Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

creatrix

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:23 pm   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
well dew.. all peoples have a deity.. we just call them different things perhaps that may not be wrong well to some here perhaps. But I just never ever went with the God that brings fire and hell. So many poor kids were beat in religious schools and told about the God of Fear.
Who wants a God of Fear, that God just keeps us controlled. The God of Love makes much more sense.

Where I live we have the Body Farm and that doesn't sound half bad. You just lie out in the open and they study how you decompose. I like open spaces.

I've contemplated donating my body to the body farm. But actually, it can be pretty gross. I mean, I don't know how I feel about being the one left in a car trunk or something. Laughing Then again, I'm dead, so who cares?

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:47 pm   Reply with quote         

creatrix wrote:
Okay, I'll concede that "deal with it" was a bit harsh, however, I will NOT concede that there is proof of God.

The proof is not dependent on your concession Smile
creatrix wrote:
I reiterate that I do in fact believe in a God (of sorts) and I certainly do not fault others for believing whatever it is that they want, but there is not proof.

Well, it looks as though you believe in the concept of proof though, otherwise you could not know that there isn't any proof of God. Could you perhaps tell me how proof of anything is possible according to your worldview?
creatrix wrote:
I really haven't had any interaction with Canuck before tonight... but his/her association with PSC get him/her points with me right there)

Thanks! You too Smile
creatrix wrote:
If there was concrete proof of God, this thread would have been dead 20 pages ago.

Nope, the point is that people suppress the truth.
creatrix wrote:
Besides, my issue wasn't with Cannuck at all: it is with the person who developed a website that seems to insist that the existence of a deity is necessarily predicated upon moral absolutism

As Scion said...guilty as charged Smile (BTW Hey Scion!) I do not limit the truth to the existence of moral absolutes, but absolutes of any kind. (Universal, abstract, invariant absolutes).
creatrix wrote:
Absolutism requires that an action be wrong REGARDLESS of the conditions attached to it.

Um no, it is absolutely morally wrong for me to sleep with my brother's wife, it is not absolutely morally wrong for him to. It is absolutely morally wrong for someone to stick a knife into the chest of someone else for kicks, it is not absolutely morally wrong for a heart surgeon to do it. Indeed some absolutes can be explained in generalities, but some cannot.
creatrix wrote:
I think we can all agree that molestation is wrong,

What if the molester thinks it is 'right?' Is it still wrong then? What would make you 'right' and them 'wrong?'
creatrix wrote:
If you could convince a terrorist to give up a bomb set to kill a million people by abusing his child, is it okay? I don't know the answer - I'm, quite honestly, not comfortable contemplating such a situation. But if one wanted to, I suppose that the argument could be made to abuse this child to save a million lives.)

That would not make it 'right,' and whether or not it is justifiable, is up to God, not you.

Cheers,

Sye

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

still staying out of it, but if you try converting my pagans to christianety i will close this forum

Hallcross Toots
Canuck <º)))><

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
still staying out of it, but if you try converting my pagans to christianety i will close this forum

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hey buddy!!!! People don't convert people Wink

(I often bring up the fact that as much as you bashed me, you still liked my sig).

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:40 pm   Reply with quote         

About that body farm.. lol
I took several anthropology classes under Dr William Bass a nice soul you could ever want to meet. He delighted each of us every day with slideshows of his wonderful corpses. He was the founder of the Body Farm. I have since seen he has received national recognition for his work at the University of TN. Just behind the hospital lol.

Just recently my husband had physical therapy and I ran again in Dr Bass in the waiting room and unbelievable that man remembered me. I was just honored. I have thought that yes the body farm is for me.

ReinMan

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
splodge wrote:

(I often bring up the fact that as much as you bashed me, you still liked my sig).

"GUNS don't convert people.
PEOPLE convert people."

(hmmmm... that quote may not work too well here.)

"IF YOU SEE BUDDHA ON THE ROAD GIVE HIM A TWINKIE!!!"

dewdew

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:58 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:

PAGAN'S..... Shocked .......ain't that the Druids cousins???...would be nice to know just what stonehenge was all about......I'm going with giant sundial. Smile

ScionShade

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:13 am   Reply with quote         

Fishboy wrote:
(BTW Hey Scion!) I do not limit the truth to the existence of moral absolutes, but absolutes of any kind. (Universal, abstract, invariant absolutes).

Well I absolutely agree with you.

Oscar

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:19 am   Reply with quote         

Any similarities with that cats name and mine do not exist. I have nothing to do with this cat. I like lolcats yes, but not him.

creatrix

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
creatrix wrote:
I reiterate that I do in fact believe in a God (of sorts) and I certainly do not fault others for believing whatever it is that they want, but there is not proof.

Well, it looks as though you believe in the concept of proof though, otherwise you could not know that there isn't any proof of God. Could you perhaps tell me how proof of anything is possible according to your worldview?

Well, proof is kind of tricky, as I'm sure you know. Basically, science doesn't seek to "proove" complex theories, only to invalidate them with evidence that refutes the theory. One piece of such evidence will kill a theory with thousands of pieces to support it. I would bring up evolution, but I don't think that will makemy point well in this venue, so I'll point to parity, which was broken in the 80s or 90s with a single discovery.

But I'm digressing. Proof that something exists can be obtained. One only needs to be able to see the effects it has in a quantifiable, repeatable manner. Same rules that apply to prove that a photon exists or a muon.

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:25 am   Reply with quote         

Now, as for moral absolutes, I still don't believe in them. As for your argument that something heinous like molestation could be justifiable but still wrong, it's a good argument. I would counter, then, with is it wrong to let the million people die? Or is that justifiable? When you let a million people die in a terrorist attack you could have prevented by doing something that we can all agree is morally reprehensible, are you doing good by refusing, or are you doing evil?

While I also agree it's not such a great idea to sleep with your brother's wife, what if he doesn't mind? What if they both want to show how much they love you by letting you sleep with her? Granted, I think it's weird, but if no one involved minds, why is it wrong? I know this could be compared to the question you asked about if the molester thought something was right, but molestation involves a victim: someone who is harmed by the action. Harming another, in most instances is wrong.

For instance, will you agree that it's worng to take a knife and cut open a living human being? To slice open their abdomen?

Pretty bad, huh?

But what if you're a doctor preforming a cesarean delivery. It becomes acceptable and moral - in fact it becomes immoral not to do it in many instances.

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:46 am   Reply with quote         

ME BELIEVE GOD POWER

dewdew

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:48 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
splodge wrote:

Laughing ...Scion said FISHBOY... Laughing Laughing .....thanks... first thing Monday morning and i have coffee dripping from my nose again.

I love the sig by the way.......i saw a shirt once that said "GOD don't believe in atheist".....maybe it's just my sick sense of humor....but i liked it. Smile

ReinMan

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:19 am   Reply with quote         

TWINKIES, PEOPLE! TWINKIES!!

Now THERE is SOMETHING to BELIEVE in!

(as in: "I believe I'll have another TWINKIE.")

AM I RIGHT PEOPLE!?

Hello?

Is this thing on? ....

Confused

creatrix

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
TWINKIES, PEOPLE! TWINKIES!!

Now THERE is SOMETHING to BELIEVE in!

(as in: "I believe I'll have another TWINKIE.")

AM I RIGHT PEOPLE!?

Hello?

Is this thing on? ....

Confused

I was just trying to figure out how to convince everyone that I am Buddha....

and there were twinkies, and the Lord saw that they were Good. And He ateth of them with great joy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.