Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Source Image Details - Reply to topic

cafn8d

Post Sun May 27, 2007 11:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I've seen a few really great photos come up recently for voting as potential sources, and I was wondering what camera did they use? I'm pretty sure at least the latter, if not both, of the following suggestions have been made before, but I'd like to bring them up again:

When a submitted photo is accepted as a source, could the submitter be given the opportunity to add details like camera model and settings used? Perhaps this can be part of the Submit Images dialog box, like the "author's comments" on a contest entry. It would not be a required field, by any means, and should be clearly limited in length (chars left) so pertinent info is not accidentally cut off. Ideally (to me), this short blurb would be listed under the name of the source submitter when the contest opens. :historybrushtool:

Could a list of accepted source images (of past or current contests) with links to their thumbnails be made accessible as part of a person's profile or portfolio? I think it would be fun to easily find out what contest sources a user has submitted. It may even add some enticement to buying an Advantage account if this other privilege of Advantage is showcased just a little more. :movetools:

Post Mon May 28, 2007 12:20 am   Reply with quote         

if you point out what picture you are talking about, I may be able to help you out!

lpoetschke

Post Mon May 28, 2007 12:28 am   Reply with quote         

318830 wrote:
if you point out what picture you are talking about, I may be able to help you out!

Same here. Several of my photos have been selected lately, so I could give you the info on any of those...

Post Mon May 28, 2007 12:29 am   Reply with quote         

if the photos submitted are originals straight from the camera without being edited and saved as a new file, then all that info is carried with the image file. Deviant Art, you might have noticed if you've ever been there, is able to get the info from the photo file about which camera was used and the date and exact time it was taken. I don't think that info sticks with a photo if it's been edited and saved down anew, but it might, I'm not totally sure. Perhaps a similar thing can be implemented here. Smile

Post Mon May 28, 2007 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah, what Mason said. If you go to File = File Info in Photoshop you can find out the EXIF data on the photo. You can find out all the information on it, just as long as its not copied and pasted into a different file then it should be fine. But then again, they might not be straight from the camera. And your idea might be best.

cafn8d

Post Mon May 28, 2007 11:29 am   Reply with quote         

I appreciate the offers from individual photographers! Smile It would still be easier, though, if the info were available at a glance.

Now, I admit I have not checked yet, and should probably do so before replying, but I'd be surprised if many photos were uploaded as potential sources directly from the files downloaded from the camera. Most cameras now take higher resolution pictures than the size photo we are able to upload. Is the camera info still saved through the "save for web" process to bring the scaled-down or cropped original under the allowable kb for potential sources? Maybe I've been doing things the hard way?? Confused

Procyon
Site Admin

Post Mon May 28, 2007 4:04 pm   Reply with quote         

I checked quite a few submitted pictures and 9 out of 10 don't have the EXIF information.

Post Mon May 28, 2007 4:15 pm   Reply with quote         

PVS's (Paul Von Stetina) submissions are easily recognizable...very crisp and clean and its more often some hightech vehicules, airplanes etc, always with metallic colors....i think besides of the fact he is an excellent photographer, his cam might be quite kikass...Smile

Post Mon May 28, 2007 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

When I submitted sources I never submitted the original. I always cropped it, resized it and then submitted it...which kinda kills the EXIF data.

Meaty

Post Mon May 28, 2007 5:34 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
When I submitted sources I never submitted the original. I always cropped it, resized it and then submitted it...which kinda kills the EXIF data.

But just for the future, canon eos10d Smile yup i finally got one accepted. Wink

Micose

Post Mon May 28, 2007 6:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Meaty wrote:
digitalpharaoh wrote:

But just for the future, canon eos10d Smile yup i finally got one accepted. Wink

took me a while too...but my sheeps were accepted, which im proud of cuz theyre a friend of mine's sheeps....

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Source Image Details - Reply to topic