Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Any ASP coders that can answer this? - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 01, 2007 11:55 am   Reply with quote         

I've been working on a ASP web application for work (note ASP not ASP.Net). The system is very dependent on two entered dates and the differences between those two dates.

When I attempt to use DateDiff() I'm getting wacky results. If I put in 5/2/2007 (May 2nd, 2007) and 5/19/2007 (May 19th, 2007) I get a result of something to the order of 103 days difference. It's like the function is treating the first date as January 5th instead of May 1st. This is happening in spite of my regional settings on the server. Confused

Any site coders out there that know why this is and how to get around it?

Also if I have the input boxes of my form set to default a date it's coming in the format of "5.2.2007" instead of "5/2/2007". Again this is contrary to the regional settings on the computer.

Note: I've posted this to a Usenet group but I'm hoping that someone here will know the issue (ahem, Azionite, Showcase, etc.). Also ASP using VBScript is not my choice for scripting. It's an order. Wink

Post Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I've been working on a ASP web application for work (note ASP not ASP.Net). The system is very dependent on two entered dates and the differences between those two dates.

When I attempt to use DateDiff() I'm getting wacky results. If I put in 5/2/2007 (May 2nd, 2007) and 5/19/2007 (May 19th, 2007) I get a result of something to the order of 103 days difference. It's like the function is treating the first date as January 5th instead of May 1st. This is happening in spite of my regional settings on the server. Confused

Any site coders out there that know why this is and how to get around it?

Also if I have the input boxes of my form set to default a date it's coming in the format of "5.2.2007" instead of "5/2/2007". Again this is contrary to the regional settings on the computer.

Note: I've posted this to a Usenet group but I'm hoping that someone here will know the issue (ahem, Azionite, Showcase, etc.). Also ASP using VBScript is not my choice for scripting. It's an order. Wink

*Ahem... Does this help at all:
Are you specifying which part of the date you are comparing (day, month, year..)

http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=y2k.asp

Oh, and make sure that whatever you are comparing is being cast as a date (CDate function) before you're comparing it. I'm not sure if DateDiff will handle string dates the same as Dates...

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 01, 2007 12:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:

*Ahem... Does this help at all:
Are you specifying which part of the date you are comparing (day, month, year..)

http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=y2k.asp

Yep. Shoulda posted some code huh? Doh!

Code:

dim ArrivalDate, DepartureDate, NumNights

ArrivalDate = request.form("txtArrivalDate")
DepartureDate = request.form("txtDepartureDate")

NumNights = Datediff("d", cdate(ArrivalDate),cdate(DepartureDate))

Also this is IIS 5 on a Win2k Server.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 01, 2007 3:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Az PM'd me with a few suggestions. This was the result for anyone that is curious.

I added this little snippet before my original code

Code:
   'Testing variables
   dim CurrentDate, NextDate
   CurrentDate = Date()

response.write(CurrentDate & "<br>")

NextDate = DateAdd("d", 4, CurrentDate)

response.write("4 Days from now is " & NextDate & "<br>")

response.write("The difference of those two dates is " & datediff("d", cdate(CurrentDate), cdate(NextDate)) & "<br/>")

Everything worked as it's supposed to. INCLUDING my original code. I commented out the response.write statements and everything still works. I comment out that whole snippet and things still work.

That's literally the only changes I made to the code. Shocked

I think I'll have a chat with the netadmin and see if he's been messing with my test server.

Either way it's working now, for the moment, so I guess I'm going to leave as-is until it breaks again. Confused

armogeden

Post Tue May 01, 2007 3:51 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I have a problem

Reboot! Reboot!

Wink

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 01, 2007 3:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Mad

It broke again. All I did is shut down my browser and then go back in. Tried to run the same dates and it goes sideways again.

I hate ASP.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 01, 2007 5:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Ugh. Seems that any date that can be taken two ways (basically the 1st through 12th of all the months) will through a monkey wrench into the system.

Now I have to figure out how to validate whether a date is in mm/dd/yyyy format, dd/mm/yyyy format, or yyyy/mm/dd format. What a pain in the buttocks.

Post Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm   Reply with quote         

I say...spin around really really fast and then STOP...and the solution will appear before you.

supak0ma

Post Wed May 02, 2007 3:47 am   Reply with quote         

a solution is to put day, month, year in different input fields.

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Ugh. Seems that any date that can be taken two ways (basically the 1st through 12th of all the months) will through a monkey wrench into the system.

Now I have to figure out how to validate whether a date is in mm/dd/yyyy format, dd/mm/yyyy format, or yyyy/mm/dd format. What a pain in the buttocks.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
a solution is to put day, month, year in different input fields.

TofuTheGreat wrote:

An easier solution is to require yyyy/mm/dd format only. But this is the US midwest. People are too used to mm/dd/yyyy.

I'm currently trying out a script that generates a calendar that people can click on to set the arrival and departure dates. Should take some of the idiot factor out (I can only hope).

supak0ma

Post Wed May 02, 2007 12:15 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed May 02, 2007 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:

Well now that's a wicked cool idear!

This thing has been really odd.

I had a script that built a table and populated it with a calendar. At the top of the calendar the month name would appear thanks to the MonthName() function built into VBScript. I ran the script and the month names come out in Finnish instead of English. Hmmm

So I've resorted to completely rebooting the server and trying again. I think I'll go with a custom script as the max range for reservations is 14-days. So I'll script a calendar that lets them click the arrival date and then it auto adjusts so that only the next 13 days are clickable for setting the departure date. Plus I can color code it for the range since there is a discount for reserving in 5-day blocks. Very Happy

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Any ASP coders that can answer this? - Reply to topic