Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question for the old-timers - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:40 pm   Reply with quote         

For those of you who've been around this site a while, how do you think the "Gate Locks" contest
( http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/2234/gate-locks.html )
would have differed (if at all) had the same source been used 3 years ago?

ReyRey

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:44 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
For those of you who've been around this site a while, how do you think the "Gate Locks" contest

What is your opinion???

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 pm   Reply with quote         

I ain't no old-timer, but I think the winner would have walked away with 20 votes give or take. I'm guessing BC is asking an 'idea' issue here though..

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I must say that some of the ideas in today's contest made me say..."Ooooooh".

Very nice work, people.

ReinMan

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Well (and this is NOT a critisism to those who have done some very cool chops on this contest) no one would have had a month to put it all together.

So of course it would have been different.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:51 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Well (and this is NOT a critisism to those who have done some very cool chops on this contest) no one would have had a month to put it all together.

So of course it would have been different.

true true

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..
splodge

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:52 pm   Reply with quote         

i know what he's saying Smile i'm old,
there would of been more bondage, slavery, female abuse, child abuse, all the old classics

Hallcross Toots
TheShaman

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:53 pm   Reply with quote         

I haven't been around that long, but
I think there would have been more 'outside the box ideas'
and what reinman said too Laughing

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:18 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been kicking around here for a while now, and here's my 2 cents...

I think that there has been a trend in recent years to make images that are dark for the sake of being dark, because people think that's "edgy and cool". And really, that's just taking the easy way out. Maybe this is a generation thing, but I also think that the popularity of a couple of choppers who tend toward the dark & moody has spawned a bunch of people who try to emulate that.

Not to say that there aren't plenty of creative folks around here now, but there does seem to be a lower proportion of great idea-driven chops.

To address the "Gate Locks" contest (which, incidentally, I took the source photo for), I do think that a few years ago there would have been far fewer of the "tortured soul" pics, and more of a variety of different ideas.

Stevster

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:

I think that there has been a trend in recent years to make images that are dark for the sake of being dark, because people think that's "edgy and cool".

I couldn't agree more.

ReyRey

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 pm   Reply with quote         

EJH wrote:

I think that there has been a trend in recent years to make images that are dark for the sake of being dark, because people think that's "edgy and cool". And really, that's just taking the easy way out. Maybe this is a generation thing, but I also think that the popularity of a couple of choppers who tend toward the dark & moody has spawned a bunch of people who try to emulate that.

Not to say that there aren't plenty of creative folks around here now, but there does seem to be a lower proportion of great idea-driven chops.

To address the "Gate Locks" contest (which, incidentally, I took the source photo for), I do think that a few years ago there would have been far fewer of the "tortured soul" pics, and more of a variety of different ideas.

I was not trying to copy anyone. It just related to how I have been feeling a lot these days. There are a lot of dark artists on this web site. I like most of them. It kind of follows the times. Kind of like music. It all seems pretty dark now a days. Even Rap is all gangsterised and violent now a days. Sign of the times.
On that note...I do believe the "Grunge" "Dark" artists have inspired many people with their ingenious uses of textures and overlays to get a mood or effect across. I don't believe it is an easy way out. It is not easy to do well. I think it is just like any other image. If its done well, I will vote. I would rather see something funny or beautiful but some dark stuff blows me away when it is done well. (Meaty..cough...)

TheShaman

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Thus the reason I try to go the other way (not only to be different, but also to show my faith in Christ)
Sure, I've done a few blood and gore images, but my Faith based art not only does better, but I'm more proud of them.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:47 pm   Reply with quote         

By the way. No big deal...but this should have waited until after the contest. Confused No?

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:51 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:

What's your take on it, BC?

ReinMan

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
By the way. No big deal...but this should have waited until after the contest. Confused No?

Oh!

Is this thing still an ACTIVE contest? Shocked

You mean I could actually ENTER it and compete in a way that is FUNNY, LIGHT, INSPIRING, and somewhat Un-DARK???? Shocked Shocked

(*runs and hides*)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question for the old-timers - Reply to topic