Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - LCD screen evaluation images - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Found this via StumbleUpon. It's a series of images that help you to determine the quality of your LCD screen. It definitely confirmed the my laptop's screen is a piece of crap. Will have to compare the results on my big monitor at work.

Anyway it's a good thing to have on a thumbdrive so you can test monitors in store before you buy one (or a new computer).

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Oscar

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:04 pm   Reply with quote         

My eyes hurt after watching all those patterns and colors.

annajon

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:18 am   Reply with quote         

Confused.... Crying or Very sad Confused Sad

Yesterday I had to renew Windows on my computer, things got very compicated in that poor brain of mine. Noticed only because I was working with it every day for the images on PSC. Now, after the operation, it looks like I am thrown back to the dark ages. Nothing is the same. All my favorit settings and things I got used to are gone.

And, one very anoying thing, websites open in the screen, without me being able to scroll through them. I see the whole page from side to side, which leads to very tiny text, in many cases.

The update shield has been pressing me to put 81 updates into my recently emptied windows folders. But after turning on my PSC tools and looking for some much needed website shortcuts for two other sites I have noticed something.

When I restarted with the default Windows, there were 20 tasks in the manager window. Now - after only four hours of trying to make things work again - there are 25 permanent tasks in the manager window.
Windows, in its own seperate partition, has suddenly grown in size as well. The reason why things had gone pareshaped was just that - no room to move - and computer lagging because of too many tasks that start working in the manger as soon as you turn on the computer.

What does this have to do with the tests?

Well, yesterday, before the brain surgery, I would have been able to read the page with the tests, and probaby look at the different test screens on a level that they made sence. Now, I just stare at the screen, and shake my head.

Even the Windows website, miniature words scribbled from side to side, making for nice straight lines, but their meaning lost to me.

My little machenical brain has gone deaf - its eyes can't here anymore what the world it trying to convey. No, I did not mean listening to music. That still works and as luck would have it, I kept all my music files safe, (but that is a whole other story) although my music player looks like it was made in the sixties.

81 updates are needed, the UPDATE shield screems at me since I turned online yesterday evening. And since I have grown weary of the invisible lumps and bumps that the windows partition had gotten in 12 months, growing from just over 3 gigabites to almost 10 gigabites, with about 4 gigabites of growth that would not even show its face anymore, but that used up all the virtual memory as well - I am not very sure about downloading updates.

And there is so much more. I am back to the old music player - I have lost Word totally and can't remember where I got that from (and no, I don't want to use the open source - because that has almost made me loose all my old stuff last year). I turned off my computer, did not even feel like working on an image.

I am lost - feel like I have moved into another house, in another town, in another country, in another part of the world. I am homesick for my old computerbrain, disfunctional, but so perfect to my taste.

My first question to you is - what do I do with all these updates, I threw them away yesterday, when I turned off my computer and went to bed, but now they are back, yelling at me from the sideline, aiming straight for the Windows brain partition, no way they want an other spot then that.

But those invisible growths - that made up for the more then 3 gigabites that were unaccounted for, and the NO MORE ROOM TO MOVE A SCRAP OF THAT PICTURE, BECAUSE YOUR VIRTUAL MEMORY IS FULL, suggesting to MOVE SOMETHING - What about that - will I let that back in as well, along side these 81 updates?

Before yesterday I had lots and lots of tasks in the task manager visible. None of them making sence. But rest asured, they were all creeping and crawling throw the Windows partition. How do I know that I don't put that 3 gigabite growth right back in my poor computers brain, when I allow for those 81 updates to poor over it? There is no stopping them moving straight into the Windows part of the computer. How do I know they will not crowd in the door, so the start up takes forever again, like before yesterday?

But the first and foremost thing that I need to get working properly, is the way my computer looks at websites. What have I forgotten, in all the confusion of this throwback to babystage?

Crying or Very sad Confused Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:30 am   Reply with quote         

FUBAR...but hang on for the experts, Anna.

You may be able to go back to your registry and pick up where you left off.

(and don't let them tell you to hit shift F4)

ScionShade

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:03 am   Reply with quote         

My screen comes across perfect in every detail... CRT still the best.

ScionShade

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

Annajon--I am assuming you are on windows XP...
So you are starting out fresh..that's not a bad thing..just time consuming---
I think the most important, rewarding thing you can possibly do at this time is to take Splodge's advice and go to CrystalXP and download a bricopack.
I have an XP and a Vista machine--the XP has the best bells and whistle that Vista has--thanks to Splodges CrystalXP advice, except for one thing---a juiced up XP machine is way way way better than a Vista.
BRICOPACK!
MY piece of advice is start making use of PitstopPC.com...let them scan yer machine and tweak it to run smooth/fast--its free and very safe.

annajon

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks ScionShade, I will soldier on - to victory and ... !! (hmm no pirate day was yesterday) Bricks through the Window, hm, sounds like advise to me!!

Confused

Laughing Will let you know how I muddled through.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

Hey Anna. I've sent a PM. We'll see if we can get this figured out. Very Happy

FootFungas

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:00 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:

Everything comes up nice on my CRT expect the "Clock/phase calibration" is that just an LCD thing?

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:00 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
What Scion said Very Happy

WhimSea

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:35 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:

boy do I agree!!! last year my CRT that I'd had for years at work started getting a little blurry. I figured it was just my eyes as I did need to get my eyes checked... but when I went on vacation the gal that was working on my computer complained to management that I needed a new monitor. They were planning on getting the new LCD View Sonic for us, so they brought one up for me....

HATED IT! I was seeing the lines going thru the letters and ghost images of color on the edges of text. Sure the images were beautiful, but the text just sucked!

Manager said I didn't have to have a LCD monitor if I didn't want it - so I switched for the other gal's old CRT monitor. She said it was the stupidest thing she ever heard of (me not liking the new LCD monitor).... but she wears glasses for seeing up close and couldn't see what I was seeing.

I love CRT!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - LCD screen evaluation images - Reply to topic