Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

splodge

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:22 am   Reply with quote         

as everyone seems to be in this thread, i thought i'd post this here, the free 3D program Blender, tutorials 2 hours long $15
http://www.cartoonsmart.com/blender_basics.html

Hallcross Toots

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:58 am   Reply with quote         

Intermission.

dewdew

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 am   Reply with quote         

oooohhh claf has a shitting emoticon... Crying or Very sad ...it's not fair.....how many votes does that cost??? Wink

Cantuna......i mean canuck Razz .....Reindude said close it down....i was trying to say ....not til we discuss the aliens....i did not want it closed...i'll try and be more whitty with my responces and future post...Now that don't mean they will be more whitty.....it just means i will try. Very Happy You can't squeeze blood from a turnip....ooohhhh look BLENDER.

So to sum up this little miss understanding....i introduce another piece of the puzzle...one that not one person here even knew existed.... Question but after watching i think we will all realize one thing...WE ARE TRYING TO DEBATE A QUESTION AS OLD AS MAN....and in the end we will all still disagree....we will all still have our own personal belief.....and we will all be just as full of shit as before we started...oooohhh yeah..heres the video....which may just be the missing piece to this puzzel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwvs8eYt6E

creatrix

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
creatrix wrote:
Well, proof is kind of tricky, as I'm sure you know.

Tricky for the professed atheist Smile
creatrix wrote:
Basically, science doesn't seek to "proove" complex theories, only to invalidate them with evidence that refutes the theory.

But my question was: How is it possible to prove anything according to your worldview?, I didn't even mention science.

Still though, science itself is dependent on the uniformity of nature (the assumption that the future will be like the past), which cannot be accounted for outside of God.
creatrix wrote:
Proof that something exists can be obtained. One only needs to be able to see the effects it has in a quantifiable, repeatable manner. Same rules that apply to prove that a photon exists or a muon.

Proof requires both truth and knowledge. How do you know that the senses with which you observe anything, and the reasoning with which you interpret your senses are reliable? Without being able to account for the reliability of your senses or your reasoning, proof is impossible.
creatrix wrote:
When you let a million people die in a terrorist attack you could have prevented by doing something that we can all agree is morally reprehensible, are you doing good by refusing, or are you doing evil?

The premise of your question is flawed. You are 'begging the question,' by assuming that morality is based on 'agreement.' One does 'good' when one acts in accordance with the character of God, and 'evil' when one acts contrary to it. Without an absolute standard, morality is entirely arbitrary.
creatrix wrote:
Harming another, in most instances is wrong.

The very concept of 'harm' requires an absolute standard, without it, the term is meaningless.
creatrix wrote:
For instance, will you agree that it's worng to take a knife and cut open a living human being?

As you have noted, the description of this act is too broad to assign an absolute. This however, in no way implies that there are no moral absolutes.

Cheers,

Sye

1. Who's a professed atheist? I'm an agnostic with theistic leanings.

2. Proof of existence requires predictability. Numbers don't lie. If you can mathematically extrapolate the influence something will have on its surroundings in a quanitfiable and repeatable manner, you're in. As I said, the same rules apply as do for quanta. It's not about seeing what's there and writing it down (senses) but rather about hypothesizing a rule and using that rule to predict results. If the results are correct, then the rule lives to be tested again. If not, it is discarded and a new rule is hypothesized. If no data can be found to negate a rule, it becomes a working theory... until something comes along that runs contrary to the predictions of that rule when applied, at which pint it is discarded (or the equation is reworked to account for the new information. Newton did this with planetary orbits - he postulated epicycles. Then Kelper came along and postulated eliptical orbits, which we now believe to be the case. So even if we can't define God, such an entity should be able to be proven to exist simply by virtue of it's effects upon the universe around it. Remember: as we learn more, we are chipping away at what we call "metaphysical." As we find the physical properties previously unknown to man that are responsible for effects, we do not have non-physical explanations anymore. case in point, we know "know" (that is to say we have a theory that strongly suggests) that disease is caused by bacteria, viruses and protein "misfolds." Not demons. We now "know" (again, this is a theory that could one day be disproved) that gravity keeps the planets in orbit, not the spheres as postulated by the Greeks.

IMHO, we should not be looking for God through a telescope, but a microscope.

Nevertheless, in order for one to define the character of God, one must first be able to determine if God exists, and although many of us - myself included - feel strongly that such an entity exists, are we not rather remiss in insisting it based solely upon our senses, which you have so adeptly pointed out, can be very flawed? Good and evil, then, can only be responsibly characterized by their effects upon the world. So which are you asserting is in accordance with the character of God? The hypothetical molestation, or the hypothetical doing nothing to stop the death of a million people? The closest to a moral absolute that I can see is the responsibility to minimize harm. Ahimsa.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Designed2522 wrote:
I believe in science not religion!!!! Science is fact.... Religion is false hope...
Let me expand on an earlier point. Science can only be done because nature is assumed to be uniform. That is, we assume that the future will be like the past. We assume that under the same circumstances, fire WILL burn tomorrow as it has yesterday. Without this assumption science is impossible. We could not learn from the past, if we did not assume that the future will resemble the past. Problem is, the non-theist has exactly zero basis for assuming that the future will even PROBABLY be like the past. Saying "The future will be like the past, because the future has always been like the past, in the past, is entirely circular.

To those who deny that God controls the universe, in such a way that makes science possible, trust in science becomes blind faith, and the religion of those who do it. No doubt, people here will deny that proposition, but I simply ask, on what basis do you assume that the future will be like the past?

Cheers,

Sye

Actually, we *do* have a reason to believe the future will be the same: it always has been. You have very nicely tapped into the essence of science. If ever a single piece of evidence arises to suggest that fire will NOT burn tomorrow as it does today, our understanding of the universe will fly right out the window. You are correct. However, no such evidence has come to light as yet. So we can PREDICT with relative certainty that it will be as it has always been. And guess what: that prediction is always true. When it fails, then we will have to start over, but for now we will work with what we have, as it seems to work quite well.

So what does the theist have that the non-theist lacks? They, too, believe fire will burn the same, only they attribute this to an arbitrary whim of God? How does this effect your living? Do you still have a smoke detector in your child's room? Or is that just one of those blind faith sciency things that seeks to deny a God who could make a fire burn up your child in his bed without a wisp of smoke?

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:03 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Gort wrote:
The fossil record is an amazing thing. It does not require faith to believe in it, it simply is.
But it is interpreted subject to our presuppositions.
Gort wrote:
We have an unbelievable amount of fossils detailing the evolutionary process of animals on this planet. I believe that some folks misunderstand the amount information that is known.
See, this is exactly what I mean, the fossil record in no way shows an evolutionary process, all it shows is that some things died, it does not, and cannot show that one thing became another - THAT takes faith.

Just out of curiosity though, how do you kow that the reasoning you use to interpret the fiossil record is reliable?

Cheers,

Sye

You are suggesting a very clear misunderstanding of the evolutionary process. One thing does not "become" another, nor does an ape give birth to a human. You are not the same as your father, right? And he is different from his father? If you can concede that reproduction produces variety within a species, then you must conceed that that variety, over billions of years, would result in speciation. Germ theory rests entirely upon evolution and allows us to develop vaccines, antibiotics, and other treatments for disease. We have seen it happen. Like the theory of gravitation, and like your fire burning today as yesterday, there has never been any evidence to the contrary, so while God may have the ability to shake it all up for us, He hasn't yet, so we work with what we have.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 am   Reply with quote         

photoshopmaster jr wrote:
FootFungas wrote:
I believe the earth was created in 7 literal days (morning and evening)
I don't know how old the earth is but I don't believe its billions of years old. I'd say 10,000 is pretty close.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
See, this is exactly what I mean, the fossil record in no way shows an evolutionary process, all it shows is that some things died, it does not, and cannot show that one thing became another - THAT takes faith.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

SO FUNNY

Be careful - I'm enjoying this conversation. Please don't bash and get us shut down!!

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 am   Reply with quote         

Who's a professed atheist? I'm an agnostic with theistic leanings..... Shocked
HEY....HEY.....wait a second.....let's not cram all the big words together in one sentence..... Cool.....i get CON' FUZ' ED

We should not be looking for God through a telescope, but a microscope.....EUREKA....i have got it......everyone gather round.......come on squeeze in... Confused Who farted????..........What if we place a slide prepared for the microscope...infront of the telescope?????.....HUH???...tell me that ain't just genius.....what would ya'll do without me.. Rolling Eyes ..by george I have done it again....Just when i thought i could get no lower....i go and redeem myself. bounce Bow

hail wesley

creatrix

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:08 am   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
ha! I just got done reading a book called Weird Georgia and it had tons of newspaper articles and information that was reported in papers about the Troup-Heard County Corrider.. which is where UFO's hang.

Apparently UFO's are there. LaGrange Ga is the UFO capital of the USA.. and hey I used to live there. lol. I never saw one UFO either. That really makes me mad to have been there and missed it. We've covered UFO's sort of now. Maybe all those Baptists I saw were the aliens.

But the best part of this book was the part that said UFO's come out
1-only during the week ( not the weekend)and Sunday/Monday being the best day to see them
2- only at night between 10pm and 4 am
3- usually in the dead of winter

Laughing

Damn, I adore the Marks!! I'm a Jersey girl, and I've been reading the WNJ mag for years. remember, though - their job is recording local folklore, not facts! :lol

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
dewdew wrote:
close it down.....CLOSE IT DOWN

What is it about intellegent discussion that gets you people so nervous? This thread has been 'alive' for 374 posts and over a year, but as soon as I show up to ask a few pointed questions, people start getting antsy. What gives? (Actaully I know, but perhaps one of you could spell it out).

Cheers,

Sye

AMEN!

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

Gort wrote:
The fossil record is an amazing thing. It does not require faith to believe in it, it simply is.

You have to believe the assumptions made about it.
I believe in the fossil record.
I do not believe in the assumptions that every x-number of feet is another million years.
for example, there are fossilized trees standing straight up that go through "millions of years" in the fossil record.

Gort wrote:
We have an amazingly clear record of the evolution of whales, from bear-like land mammal, to river predators, to primative whales, to modern whales.

We also have a great series of transitional fossils illustrating how fish evolved into land animals.

You don't have "amazingly clear" evidence.
you take scattered pieces and piece together a supposed progression of creatures.

creatrix

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:58 am   Reply with quote         

FootFungas wrote:
Gort wrote:

You have to believe the assumptions made about it.
I believe in the fossil record.
I do not believe in the assumptions that every x-number of feet is another million years.
for example, there are fossilized trees standing straight up that go through "millions of years" in the fossil record.

Gort wrote:
We have an amazingly clear record of the evolution of whales, from bear-like land mammal, to river predators, to primative whales, to modern whales.

We also have a great series of transitional fossils illustrating how fish evolved into land animals.

You don't have "amazingly clear" evidence.
you take scattered pieces and piece together a supposed progression of creatures.

I think genetic material supports the claim, though. Also, it's not the depth that helps to determine age, but the strata.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:09 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
shall we now introduce the chaos theory?

I think Canuck has done. I mean, if a God could arbitrarily make fire cease to burn, things would get pretty choatic, would they not? Wink

(I liked Butterfly Effect. Very much.)

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:33 pm   Reply with quote         

What FF said about fossilized trees. There are fossilized trees, whole forest of them that are erect and passing through several strata which are undisturbed around them. The trees would have had to have fossilized, and stood erect for millions of years for the different layers to form around them.
I also do not think any genetic material has been proposed in the making of the horse, or whale evolutionary ladder , whatever ya call it, they are a collection of fossils which have similarities that have been laid out side by side to be used as proof of progression, yet we have no reason to believe that any of those fossils had offspring that became the other fossils.

splodge

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

not fossilized trees, petrified trees Smile
fossilized trees are called coal,

Petrified wood (from the Greek root "petro" meaning "rock" or "stone", literally "wood turned into stone") is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals (most often a silicate, such as quartz), while retaining the original structure of the wood. The petrifaction process occurs underground, when wood becomes buried under sediment and is initially preserved due to a lack of oxygen. Mineral-rich water flowing through the sediment deposits minerals in the plant's cells and as the plant's lignin and cellulose decay away, a stone mould forms in its place.

Elements such as manganese, iron and copper in the water/mud during the petrification process give petrified wood a variety of color ranges. Pure quartz crystals are colorless, but when contaminants are added to the process the crystals take on a yellow, red or other tint.

Hallcross Toots

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - non-bashing religious topic - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.