Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - THE SOURCE OF THE MATTER - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

blue_lurker

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:24 am   Reply with quote         

Ok I know this has been talked about before, (been here long enough) but I still think it worth talkin about. (Pulls out ACME soapbox)

"ALL SOURCE"

Here is my take on it, if an image is "all source" then that's it source and photoshop work nothing more. I don't understand why people put "all source" other than blahblah, or only external is blahblah rest is "all source".

If some thing is "all source" then that's it, I have great respect for "all source" images. It is a lot harder to complete an image with only photoshop and your skills and imagination, now I'm not saying externals should not be used, that would be silly. Wink

What I'm trying to say is an "all source" image, in my opinion, is a lot more difficult than a simple cut and paste, not a better image mind you, (Man have I had some "all source" disasters) just harder to achieve that final result. A good "all source" image in my opinion has that edge on a good cut and paste.

Ok that's me off da soap box your turn now.

Oscar

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:38 am   Reply with quote         

And the saddest thing is that they still win with their " all source " entries.

Very Happy

hi

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:51 am   Reply with quote         

It's a matter of people wanting to show how much work they've done. If someone does 14 hours of all source work and has 1 or 2 outside sources integrated, should they lie or not draw attention to their sources for fear of such a response as this? They have the right to point out that everything "except this" was all source and they worked hard on it. Heck, there is a recent entry that uses the source only as a reference and has manipulated another external source to look like part of it, which takes a comparable amount of talent and it's unique. People shouldn't get too locked into "all source". Sure, it's is an easy way of showing you did a lot of work, but composites have their own personal charm. It's good to experiment.

The bigger issue is using the "All source" name as a cop out for doing shoddy work. Some users do an "all source" image sloppily and then expect 50 gold stars for it just because it says "all source". You still need to do it well; remember that and you'll do much better with your all source entries. Wink

Hurry people, the soap is starting to melt.
bigbuck

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:03 am   Reply with quote         

Don't forget the 'no source' entries...

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/122471/cutout.html

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 am   Reply with quote         

i'm working right as we speak on an all source and ps image (wheele chair) and shit its taking me a long time and am on my 4th update. so i have great respect for all source and ps chops but not sure if i'll continue that way do to the hrs i've put in it but its a great learning experience and a big challenge for me.
-matt-

blue_lurker

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:12 am   Reply with quote         

Ok I see your point Bill, and agree with the skill part with an all source, It has been used as a vote grabber, but...come on you knew I was gunna say but...

If you do an image and add externals then do what most others do...link your external and mention your externals, dont declare it an "all source". I beleive it takes form the effort to try an all source image. If you feel the need to point out your work then do so but why use "all source" in front of it. Im sure most here can tell the difference from good "all source from bad "All source" from "all source BUT".

Now I have just realised, (Thanks Eve) that my entry for the contest today is all source, (shit bad timing on my behalf). This is not a vote grab, but a real issue for this site.

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:33 am   Reply with quote         

I hear that. I think, now after reading a bit more, that this really boils down to a matter of wording. Let's say someone does 10 hours of all source work and throws on one external. They could say, well I did this, this, this, and that with the source and then integrated this outside source. Or they can say all source except for this outside source and it's a lot more simple to say it that way, and in a lot of cases I think that's why people do it. But, looking at the blue lurker argument, because of the connotation of the phrase "all source", there are times when the "all source except" name is applied to an image only for the purpose of scoring the votes that come along with having the "all source" phrasing in your author notes. I can see that.
Technically you can say "The part of this image that is not occupied by this external (link) is all source" and you will be right, but are you saying it because it is an easy way to state what you did or are you using it to just get a few more votes?
Perhaps a better way to word it is "This is the only external image". Then you can leave "all source" to be implied. Wink

Quit opening cans of worms bl! Razz
bigbuck

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:43 am   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:

Perhaps a better way to word it is "This is the only external image". Then you can leave "all source" to be implied. Wink

Quit opening cans of worms bl! Razz

I prefer this option...

bigbuck

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:49 am   Reply with quote         

How about "All source, except the foreground, the background, the cat, the dog, the teapot and the fire hydrant"?

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:59 am   Reply with quote         

Then they should just post links to sources as it's a composite or perhaps not even say anything...
or perhaps they could say "composite except for this piece of the original source". Laughing
blue_lurker

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:18 am   Reply with quote         

Ok it is only a word I agree, yet...(tried not to use but)...it is a word that has a lot meaning to many people I will look more closly at an all source for the original changes rather than the quality of a search of an image. I guess it comes down to choice huh...thats why this place is so good...ya get tomake your own mind up. Very Happy

Micose

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 am   Reply with quote         

all source comment.

edovan

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:25 am   Reply with quote         

all sorcerer...
annajon

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Anyone who submits an entry one day - using that days original plus parts of a previous original is technicly using all source, but from two images - does this make matters worse?

I have, on occasion, and since I have the use of photobucket (mind you) placed a link to an image on photobucket, on which I show the outside sources used to make my entry. That explains itself, I think. And it serves another purpose. If you keep saying my outside images come from this, link, and this, link, then you can give unsuspecting people on other sites heavy traffic, which is not always wanted.

Know what I mean?

I think next time when I have an all source entry, I will just say: "I DID THIS!!!" then there will be no confusion.

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:54 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
I have, on occasion, and since I have the use of photobucket (mind you) placed a link to an image on photobucket, on which I show the outside sources used to make my entry. That explains itself, I think. And it serves another purpose. If you keep saying my outside images come from this, link, and this, link, then you can give unsuspecting people on other sites heavy traffic, which is not always wanted.

I used to do that myself. It's a very effective way of presenting the sources you used when you have a lot of them and not a lot of url space to link to a lot of pics. Wink

As for using another psc source along with the required one, the other psc source would technically be considered an external; All source referring only to the required source of the day.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - THE SOURCE OF THE MATTER - Reply to topic