Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Voting ability modification - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

Maybe I'm just grouchy because it's a Wednesday. But I'm sick of all these "I'll take a photo that I think goes with the theme" entries. Mad

http://photoshopcontest.com/portfolio/31772/browse.html?l=0&p=96

12 "entries". 2 votes (mistakenly cast). Now this "member" has the ability to cast votes in contest. A member who has had no participation in the forums and who can now mess with the outcomes of contests (and therefore potentially in prize contests)

How about we implement a modification? Not just 10 chops anymore. Make it 10 chops and 40 votes received. That's only an average of 4 votes a chop.

So if they do one chop that garners 30 votes they still have to get the other 9 in the earn voting privileges. But if they do 40 craptastic chops that only earn 2 mistakenly/fraudulently cast votes they don't get to vote.

Also the earnings minimum would help identify those who are voting as friends or aliases for these types of people.

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

i like that idea

TheShaman

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

I second

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

Whoever it is knows the English. I'm guessing someone's disgruntled ex. Maybe just a half assed alias from an extremely lazy disgruntled ex chopper. Either way, Give her the boot.

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

i think these cases are basically 'trolls', to use a net term.

People just taking the piss.

cherylm329

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

I agree, I have told that person a few times what is expected here, so I am assuming they are playing games now. :0

annajon

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/82477/display.html

according to you, this is the entry that would have allowed you to vote for the first time, that is nr. 17 entry, if you left all your intries in your portfolio, counting back from page 8.

I agree with the mentioning of the rules around photoshopping more prominent on page one, a better link to good forum entries wouldn't be a bad start. But don't forget you had to start doing this one time. And if I recall my own humble beginnings, I did manage to shop the source into the entry, but I only had windows paint to work with, so I didn't get much attention. As a matter of fact I only picked it up again recently, and now I have a better progr. to work with, so I can get better at this work. Many of the people here have a job in graphics, or they lie about that, so that is kind of an unfair advantage as well.

If you want to create a difference in beginners and experianced shoppers, then ask for more advanced competitions. Not once a year, but once per three months, and some prize competitions to be entered after reaching a certain level.

Wouldn't that be more inviting? After all, this is a group thing and beginners (like me) are learning every day, at least, we would, if the better people would care to leave more comments where comments are due.

Anna Embarassed

annajon

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:07 am   Reply with quote         

I think people should take more care with images that have children on it. Nobody asked the child in question for permission to have its face all over the Internet, did they?

cherylm329

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:08 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
I think people should take more care with images that have children on it. Nobody asked the child in question for permission to have its face all over the Internet, did they?

Very good point!!

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:33 am   Reply with quote         

I think 40 votes is too small. I would require participation on a higher level such that before they can vote, they need to comment on at least 50 entries, and "..." does not count.

Given the nature of the photos and similarity in location I believe Debvanh is using people she knows, possibly family. Many of the photos come across to me as being staged for the contest. Can anyone find these pictures elsewhere on the net?

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

just ban here of entering more contests, she's using psc as some photo album. Not to play the game (and obviously no intention to do so in the future).

Waste of space

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/82477/display.html

according to you, this is the entry that would have allowed you to vote for the first time, that is nr. 17 entry, if you left all your intries in your portfolio, counting back from page 8.

I think you missed a page or 2 in my portfolio (do a sort by recent and start at the last page). The one you showed was my 8th chop. Even though I royally sucked back then I still had 51 total votes after my 8th chop. By the 10th chop I had 103 total votes. I think that should be reasonable enough for anyone to get to.

annajon wrote:
...But don't forget you had to start doing this one time. ...

You ain't kidding there. It's been nice to see how far I've come with chopping. Even though I still suck at least I know so much more now about how much I suck. Laughing

annajon wrote:

And if I recall my own humble beginnings, I did manage to shop the source into the entry, but I only had windows paint to work with, so I didn't get much attention. As a matter of fact I only picked it up again recently, and now I have a better progr. to work with, so I can get better at this work.

We had a few people doing great stuff in Paint and even in Photo Editor that comes with Windows. Heck I started with Fireworks and GIMP. GIMP is free. So is Paint.Net. And, if you're piratically-inclined, CS2 can be gotten for free (don't do it though!).

annajon wrote:
Many of the people here have a job in graphics, or they lie about that, so that is kind of an unfair advantage as well.

I don't think that's an unfair advantage. This is like saying native english speakers have an advantage since the site is in english. They have more experience in choppping. Good for them.

annajon wrote:
If you want to create a difference in beginners and experianced shoppers, then ask for more advanced competitions. Not once a year, but once per three months, and some prize competitions to be entered after reaching a certain level.

That's not what I'm asking for. Re-read my original post. I just want to keep the jokers out. Keep them out before they have a negative impact on a contest that matters (like the laptop).

I'm not suggesting a complete overhaul of how the contests work. PSC's appeal to many is that you compete against everyone and there is no segregation. If you want to beat the best then you must get better. It's that simple.

I'm only suggesting a tweak to the system used to earn voting privileges to keep jokers/trolls/etc. out of the system before they can do damage.

dewdew

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:12 pm   Reply with quote         

hey wait before ya'll start changing the whole place for one stupid person. the 40 votes i have now but boy they were a long time coming. i have noticed that no one has recieved votes from our special needs friend. that should tell ya they are just here to ruffle feathers. grefix is right, i have'nt even come across the pics on google, and google has pics for everything. Annajon makes a very good point about the kids in the pics, and they do seem staged,most anyways. when me and dp got into a heated discussion on chat one day, there was'nt a problem blocking me .......So dp where ever you are: use that technology son......yeah i know it's shocking that i got booted/ blocked Surprised ....hush tofu.....i hear ya snickering in the background Laughing Laughing

p.s. 9/10is debvahn day

dewdew

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:15 pm   Reply with quote         

hey some here speak the english well ,but can't spell it for shit....no wait thats me.......dang it

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
she's using psc as some photo album. ...Waste of space

Exactly! Send her to dA, flickr, etc. This behavior is also wasting PSC's bandwidth.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Voting ability modification - Reply to topic