Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question? - Reply to topic

cherylm329

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:10 am   Reply with quote         

I am doing a poster for a local band and I am not sure about two things. I am hoping someone here can help me. I am not sure what size I should make the poster so it will print in poster size and when I tried to print some of the fonts they don't come out as clear as they do in photoshop. Any input would be greatly appreciated Smile

ScionShade

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 am   Reply with quote         

Fonts--text--GAH! My memory is so bad--
I've heard it so many times--always do
text work for printing in Adobe ILLUSTRATOR!
HA! I remembered!
I imagine the bigger the image for printing the better.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:34 am   Reply with quote         

Hey Cheryl,
Start with your canvas at a fairly large size, at the proper WxH ratio, I like to work at 300dpi; are you going to print this yourself? Or are you taking it to a professional to do it? If you send it out, keep the file as large as you can, save it as a TIFF file, because most printers can work easily from there, it's better than a JPEG, quality wise. The printer can resize the work to fit his stock.
Also post what you come up with so we can see it, and maybe help with an idea Very Happy

cherylm329

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:56 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
Hey Cheryl,
Start with your canvas at a fairly large size, at the proper WxH ratio, I like to work at 300dpi; are you going to print this yourself? Or are you taking it to a professional to do it? If you send it out, keep the file as large as you can, save it as a TIFF file, because most printers can work easily from there, it's better than a JPEG, quality wise. The printer can resize the work to fit his stock.
Also post what you come up with so we can see it, and maybe help with an idea Very Happy

Not sure what dpi (something per inch, haha?) is since I am self taught using adobe. I usually go by H & W size (right now it's at 2000x2000). Not sure my friend that is in the band is going to have it printed or I may have to take it to a professional, we haven't decided yet. I am not finished playing with different styles of the poster yet, but my friend seems to like this one I made and likes the idea (they like shapeshifting or a chameleon thing), but he wants to change the symbol to something a little more ledgable, but keep it basically the same. It's suppose to say From This Day. They are a hardcore band here, there myspace is here http://www.myspace.com/fromthisday They are also looking for some kind of off the wall designs or as he said "crazy designs..or some crazy stuff for t-shirts...especially anything sinister." If anyone wants to help your more than welcome, I am sure it would be appreciated on both of our parts. Oh yeah, just for the record he wanted the symbol to be over there faces like that and the space underneath to be white for writing and such, which I am having a problem getting it to come out clear on a regular printer.

[/img]

cherylm329

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:58 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
Fonts--text--GAH! My memory is so bad--
I've heard it so many times--always do
text work for printing in Adobe ILLUSTRATOR!
HA! I remembered!
I imagine the bigger the image for printing the better.

Thanks Scion Smile

mikey

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 am   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:08 am   Reply with quote         

300 dpi.. for print photoshop has an A4 setting.
and A3

make sure your compatabilities are corrects too...
CMYK!!!

Heinlein

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:14 am   Reply with quote         

Cheryl,

When I design posters that usually contain mostly images, I stay within photoshop keeping the page size at 300 dpi, mode cmyk.

When you have finished your design, be sure to flatten your layers, make sure your file is cmyk, then save as a print ready pdf.

I have found that many printers prefer print ready pdfs to run on a digital press.

I have found this to be fool proof with no rasterization of text.

If you have any problems or other questions, pm me.

Jim Smile

yello_piggy

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:08 pm   Reply with quote         

A4, 300dpi an CMYK is all you need. It will be enough for a poster in A1-format.

Micose

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:41 pm   Reply with quote         

I would really enjoy doing some CD covers/posters... its a great creative way of working.
Thx for sharing this work u are doing. I really like the white space with texture u did....
Very Happy Cool

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question? - Reply to topic