Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How to create correct reflections - Reply to topic

yello_piggy

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:15 am   Reply with quote         

maybe you know this problem: you want to create the reflection of sthg. on a reflecting media (f.e. glass, mirror, water,...), but just flipping it horizontal doesnt work. I tried to bend it on several ways, but all I get looks unrealistic and strange. does anybody of you have the right clue for this, please? (CS2) I know that the real reflection would be totally different from the reflected object, but there should be away to get smthg. looking almost correct...

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:17 am   Reply with quote         

Well according to your sketch in that circumstance you'll need to flip & distort..

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..
TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:25 am   Reply with quote         

What sliver said. Also if it's a mirror you're reflecting in then you also need to have some space between the object and the mirror's surface. Mirrors are reflective from behind the glass. Glossy surfaces are reflective at the surface. Put a block in front of your bathroom mirror and look at it from the same angle as your drawing and you'll see what I mean.

splodge

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:33 am   Reply with quote         

Hallcross Toots
yello_piggy

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:45 am   Reply with quote         

ok, problem solved, thank you!

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:52 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
What sliver said. Also if it's a mirror you're reflecting in then you also need to have some space between the object and the mirror's surface. Mirrors are reflective from behind the glass. Glossy surfaces are reflective at the surface. Put a block in front of your bathroom mirror and look at it from the same angle as your drawing and you'll see what I mean.

So well said! Very Happy

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..
bigbuck

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:02 am   Reply with quote         

I'd do it manually copying and skewing the faces. Keep the same distances in the mirror and the same vanishing point.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:57 am   Reply with quote         

Sliver wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

So well said! Very Happy

Physics I know. Chopping I'm still working on. Laughing

Oscar

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

geeks

TheShaman

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 am   Reply with quote         

You wish to learn somthing? Really? Why bother? This place is really going downhill fast. When I first got here, PSC was very different than it is has become now. They forced me to think things through like shadows, depth, reflections, color corrections... and not just to copy and paste. Now it seems like if you have a good idea, thats all that is required. Photorealism is an afterthought if you will. Just do it to the best of your ability, then go on and on in the authors notes about how much time it took to get it this far, and call it a day!

Not like any of us are really here to learn right?
Rolling Eyes
Well, I know I'm here for that reason! Seems like at least theres a handful of us still around that want to learn. I know I still screw stuff up and I still piss and moan when I think I'm right but I'm wrong... But thats what all of you are here for. To point me in the right direction regardless of my feelings. Damn you Political Correctness!

I applaud you Piggy, for at least taking the time to care and learn. Wishing to put your name on something that is worth putting your name on to.

Like buck and the others said, focus your attention on the vanishing point. it should help guide you in the right direction. Sometimes you gotta fudge and draw some of it to fit into that, but it will look much more realistic, than just a simple flip and paste.

Sorry I don't mean to rant, but I now know why we're loosing more and more top choppers around here lately....

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:04 pm   Reply with quote         

its a bit simplified....but I did a video (only works on simple things really I spose. I didn't rehearse so i cocked up the blending overlay !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KhFleHsGSY

Took me a while to do coz I felt compelled to bash out an accompanying tune
Rolling Eyes

Micose

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:53 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

interesting Smile

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How to create correct reflections - Reply to topic