Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Abandoned - Reply to topic

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm   Reply with quote         

I've always had a fascination with exploring deserted buildings
and recently found a number of sites dedicated to this interest.

Just thought I'd post this particular site for those who might enjoy it.

http://www.forsakenplaces.com/

Some of these would make great source pics...

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Good find!

glennhanna

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

The strangest thing that ever happened to me growing up was exploring an abandoned house in our neighborhood with my friend. It had been sitting there vacant for 16 years. We were nervous about the place being haunted as we explored the house. I wanted to see how long the place had been abandoned, so I spotted a newspaper that was on the floor and picked it up. The date read April 17, 1980. A chill went up my spine. This place had to be haunted. You see, I was born April 17, 1980. I got as far away from that house as I could get.

Weird house. Can't believe something could sit in the city for so long. All the furniture and household items were inside... some rummaging was evident. It was a little like stepping in a time machine, items no newer than 1980.

lozerkidzunited

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:18 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
The strangest thing that ever happened to me growing up was exploring an abandoned house in our neighborhood with my friend. It had been sitting there vacant for 16 years. We were nervous about the place being haunted as we explored the house. I wanted to see how long the place had been abandoned, so I spotted a newspaper that was on the floor and picked it up. The date read April 17, 1980. A chill went up my spine. This place had to be haunted. You see, I was born April 17, 1980. I got as far away from that house as I could get.

Weird house. Can't believe something could sit in the city for so long. All the furniture and household items were inside... some rummaging was evident. It was a little like stepping in a time machine, items no newer than 1980.

Creepy.

Best place in the world.
Oscar

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:18 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah, we like to explore houses too... we usually dress all black and wear ski mask, the houses are empty most of the time but sometimes people are still inside... they never mind .

EJH

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Awesome site. I love that stuff.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took of the abandoned smallpox hospital on Roosevelt Island (during the 1800's, people with smallpox were sent there to be quarantined).

Roosevelt Island is a little sliver of an island that sits in the East River between Manhattan & Queens, where I like to ride my bike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/EJH/IMG_2341.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/EJH/15A_0041.jpg

ScionShade

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Thats pretty cool, if I were rich I'd buy something like that and turn it into a home.

Tawiskaro

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:07 pm   Reply with quote         

I got brought home by the cops for such explorations twice when I was a kid. My father put a stop to them--with a belt.

The website is really fascinating, but the author needs a spell checker. Great photographs, though. Some creepy weird stuff. I'm actually quite close to at least two of the complexes in the collection.

Thanks for sharing!

Post Tue May 01, 2007 12:06 am   Reply with quote         

EJH wrote:

Here are a couple of pictures that I took of the abandoned smallpox hospital on Roosevelt Island (during the 1800's, people

Very cool structure. They just don't make smallpox quarantines like they used to.

I like all kinds of deserted buildings but, for me, there's nothing quite like an abandoned hospital.
Even when you're alone in a hospital, you don't quite feel alone.

I found this picture of a hospital morgue from the same site:

http://www.forsakenplaces.com/_notes/images/Center/New/images/58_jpg.jpg

Notice the figure in the background.

Is it Photoshop?
An odd light refraction?
Or the restless, angry spirit of Ghosty McGhosterson?

You be the judge.

mrwilde

Post Sat May 12, 2007 12:11 am   Reply with quote         

I thought about doing this a few years back and stumbled on to a few of those sites and strange members. I didn't realize it was taken so seriously before. It kind of freaked me out that I might run into people like that while I was doing some urban crawling ... so I canned the idea.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sat May 12, 2007 2:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for sharing that, Badcop. My grandfather was the caretaker of an abandoned school. My mom said it was very creepy.

Is the allure of exploring these old buildings to take pictures or stepping back into time or ? The textures are fascinating.

splodge

Post Sat May 12, 2007 2:44 pm   Reply with quote         

abandoned enough Smile

Hallcross Toots
bec

Post Sun May 13, 2007 1:41 pm   Reply with quote         

I grew up in Rochester and have been to Mount Hope Cemetery many times. It's a pretty amazing place. Thanks for posting the site!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Abandoned - Reply to topic