Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Leaving comments - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

lancoma

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:00 am   Reply with quote         

I write a comment on somebody work that blending was pretty bad and then I got PM that if I haven't got nothing nice to say that I don't say it at all.

I don't get this? Why are some of you expect only good and admiring critics? Why is so bad to tell someone that something that he or she done isn't good so he or she next time do it better?

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

Rolling Eyes Care to share the link to your constructive criticism?

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:18 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:19 am   Reply with quote         

lancoma wrote:
I write a comment on somebody work that blending was pretty bad and then I got PM that if I haven't got nothing nice to say that I don't say it at all.

I don't get this? Why are some of you expect only good and admiring critics? Why is so bad to tell someone that something that he or she done isn't good so he or she next time do it better?

Some people can't take criticism. It depends on how you word it. If you say "your shit sucks", that would be bad. If you say "great image, I like the idea but your blending is a little weak in areas." Then that is ok. I always say what I feel especially when the person is really talented and I think they just missed something. It happens to everyone. You look so hard at an image that you miss the obvious. Don't be afraid to comment, just choose your words more carefully. Wink

P.S. It's hard to take criticism from a guy who is picking his nose. Shocked Laughing

Tawiskaro

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

lancoma,

So long as the criticism is constructive and politely phrased, there should be no problem. I have been here several months and have received much criticism--virtually all of it constructive and quite helpful. Unfortunately, some people do not respond well to criticism, however well-intended.

Keep criticizing in a friendly, helpful manner. If someone responds unpleasantly, refrain from criticizing that person's work. Others will appreciate your comments.

Imho.

--twk

lancoma

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:23 am   Reply with quote         

Stevster wrote:
Rolling Eyes Care to share the link to your constructive criticism?

I don't want to spite that author even more Laughing

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:24 am   Reply with quote         

I didn't see the PM or comment, (would love to see what we're talking about) You're pretty new to PSC, so you giving out comments to someone whos been here for a while could be construed as not good. When I comment, I do try to help them fix the problem, I don't just say... Oh man this is bad, try harder next time.

I think most people are more responsive if you PM them the problems instead of leaving a comment on the actual entry. (unless its like you missed a shadow here or this isn't right there, overall good though -vote like Rey pointed out) However constructive you may think your comment is, it still is their baby. Something that they think they have worked hard on. No matter their skill level, it still gets personal when someone says something bad about what you thought was good.

Personally, I'd rather people PM me when you see a glaring problem.. Most times, I'll fix it right away. But I take the comments that are given with a grain of salt. Most of them are constructive, which I think is great, cause I too am still learning this game and I miss things all the time.

my 3˘

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:26 am   Reply with quote         

ok, I'll try to be more sensitive Huh..

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:30 am   Reply with quote         

I think that was the picture where I left comment 'blending is pretty bad' but now I see that I could say that a little bit more gentle

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:31 am   Reply with quote         

Only comment badly if the person is beating you. That way, they will lose votes and you can win. If they suck, you can PM them to act like you care, when actually you just want them to know that you are better than them. Twisted Evil Have fun!! Shocked

Yes... I'm just kidding! ....or am I?? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

ReyRey

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:34 am   Reply with quote         

Yo lancoma ,
You should remove that link. It is still a live contest. Doh!

lancoma

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:36 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Yo lancoma ,
You should remove that link. It is still a live contest. Doh!

removed Very Happy don't ask then for link Laughing

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:39 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah ReyRey tried that on my dry ocean chop ... but it didn't work Twisted Evil

ReinMan

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:41 am   Reply with quote         

Lanoma: your question is a good one and usually every few months or so there is a similar thread posted here. As mentioned above, you are new to our site and are welcome here... but you may need to build a little reputation with us before you can really be "heard" fully here. Give it time, all will be well.

And even with this situation you find yourself in you have learned something about us: we are sensitive artistic types (some more artistic than others, some more sensitive than others) and if you stay you'll learn some things that DON'T have to do with Photoshop! Wink

And, as already said, learning how to give criticism is a fine art in itself, and a wise thing to improve on in life if you are going to be around creative types in your life.

Once you get some more solid "friends" or once people get to know and respect you here you'll be able to say things (to certain people) like "gee Marco, you sure do draw like a mule" or "Eve- what the hell were you thinking?" Very Happy

And I TOTALLY agree with Rey˛ - it really IS hard to take any advice from a dude with his finger up his nose!! Cool Raising Brow

TheShaman

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

listen to the ReinMan he is a wise wise Canuck

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Leaving comments - Reply to topic