Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - turning into glass - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Marx-Man

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:11 am   Reply with quote         

slaps forehead... don't forget the shadows, refractions and reflections...

Some things to remember.

Opacity of the glass... (Changes where the glass thickens.. "reyreys gradients" deal wih that) Shadows are affected by the opacity of the glass.

Texture of the surface.

Displacement of the background. (Over all refracton)
Distortion of the background (texture refraction)

Reflection, not only affects specular but also any lens flare. also the background being reflected can take precident over the shadows on the glass

Reflection is subject to texture aswell.

Shadows on and cast by the glass not only obscure the light at the edges but if the glass is curved convex then it will amplify the light... possibly to the point of setting fire to the surface it is directed at. (magnifying glass and ant)
as for cocave the light will be directed outwards. shadows cate by glass often have a highlight area and a normal shadow area.
Unless it is a flat panel in which case blemishes on the glass are cast along with a very faint shadow.

Lastly reverse reflections as with hollow glass structures..

put em all in a bag. shake em up and ya result.

FootFungas

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:07 am   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:

It doesn't look very spherical.
more like a giant contact lens.
needs more highlights and shadows on the main body, not just around the edges.

sage

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:23 am   Reply with quote         

LENS FLARE! LENS FLARE! DON'T FORGET THE LENS FLARE! Rolling Eyes

I think DEWKING has an amazing glass cards thingy in his portfolio. I'm too lazy to look for it, but I'm sure the next person will post the link. Twisted Evil

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:43 am   Reply with quote         

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:48 am   Reply with quote         

your missing the point, or maybe I am...I thought this was about turning objects into glass not making your own out of nothing. Where's the ridges on the globe? and how the hell are you going to do that to the building and the bricks too? Rolling Eyes

anyway, looks good marx....and can you explain why you changed the point of light from the original position? It was a photograph, the light was correct to begin with IMHO....All tho no shadow added yet. (just wondering)

Marx-Man

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:50 am   Reply with quote         

Lol ok then do better with the materials given please steps aside.

Marx-Man

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 am   Reply with quote         

Less than Zero wrote:
your missing the point, or maybe I am...I thought this was about turning objects into glass not making your own out of nothing. Where's the ridges on the globe? and how the hell are you going to do that to the building and the bricks too? Rolling Eyes

anyway, looks good marx....and can you explain why you changed the point of light from the original position? It was a photograph, the light was correct to begin with IMHO....All tho no shadow added yet. (just wondering)

well ok.. ill explain

firstlly the glass was constructed from the dome... and using the light source

as the ridges become more and more transparent they become obscured. to put an accent on them would ruin the glass
one looks better but one is as real as it should be.. i prefer the real over the fictional

cafn8d

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

Here's my latest attempt at glass... click on the first link in the author's notes for a still shot of the empty bottle.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/114802/refreshing-gif.html
Play around with % fill (including 0!), multiple layers, layer masks, and bevel/emboss. The bevel/emboss wasn't clean inside the shape of the bottle, and I had to merge layers to trim the excess... but I made sure to duplicate the original layers first, in case I needed to go back for any editing. I was pleased with how mine turned out, but as you can tell, I only got there by playing around with several factors...

ReyRey

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I tried to do a quick image. Here is the before and after and the layered file. Hope it helps. It's not perfect, but it might help.

Layered file
http://www.box.net/shared/gpip20dsxm

cafn8d

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:15 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
I tried to do a quick image. Here is the before and after and the layered file. Hope it helps. It's not perfect, but it might help.

That's a QUICK image?! WOW!! Even (briefly) looking at the PSD, I still don't know how you did that... Maybe you could write a tutorial? Very Happy

ReyRey

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:22 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

That's a QUICK image?! WOW!! Even (briefly) looking at the PSD, I still don't know how you did that... Maybe you could write a tutorial? Very Happy

I'm not good at writing tuts. I do better just posting a layered file.
Smile

Stevster

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Here was my lame attempt back in the day. Laughing

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/97442/easily-broken.html

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:46 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Layered file
http://www.box.net/public/b45lzejj34

ReyRey - do you still have a layered file for the "rose vase" image? I'd love to see that if you still have it. "Rose vase" is the first image on my favorites page. I've mentioned this to Rey before - Rose vase is the image that caught my eye when I landed at PSC looking for tutorials, and the image that intrigued me enough to return to join here.
Thanks, Evelyn

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Here's my attempt

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/101887/glass.html

pardon my struggles with the reflections on this one - still learning reflections even now

ReyRey

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Evelyn wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
Layered file
http://www.box.net/public/b45lzejj34

ReyRey - do you still have a layered file for the "rose vase" image? I'd love to see that if you still have it. "Rose vase" is the first image on my favorites page. I've mentioned this to Rey before - Rose vase is the image that caught my eye when I landed at PSC looking for tutorials, and the image that intrigued me enough to return to join here.
Thanks, Evelyn

Sorry Sad I don't have that anymore.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - turning into glass - Reply to topic