else, I'm not puting the art aspect of this place down at all, that's the other half, but this was a rant thread to start anyway, you didn't come here to read about shadows did you? Rolling Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Perspective and Shadows - Reply to topic