Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Choppers as Magicians? - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:06 pm   Reply with quote         

The thought just occured to me (I know "another one"? who knew?)...Anyway what was I saying? Oh yeah! Idea

The thought occured to me that my view on other artists' chopping is like my view on a great magician's tricks and/or illusions. With both I'm always awed by somebody who is really good at what they do. That awe creates a desire in me to know "how'd they do that?".

Since I know the "secrets" of how I do my own work I can easily see the "smoke and mirrors" that I used to get the effect (doesnt' help that I suck still). I guess this is why I don't see my stuff as anywhere near worthy of the votes it's gotten (but I do appreciate each and every vote and comment so please don't stop because of my inferiority complex!!).

However other people's tricks still utterly amaze me (like claf's dog-from-a-drill). Even after I've seen how they do it (thanks again claf!) I'm still amazed that it's the littlest details that make the effect truly work.

So I guess that, Just like a good magician's illusion, the effect of a good chop is achieved by the attention to the small details that distract the viewer from the truth.

Thanks for letting me spout off again.

[Applause for all the really great artists here that continue to amaze, entertain and help all us newbies! There's too many of you to list. So I won't Wink ]

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:08 am   Reply with quote         

nice one Tofu, lets raise a glass of the bubbly stuff to all the crazy magic choppers out there.

and ya getting better every post Tofu, stop putting yaself down man

laters

MB

splodge

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:01 am   Reply with quote         

they think i'm some kind of witch in doncaster, damn pagans, they keep trying to throw me on a bonfire Shocked

Hallcross Toots
TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:41 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
they think i'm some kind of witch in doncaster, damn pagans, they keep trying to through me on a bonfire Shocked

Sad you mean you're not a witch doctor? Talk about a bubble being burst...

Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:47 pm   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
nice one Tofu, lets raise a glass of the bubbly stuff to all the crazy magic choppers out there.

and ya getting better every post Tofu, stop putting yaself down man

laters

MB

Thanks Marco! Very Happy

I didn't mean for my original post to sound like a pity party at all. I view myself as the amatuer still but I know that "practice makes perfect". I guess it should've said "I suck compared to the really good artists here but I'm gonna get there someday!"

Mainly I just posted to point out the similarities between a really great chop and a really great magician's illusion. It struck me that the more I learn about chopping the more I can recognize the "smoke and mirrors" that other people are using to create their own illusions. I'm also learning how to hide my own smoke and mirrors in my presentations. Sometimes I'm hit-or-miss on hiding but I learn with each entry. I may be new at this but I think that my bag of tricks is getting better.

Another thing that I noticed is that, like magicians, each of the choppers here have their own styles of presentation. It's really kinda fascinating if you stop and think about it...

tof-out.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am   Reply with quote         

Two-and-a-half years later and I still say this is true and it still fascinates me when I look at the shared PSDs. Cool

dewdew

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:20 am   Reply with quote         

Hey.....wanna see me pull a rabbit out of my hat.. Cool (hat was not my first choice Laughing ) We have some wonderful talent here...and TOFU my friend..you are one of those talents....the thing is your learning...but at the same time..i bet even Claf learns new ways to do things. Sources and what your looking for and how to choose them i think is the key....no matter how nice it is...seeing how they used the texture to make grass..and stucco for water. That and the shear clarity of a ipod someone made that was so real looking...i tried to plug in the usb after putting my headphones on Shocked
edit:
So while your looking at the smoke and mirrors...i'm sitting back here with drool in my keyboard...thinking.... scratch where did he go??....and quiet frankly....i'm a little scared Sad .....sorta like if the person at the office beside you...reached up and twisted his ear....then a section above his hair line opened up like on a movie).....NOT total freakout scared.....just scared because...that just went against everything i THOUGHT i knew. Neutral Please
edit again:
I guess i'm still so new...when i want water.....WATER is what i type in the search bar Doh!
Here is an idea...although i am sure not original.....but i want to take a THUG looking black guy....and make him a redneck white boy...and vise versa....i think if you could pull that off without anyone being able to tell..... Cool ...that would be sweet....or take an pe'tite Asian woman....and make her a big hairy construction worker....those would be the only two chops you would need in a portfolio.....maybe a chimp into a human....lets see how close they really are.
i'm back:
DAMN THEM PAGAN'S......buncha tree huggers....poof.... Surprised hey...check it out i gotta tail...I'M SORRY Crying or Very sad

Martrex

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes Tofu study Dew Dews stuff and you will be sure to learn many things. Not about PS or art but your vocabulary will expand! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just poking fun guys put those weapons down!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Choppers as Magicians? - Reply to topic