Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - BRAIN DEAD - acts like a baby - COMPUTER - Reply to topic

annajon

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:39 am   Reply with quote         

Confused.... Crying or Very sad Confused Sad Confused Embarassed Crying or Very sad Confused Crying or Very sad

Yesterday I had to renew Windows on my computer, things got very compicated in that poor brain of mine. Noticed only because I was working with it every day for the images on PSC. Now, after the operation, it looks like I am thrown back to the dark ages. Nothing is the same. All my favorit settings and things I got used to are gone.

And, one very anoying thing, websites open in the screen, without me being able to scroll through them. I see the whole page from side to side, which leads to very tiny text, in many cases.

The update shield has been pressing me to put 81 updates into my recently emptied windows folders. But after turning on my PSC tools and looking for some much needed website shortcuts for two other sites I have noticed something.

When I restarted with the default Windows, there were 20 tasks in the manager window. Now - after only four hours of trying to make things work again - there are 25 permanent tasks in the manager window.
Windows, in its own seperate partition, has suddenly grown in size as well. The reason why things had gone pareshaped was just that - no room to move - and computer lagging because of too many tasks that start working in the manger as soon as you turn on the computer.

Take for instance the forum on the nice tests, to calibrate your screen. Confused Confused

Well, yesterday, before the brain surgery, I would have been able to read the page with the tests, and probaby look at the different test screens on a level that they made sence. Now, I just stare at the screen, and shake my head. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Even the Windows website, miniature words scribbled from side to side, making for nice straight lines, but their meaning lost to me. Shocked Shocked Question

My little machenical brain has gone deaf - its eyes can't here anymore what the world it trying to convey. No, I did not mean listening to music. That still works and as luck would have it, I kept all my music files safe, (but that is a whole other story) although my music player looks like it was made in the sixties. Cool very retro... Confused *sigh*

81 updates are needed, the UPDATE shield screems at me since I turned online yesterday evening. And since I have grown weary of the invisible lumps and bumps that the windows partition had gotten in 12 months, growing from just over 3 gigabites to almost 10 gigabites, with about 4 gigabites of growth that would not even show its face anymore, but that used up all the virtual memory as well - I am not very sure about downloading updates. Raising Brow clown pirat drunken blackeye cyclops cheese bounce Please Huh..

And there is so much more. I am back to the old music player - I have lost Word totally and can't remember where I got that from (and no, I don't want to use the open source - because that has almost made me loose all my old stuff last year). I turned off my computer, did not even feel like working on an image anymore.

I am lost - feel like I have moved into another house, in another town, in another country, in another part of the world. I am homesick for my old computerbrain, disfunctional, but so perfect to my taste. Rolling Eyes Argh shakng2 study

My first question to you is - what do I do with all these updates, I threw them away yesterday, when I turned off my computer and went to bed, but now they are back, yelling at me from the sideline, aiming straight for the Windows brain partition, no way they want an other spot then that. DJ cheers cherry :marqueetool: shakng2

But those invisible growths - :marqueetool: :marqueetool: :marqueetool: - that made up for the more then 3 gigabites content in the Windows partition that were totally unaccounted for, and then the: Doh! "YOU HAVE NO MORE ROOM TO MOVE A SCRAP OF THAT PICTURE, BECAUSE YOUR VIRTUAL MEMORY IS FULL", Hmmm Huh.. Huh.. Doh! - suggesting to MOVE SOMETHING - Rolling Eyes What about that - will I let that back in as well, along side these 81 updates?

Before yesterday I had lots and lots of tasks in the task manager visible. None of them making sence. But rest asured, they were all creeping and crawling throw the Windows partition. How do I know that I don't put that 3 gigabite growth right back in my poor computers brain, when I allow for those 81 updates to poor over it? There is no stopping them moving straight into the Windows part of the computer. How do I know they will not crowd in the door, so the start up takes forever again, like before yesterday?

But the first and foremost thing that I need to get working properly, is the way my computer looks at websites. What have I forgotten, in all the confusion of this throwback to babystage?

Crying or Very sad Confused Sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad scratch Huh..

Confused

Help please?

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 am   Reply with quote         

ana can you go to the desktop, click start,click programs, click system tools, click system restore and pick date back in time before your pc went on a cruise and see if that will fix it, I am no pc fix-it guru but this has fixed many a boo boo. Very Happy

annajon

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:21 am   Reply with quote         

System restore was deleted too - it is just like I bought an old computer and now I have to make it all work again for me.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:30 am   Reply with quote         

seems like there is some tool online that restores pc . i bet tofu, grefix or splodge may know . i had a big crash bot 1 year back n refomatted my pc and partitioned me off. stuff was there just in a diff drive. well goodluck.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:18 am   Reply with quote         

I saw your post in another thread so I PM'd before I saw this one. Gimme time to read your starting post in this thread.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:36 am   Reply with quote         

Okay your starting post in this thread is pretty much the same as the other one so no new information/problems being reported. My PM should still apply.

If you truly can't use a System Restore point to recover then you may want to delete the restore points to free up drive space. That should help with your large Windows folder problem. Checking the box to turn off the feature should delete those files.

If anyone ever has a virus that's recurring and/or can't be deleted it usually means that one of your restore point images is infected. Only recourse that I know of is to delete the restore points as outlined above and then turn system restore back on.

I personally don't use System Restore as I back up my stuff to external storages and I'll rebuild or re-image anytime I need to. System Restore is just a resource hog imho.

Oscar

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I personally don't use System Restore as I back up my stuff to external storages and I'll rebuild or re-image anytime I need to. System Restore is just a resource hog imho.

yup

FootFungas

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

I'm confused too.
Did YOU have brain surgery or your computer?

Micose

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:13 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Gimme time to read your starting post in this thread.

lol

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 am   Reply with quote         

get linux

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:18 pm   Reply with quote         

Well - I did not have brain surgery - yet - but my computer did.

And Linux - that is just another system that you need to help grow up, before it will do what you want, Grefix

WhimSea

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:25 pm   Reply with quote         

I love my MACs!!! Smile

annajon

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Where I live we use macs when it rains

janetdog

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:54 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
Well - I did not have brain surgery - yet - but my computer did.

And Linux - that is just another system that you need to help grow up, before it will do what you want, Grefix

I beg to differ! I currently run Debian stable. I used a net install. Instead of getting two year old software followed by 200 security updates, My install was made from extremely current (to the day) packages. The only hardware dependent software I had to install was nvidia g force drivers. (the default worked but didn't come with the sexy nvidia 3-D splash screen) Everything else was automatically detected and properly loaded with the correct drivers. The whole process took less than 1 1/2 hours with download speeds of 800kbps. As for software upgrades, Limewire, Crossover and PS7 were all downloaded and installed at the command line terminal. It's been dead stable for over 9 months now with nary an error or complaint and 99.99% uptime. The only problems I've had involve me being to lazy to shut the stupid thing down and clean the fans!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - BRAIN DEAD - acts like a baby - COMPUTER - Reply to topic