Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Forum Shop - Reply to topic

Is this a good idea?

Yes

72%

72%

[ 8 ]

No

27%

27%

[ 3 ]

Total Votes: 11

Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Could it be possible to ave a sort of Forum/Shop concept in PSC?

Check this site, which has this concept implemented to know what I'm talking about:

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/index.php?topic=352.0

Here's some screenshots:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Lord_David/Screenshot-23.png
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Lord_David/Screenshot-24.png
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Lord_David/Screenshot-25.png
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Lord_David/Screenshot-26.png
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Lord_David/Screenshot-27.png
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Lord_David/Screenshot-28.png

We could have items in the PSC shop like the ability to change the site banner for several weeks into one of your design, the ability to add color to your screen name, or the ability to change your screen name altogether.

Maybe even the ability to get rid of one of your most embarrassing disgraced entries from PSC for good! Wink

There could even be the possibility of "purchasing" 3 months free advantage for a ridiculous fake money amount. Smile

So, what do you guys think of the idea? Very Happy

Feel free to put in your opinions and ideas...

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I think you got the same screenshot five times!

Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:48 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
I think you got the same screenshot five times!

Ok I fixed it now. Smile

armogeden

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:56 pm   Reply with quote         

First of all, starcraft rocks, that is, the original does. they keep remaking old games and it just shouldn't be done. They did it with tiberium sun and now they've done it with starcraft.

Second of all and probably a tad more relevant, I think it would make psc forums into a bit of a gimick. People would post not because they wanted to share something cool they found but to buy stuff later on Confused

Oscar

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Thats a freaking great idea! Very Happy

unlike SS ideas

janetdog

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:00 pm   Reply with quote         

3 degrees C... Holy Cow, It's gonna be 39C here.

Nice screenshots. I like your plan.

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:04 pm   Reply with quote         

armogeden wrote:
First of all, starcraft rocks, that is, the original does. they keep remaking old games and it just shouldn't be done. They did it with tiberium sun and now they've done it with starcraft.

Second of all and probably a tad more relevant, I think it would make psc forums into a bit of a gimick. People would post not because they wanted to share something cool they found but to buy stuff later on Confused

Ok to answer your first comment, I think it's "well it's about time!" that that Starcraft 2 is underway, I like the original as does everyone that's played Starcraft and such, but people are generally pleased on how SC2 is progressing, and that it would be just as good as the original (and possibly appeal to new fans too!) I should also note that this isn't a "remake" of a classic but a continuation of the story and putting the game in 3D (the new concepts and technologies they're putting in the game are cool), I suggest you look at some game footage to see what I'm talking about, it's going to be good.

I wouldn't think it would make PSC more of a gimmick, just look at the SC2forums as an example, people there go about the normal forum replying and thread creating and such... It wouldn't make the PSC forums a gimmick, but add to a little more fun and make the PSC forums more used. (not of course that it isn't used much already) (You can always catch those that are mindlessly posting "blah blah blah..." just to gain cash and prevent them from posting for a while or banning them for a while cause they've been abusing the system)

armogeden

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Lord David wrote:
Ok to answer your first comment, I think it's "well it's about time!" that that Starcraft 2 is underway, I like the original as does everyone that's played Starcraft and such, but people are generally pleased on how SC2 is progressing, and that it would be just as good as the original (and possibly appeal to new fans too!) I should also note that this isn't a "remake" of a classic but a continuation of the story and putting the game in 3D (the new concepts and technologies they're putting in the game are cool), I suggest you look at some game footage to see what I'm talking about, it's going to be good.

ok well first of all it's just my opinion, but think about it like this. Agreed it's completely overdue but I don't think theyre going about it properly. Addons usually add a few units, a few more quests, continue the story. Sequals usually have the same basic story line but theres a whole new concept to the game or a whole host of extra features, units, sides, abilities, buildings etc. etc. but generally it's a completely different game when it comes out because of all the stuff they add to it. Forget about the fact that it's in 3d for a sec, and all theyve added is one or two new units for each side, given some special abilities, and some more missions to do. It's much more of an addon than a fully fleged sequal. That said, I love the background work they did and ill prolly end up buying it anyways because i loved starcraft so much but I think they could have done more with it. Even the remake of tiberium sun added an extra side.

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Do we get like credit for each forum post we've made? Hell, I'm RICH!!!
TAKE THAT NEOPETS!

armogeden

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Lord David wrote:
I wouldn't think it would make PSC more of a gimmick, just look at the SC2forums as an example, people there go about the normal forum replying and thread creating and such... It wouldn't make the PSC forums a gimmick, but add to a little more fun and make the PSC forums more used. (not of course that it isn't used much already) (You can always catch those that are mindlessly posting "blah blah blah..." just to gain cash and prevent them from posting for a while or banning them for a while cause they've been abusing the system)

assuming it doesn't turn gimicky then it could be pretty good. I really like the misc. items, sort of personalising the site to its users Smile

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:09 pm   Reply with quote         

WAIT! How the hell could it NOT be GIMICKY!?!?!? HUH!???
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

splodge

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:45 pm   Reply with quote         

are we talking piracy/boot leg, anyone want to steal my Hallcross logo before i put it on www.cafepress.com they fit so much snuger if you steal them Very Happy
http://www.hallcross.co.uk/HXlogo.html

send me photo's

Hallcross Toots
Lord David

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:07 am   Reply with quote         

Ok back to topic, using SC2forums.org as an example, could a shop like that work here? Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:42 am   Reply with quote         

Didn't read all the posts yet (sorry but wanted to write this down before I lost the thought).

Anywhooooo......

If something like this is implemented I think it should be tied to the contest entries. I chose "pixels" as the money in remembrance of our brief run in the Nation States game last year.

Contest win and/or tie for 1st = 100 pixels
2nd place = 50 pixels
3rd place = 25 pixels
1 vote = 1/2 of a pixel (so 30 votes in a contest = 15 pixels)

Someone (cough Scion cough) probably won't agree but I think this might get people to chopping again and taking chopping seriously. Posting a bunch of crappy entries won't get you anywhere as you'd only get token votes. But posting a great chop should get you rewarded.

Tie it to H2H too.

Win round 1 = 10 pixels
Win round 2 = 20 pixels
Win round 3 = 40 pixels
Win round 4 = 80 pixels
Win round 5 = 160 pixels
Win round 6 = 320 pixels + 1,000 bonus for final four
Win round 7 = 1,000 pixels + 1,000 bonus for final two

Oh and I think that there should be a limitation on what kinds of things we can "buy" with the earnings/winnings. As much as I'd love to change my screen name I think that would be bad as it could quickly get confusing as to who is who. Aliases are bad enough!

ALSO! Please DO NOT make this place into W1K. The credit scheme being talked about here should be strictly for fun. Do not tie the ability to enter contests, vote, participate in chat/forums or any other function to these fake monetary units! Do that and you'll see a bunch of people leave the site.

But keep it "just for fun" and you could see a bunch of people join. Very Happy

Stevster

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:07 pm   Reply with quote         

interesting....

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Forum Shop - Reply to topic