Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - voting concerns - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I am a newbie to this site... and I have a few concerns in regards to voting.

From looking around at the comments, the votes and in the forums, I have noticed that voting is not done fairly. People are already voting for images, when not all of the entries are actually in yet. I'm not too sure, but it appears that people are allowed to vote more than once, but I am not allowed to vote yet and I don't really know how it works. That being stated, it still seems unfair for people to already have 30 votes, when other entries aren't even in. It is really no wonder that the people with the best stats are in their respective positions. I understand that if you become a financially contributing member, then you have access to images ahead of time, and conversely, more time to work on an image. I don't understand why any voting happens immediately, and feel it is only fair to vote once the contest is closed.

And a side concern...

It appears that people play favourites (it is spelled this way in Canada) in their voting, and I would like some responses to this point from those of you whom have been long standing members... How does all of this work?

thanks d.

ScionShade

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:01 pm   Reply with quote         

After ya post ten chops, you'll get 25 votes per contest.
The site is community based and that basically equates to,
after much testing and experimenting this system has worked pretty much the best, even though it has had and will continue to have what many consider flaws.
The chop game here is addictive, as you get involved you'll
find the good and bad of it all.
All I can say is of all the places to play the chop game..this is clearly the best. Give it a chance, you'll see.
Best of luck to ya.
Smile

Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:00 pm   Reply with quote         

It should also be noted that advantage users get more time to work on contest entries than standard users.

Likewise, it should be pointed out that all voting begins only when a contest has started, not prior, which provides an even chance for all entrants.

Sure, non-advantage users are at a disadvantage when it comes to entering when a contest starts, but with a bit of practice, entering often, (for critiques and improving your photoshop skills) along with a pretty good idea for what to chop a current running contest, you can potentially obtain more votes by the end of a contest than members that have entered well in advance... just wait and see, you might do pretty good here... Raising Brow

Oscar

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:33 am   Reply with quote         

318830 wrote:
I am a newbie to this site... and I have a few concerns in regards to voting.

From looking around at the comments, the votes and in the forums, I have noticed that voting is not done fairly. People are already voting for images, when not all of the entries are actually in yet. I'm not too sure, but it appears that people are allowed to vote more than once, but I am not allowed to vote yet and I don't really know how it works. That being stated, it still seems unfair for people to already have 30 votes, when other entries aren't even in. It is really no wonder that the people with the best stats are in their respective positions. I understand that if you become a financially contributing member, then you have access to images ahead of time, and conversely, more time to work on an image. I don't understand why any voting happens immediately, and feel it is only fair to vote once the contest is closed.

And a side concern...

It appears that people play favourites (it is spelled this way in Canada) in their voting, and I would like some responses to this point from those of you whom have been long standing members... How does all of this work?

thanks d.

yup your screwed Laughing

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:12 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing FC

seriously though, like Sci and Dave say above, give it a try, maybe even get the 3 month advantage, and feel the fun.

There is no other site that entertains so much in my opinion.

there alot of pretenders though.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:01 am   Reply with quote         

Wait...

Shocked

We VOTE here??

Why doesn't anyone TELL me these things!

TheShaman

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:09 am   Reply with quote         

What they all said.

You were also very unlucky to start your PSC adventure with two prize competition entries, votes are harder to come by during those contests. Keep at it. I've been Advantaged for over a year now, but sometimes for fun (like todays river bridge contest) I waited till the contest opened to see what was out there and then began like the non-advantaged people did. I'll get back to this post after the compo ends (prob monday) and you can see how I did.

Non-advantage members have just as much chance of winning as advantaged... Sure if you enter 8hours after the competition starts your chances diminish, but if you get it in within the first say 2hours you should still have a good chance.
But if you go into a competition with the attitude, that I can't compete cause they got a head start, you'll never win here or in real life. All it really takes is a great idea thats well executed to win these comp's, not the head start.

Good luck

Sean

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 am   Reply with quote         

There might be some favortism, but despite that the best image always wins Smile Welcome to PSC Cool

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:42 am   Reply with quote         

I have to respectfully disagree with some of Mr. Shaman's statements.
TheShaman wrote:
You were also very unlucky to start your PSC adventure with two prize competition entries, votes are harder to come by during those contests.
In my experience non-advantage members have better chance of winning in anonymous contests. Case in point - myself and Sliver some time ago (pre-advantage). In regular contests most of the voting happens in the 'sort-by-votes' page, so one has to get the ball rolling early in the game. That said, there do exist some inspiring 'coming-from-behind' victories.

TheShaman wrote:
Non-advantage members have just as much chance of winning as advantaged... Sure if you enter 8hours after the competition starts your chances diminish, but if you get it in within the first say 2hours you should still have a good chance.
West coast are more disadvantaged than the rest of the world - they have to start work at 5:00 am to be on par with the rest of the disadvantaged world.

TheShaman wrote:
But if you go into a competition with the attitude, that I can't compete cause they got a head start, you'll never win here or in real life. All it really takes is a great idea thats well executed to win these comp's, not the head start.
Oh, head start helps a lot. But the beauty of the non-advantage status is that, when you get the right idea at the right time, the feeling of kicking advantaged butt is priceless Very Happy

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:46 am   Reply with quote         

You bring up some good points nube, a lot of voting takes place early, giving late entries a harder time to catch up, like Shaman said, don't wait 8+ hours to get in, work hard to get in by noon, this can be a real challenge in itself, but if you do a great job, the votes will flow, and if Anfa, Rey Rey, & Marco are not entered, you may just have a shot... Shocked Laughing Crying or Very sad

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:51 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing Shocked Mr. Green Hmmm Doh!

TheShaman

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:53 am   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
I have to respectfully disagree with some of Mr. Shaman's statements.

looks like you disagree with 'all of my statements' Laughing
to reiterate

I know that in anom contests anyone has a good shot of winning, and that the disadvantaged have won those, but that wasn't my point.
my point was I only spend about 10 -15 votes on prize contests. I hardly ever hand out all 25. so only the best of the best get a vote for those contests, is what I was referring too (I normally do all my voting at the very end of those contests, minus the first maybe 5 initial votes when I hand them out to the early birds)

also I did say to get your entry in within the 2hour window for a fair shot volks. sorry if you live in a further time zone. I'm in Chicago the contests here start at 7am.

and I agree. its good to see the non-advantaged win. I've been there done that. twice even Wink (never for prizes though they didn't have those when I was disadvantaged.)

I guess my real point was, you don't need to be early, you just have to have good ideas that are well executed. Wink

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Newbie,
Nothing like the challenge of time constraints to motivate ones creative juices....that being said here in Calif post time is 5 am ....so my days prior to advantAge membership i was bright eyed and bushy tailed and in front of the monitor every morning at 5 sharp ....hopeing that a decent idea will hit me and i can get an entry in by 7 or 8.........those days did one thing ....pushed my creativity (or lack therof)lol...and forced me to work as fast as i could.....ergo also learning new and improved ways(techniques) of doing things in a more expiditious fashion........As for votes ...IMHO ....those who REALLY give a shit shouldn't be here.....yes votes are fine and dandy (damn did I just say "dandy"?) anyhoo but again IMHO ,I was always under the impression we are here to meet others w like interests,help those we can,learn from those who can help and freaking have fun........80% of the time my entries are in way after noon here and they are NOT winners by any means .....allot of them are just to "hopefully" make ya laugh....think or say WTF.....its all about the creativity and the chop......and if votes are so important stay w it and learn from those that can teach and in due time your votes will come......!!

WARNING be wary of Anfa,Rey Rey and Marco....they are all actually one 9 year old girl in bangladesh with a wind up computer and PS 3.0.....but I tell ya shes one hell of a chopper!!!!.....Bwahahahahahahaha

So welcome .......pump the brakes a bit ....relax and enjoy ....oh and did I mention once You are a member here theres NO turning back you are officially a Lunatic ...residing here in our virtual Asylum ....bwahahahahahahahah AM I MENTAL????

5150 SLOWLY STEPS DOWN OFF HIS CUSTOM MADE SOAP BOX..

AND LIKE I TELL ALL MY DATES.....SORRY THIS THINGS SOOOOO LONG....BWAHAHAHAHAHAAH...I SLAY ME!!!

Granulated

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

318830 wrote:
I am a newbie to this site...

Truthfully ?

Granulated

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:26 pm   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
There might be some favortism, but despite that the best image always wins Smile Welcome to PSC Cool

Cheryl, the consumate diplomat.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - voting concerns - Reply to topic