Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - pencil drawing - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

splodge

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:52 pm   Reply with quote         

anyone ever found a tutorial about drawing that actually helped then? >man>pencil>paper, no computer and no smart ares saying " well first you must know how to draw"
as a kid i could draw like a demon, embarrassed my teachers a few times, but along came alcohol, then much later cameras, motorbikes, and girls, I'd love to start drawing again

Hallcross Toots

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:09 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
as a kid i could draw like a demon, embarrassed my teachers a few times, but along came alcohol, then much later cameras, motorbikes, and girls, I'd love to start drawing again

And that was me.
Used to draw/sketch/paint like a madman...then discovered cameras and photoshop and the rest is history. My best advoce is just to pick up a pencil again and give it a go. It'll take a little while to get back into the swing of it...but it's just like riding a bike...falling off STILL hurts.

Smile

ScionShade

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Ditto

splodge

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:51 pm   Reply with quote         

i was doodling on the back of a beer mat/coaster the other week, a stone circle, hey that looks great she said, looks like grave stones she said, can i have that, I'd love to have it tattooed around my arm she said, but theres nothing wrong with your tits i said, she got the beer mat, i narrowly avoided a black eye(she said:) if she has it done you will see it first on PSC.com

Hallcross Toots

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:55 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
i was doodling on the back of a beer mat/coaster the other week, a stone circle, hey that looks great she said, looks like grave stones she said, can i have that, I'd love to have it tattooed around my arm she said, but theres nothing wrong with your tits i said, she got the beer mat, i narrowly avoided a black eye(she said:) if she has it done you will see it first on PSC.com

Laughing

Micose

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Drawing = this essential link : http://drawsketch.about.com/od/humananatomy/Human_Anatomy_for_Artists.htmential page . Good luck! : Cool
Marx-Man

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

draw circles and equalateral triangles left and right directions... Until you have enough muscle memory in you fingers and wrists to do them flawlessly... and enough stength not to get cramp in your hands from drawing.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:13 am   Reply with quote         

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:26 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:04 pm   Reply with quote         

we should all get back to pencil and paper, i rocked 2 a few years ago Sad

Micose

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:
Drawing = this essential link : http://drawsketch.about.com/od/humananatomy/Human_Anatomy_for_Artists.htmential page . Good luck! : Cool

Granulated

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:22 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
anyone ever found a tutorial about drawing that actually helped then? >man>pencil>paper, no computer and no smart ares saying " well first you must know how to draw"

first you need to get all those little muscles in your hand working again.

im looking for some good choots for you.

Crowned

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey Splodge,

I have suffered from so many bad teachers that did not have enough knowledge at the time to explain things in terms of left and right side of the brain. The right side of the brain is where things take place when you draw. But, for most of us, when we start drawing, the left brain side, who is specialized in recognizing forms and objects tends to anticiapte what you are doing and any line you draw is none sense if it does not match what he (the left side) has in memory. So the left side will tell you that you are wrong and that object you are trying to draw is beurkk. Then unconsciensly, we give-up drawing because it opposes the left side of the brain to the right one. The right side is good in term of space and it doesn't have the notion of time.

One of the best things I tried to learn (or to overcome the left side inhibition) is to draw an up-side-down object. It worked pretty good. The only thing you should do is to make sure you do not know what the object is (ask a friend to send an up-side-down picture of an object) . Then start reproducing the lines and shapes you see. The trick is that your left side will fastly decide that there is nothing to be categorized and let you reproduce the lines as they are.

I think this book is the reference: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards (Tarhcer Penguin). It is a must.

Here are two of my drawings (notice that this is an improvement compared to what I did before):
first, done in 10 hours (2004)

second, done in 30 minutes, it was a very quick sketch (2006):

Now I know I can draw if I want to, surely it takes me more time than those who learned to draw at a young age.

Marx-Man

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:39 pm   Reply with quote         

I wouldn't hold your breath with that drawing...

Needs a fair amount of work...

Recreation is a vry difficult thing, it requires alot f practise and a working knowledge of the aspects your going to draw.. for eample i would need to know he muscles and boes of the hands before i consider drawing it acuratly in many different positions.

Anatomy is a must for human recreation.

also look up japanese manga techniques for recreating curtains and fabric...

Colour... the brain wants to see the world in bright vivid colour... always over estimating the colour required.. the colors used are very dull dark or very pale pale...

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - pencil drawing - Reply to topic