Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - A question about critiquing? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

cherylm329

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:29 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
I will put in my 2 cents. I think sometimes people are struggling to find their grove and when they can't seem to find it they tend to think that people are out to get them. It happens to everyone. ( I know Marco is out to get ME! Shocked Wink ) For an image to be good, it needs to have mad skills, or clean execution, or a very clever idea, or a beautiful design work, or it's really funny. It needs to excel in at least one of these categories. Look at Micose. He usually does stuff that is way out of the norm for this site and he gets recognized when it is intriguing, beautiful, or a clever idea, etc. I believe this site is < for the most part, honest in their opinions. If you try and sell a bunch of paintings at an art show and nobody buys them, you can't blame the people that did not buy them. I have seen many people give up because they decided to blame others instead of looking inward and I do believe that they do themselves a great injustice by not trying to look at themselves or listen to others advice. You can't take anything personal here. You should take the comments with a grain of salt and decide for yourself weather they are right or not, but be careful not to close yourself to critique. Maybe it's not the others that are being "closed minded", as you said. Wink
This is not a judgment on you or your work. I think you are doing just fine. It is just my opinion to these thoughts. Peace and keep on choppin'. Hug

I know you didn't direct your comments at me, but in response for clarification, I am by no means struggling to find my groove, inspiration sometimes yeah, but I know what I like and how to reflect that in my work. Plus, I have many groves, I will never settle in just one. I don't think anyone is out to get me in the least and I always consider critiques, how else would I learn? I just hate when my work is compared to another's, yeah, it might be a better image (because of idea, creativity, or overall visual charm) than mine, but comparing and critiquing are two different things. This isn't a comparison competition, it is a contest of skill and creativity for each individual's abilities. Me *points at self* give up?? I wouldn't even think of it, that is like committing suicide and that is not cool Smile The challenge is much funner anyway Very Happy Great advice overall Rey and thanks!!

ScionShade

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 pm   Reply with quote         

I dunno if I'm really a good critiquer, but a lot of people use me for 'em
before posting. I sometimes give a warning if it's a bit cliche taht it may not get as good as you expect. When possible tell them how to do what it appears they wanted to do better if I know how.Then of course what I'd personally like to see in the chop to complete their original ideas. Lights and shadows I tell 'em to go ask claf or rey.

Martrex

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:44 pm   Reply with quote         

If nothing else here and the real world you develop a thicker skin over the fragile ego everyone has or you go run back to your mother, and have her give you your room back and never progress any further. Or you stand up and say I do good stuff and it's getting better. Then slowly proceed to what ever future awaits.
You hopefully learn that not many people in the real world care what anyone says about anything unless they agree with it. Also most people follow someone, anyone so that they don't have to make decisions on their own. Yet so many worry without relief of what everyone everywhere thinks of them and everything they do or say about them, Paranoia.

My non-expert opinion only. Feel free to disregard and please don't take it personally!

Marx-Man

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:45 pm   Reply with quote         

"I wouldn't wipe my arse on it... thats another helpful one..."

Plus you can add a yankee slant by changing arse to ass..

and ...

an 'alabamy' angle by changing wife to cousin... (nothing... really ... oh common that one killed at the party...)

bigbuck

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Sci's got a good point Cheryl. Most of my best feedback comes from members previewing an entry. I regularly give people (sci, sean, eve, DP, caf) a look at an entry before it goes up. In fact, I showed caf half a dozen entries yesterday, and she generously PM'd back a whole page of feedback on those. Thanks Caf! Of course I also get to see quite a few from people before they go up too.
I'm always a bit reluctant to offer criticism in the comments field on active entries though...after all, who am I to say publicly whether someone's work is flawed or not. But I am more than happy to offer feedback privately by PM.
As far as the comparison thing goes, I'm not really sure that I've seen too much of that, but remember it is a competition and people will obviously compare entries when voting....it's only natural.
Mikey and Rey are right too. It's not just about pure PS skills, there's tonnes of that here at PSC. It's also about art, interpretation, ideas, humour and 'outside the box' thinking. Winning entries often have that 'something extra'......that bit of 'oomph'!
Cheers,
Brad.

cherylm329

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
"I wouldn't wipe my arse on it... thats another helpful one..."

Plus you can add a yankee slant by changing arse to ass..

and ...

an 'alabamy' angle by changing wife to cousin... (nothing... really ... oh common that one killed at the party...)

Huh? Confused

cherylm329

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:55 pm   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
Sci's got a good point Cheryl. Most of my best feedback comes from members previewing an entry. I regularly give people (sci, sean, eve, DP, caf) a look at an entry before it goes up. In fact, I showed caf half a dozen entries yesterday, and she generously PM'd back a whole page of feedback on those. Thanks Caf! Of course I also get to see quite a few from people before they go up too.
I'm always a bit reluctant to offer criticism in the comments field on active entries though...after all, who am I to say publicly whether someone's work is flawed or not. But I am more than happy to offer feedback privately by PM.
As far as the comparison thing goes, I'm not really sure that I've seen too much of that, but remember it is a competition and people will obviously compare entries when voting....it's only natural.
Mikey and Rey are right too. It's not just about pure PS skills, there's tonnes of that here at PSC. It's also about art, interpretation, ideas, humour and 'outside the box' thinking. Winning entries often have that 'something extra'......that bit of 'oomph'!
Cheers,
Brad.

Thanks Big, it was actually a miss understanding that is now cleared up. I still don't like my work to be compared to another because in actuality I am an individual and never ran with the crowd and what I create is unique instead of the norm (most of the time). But, apparently it is something I am going to have to get use to. Me young grasshopper still learning the ins and outs of what we all call art and the critiques that go with it. Not only am I learning skill here I am learning something even deeper. Smile

cherylm329

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Martrex wrote:
If nothing else here and the real world you develop a thicker skin over the fragile ego everyone has or you go run back to your mother, and have her give you your room back and never progress any further. Or you stand up and say I do good stuff and it's getting better. Then slowly proceed to what ever future awaits.
You hopefully learn that not many people in the real world care what anyone says about anything unless they agree with it. Also most people follow someone, anyone so that they don't have to make decisions on their own. Yet so many worry without relief of what everyone everywhere thinks of them and everything they do or say about them, Paranoia.

My non-expert opinion only. Feel free to disregard and please don't take it personally!

I work for three attorneys I know thick skin, haha. It was just a misunderstanding with communication and it's all good now, thanks for the advice!

mikey

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:03 pm   Reply with quote         

I wonder who marco consults for critique? Rolling Eyes the Gods! most likely Laughing

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:07 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:
I wonder who marco consults for critique? Rolling Eyes the Gods! most likely Laughing

I would guess a general that likes to blow things up, a mass murderer, and a scientist? Laughing

P.S. For those sentimental chops his Mom?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - A question about critiquing? - Reply to topic