Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - art desecration - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:46 am   Reply with quote         

my previous post is now worth $2,830,000. bow down to my amazing artistic abilities.

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:53 am   Reply with quote         

That's not artwork! ~ It's garbage!!! Shocked

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:02 pm   Reply with quote         

If you Google for Cy on the Internet, then you go to images, you will find lots of pages full of childrens crayons, that all parents have a box full of, work they can't throw out, because their dear ones made it, in pre-school.

And then there are some websites that show you artwork, made by one Elephant Artist in India, who has great colour perception. And at least two Chimpansee artists, one in Austria and our own good old Cheeta (the true Cheeta who worked with the original Tarzan in the early years!!) - that old biddie is still working real hard each day to paint her time away on canvas. And they all sell their work, to further the cause of animals in need, all over the world.

The images of these three animals is what I had to think of, when I found the Cy pages on the Google. The difference between the artists is, that Cy sells for between 3 million and more then 10 million and the Elephant and Chimpansees have to do with what people are willing to pay at a charity sale.

Why don't we make a public plea here, for all artlovers who can't quite scrape together two million for one Cy, to buy up all the Animal art, and keep selling and reselling is to finance the furthering of the good causes in Aminal land.

It would cost them a fraction - they can get the starting capital back from the Taxman, because it is a GOOD CAUSE and eventually even the Elephant and Chimpansee works will make millions (collectively, adding it up each time it sells) as long as the proceeds keep going to the good cause.

annajon

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:03 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:05 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:10 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Oldage

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:17 pm   Reply with quote         

All I read in this topic makes me think that you all guys jumped to conclusion without knowing who is the artist and why he made a plain white artwork. Did he ask for that price? Surely not, it is the speculation of art collectors that made the price that high.

Being ashamed to be a human is very emotive reaction.

I don't know if you guys know of Soulages? I think his plain black paintings are very worth looking at. Maybe black is different because a canvas is white and the artist needs to paint it black..
Through his plain (textured) black paintings Soulages searches for pure light and how it plays on the canvas.

To make a long story short, price is one thing, artwok is another thing.

You can even think of the white painting in three different way:
1. white means white men. It may mean the hegemony of white men of the artistic world and the denial of any other form of art (William Morris, the arts and crafts visionary, once said that Japanese don't have art). Not to forget that before Darwin, scientist believed that white man is the most intelligent race, that in terms of natural evolution he is at the top, and that his tastes are the most developed...

2. One can see white as peace. I think that this a very simplistic approach. But it is worth meditating nowadays.

3. White canvas means absence of art a day off from art. This extremely important because if you make art because of the pressure of agents, galleries...then art won't be pure. So maybe the artist was looking for rare pure moments ..

I may be wrong, but at least I did not jump to conclusions and judged the artist without knowledge.

Cheers

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:12 pm   Reply with quote         

I loved this story. But is it true? Could that actually be a Jackson Pollock work of art?

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/65/jackson_pollock_art_mystery?comment_offset=31

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Oldage wrote:

Being ashamed to be a human is very emotive reaction.

You can even think of the white painting in three different way:
1. white means white men. It may mean the hegemony of white men of the artistic world and the denial of any other form of art (William Morris, the arts and crafts visionary, once said that Japanese don't have art). Not to forget that before Darwin, scientist believed that white man is the most intelligent race, that in terms of natural evolution he is at the top, and that his tastes are the most developed...

2. One can see white as peace. I think that this a very simplistic approach. But it is worth meditating nowadays.

3. White canvas means absence of art a day off from art. This extremely important because if you make art because of the pressure of agents, galleries...then art won't be pure. So maybe the artist was looking for rare pure moments ..

I may be wrong, but at least I did not jump to conclusions and judged the artist without knowledge.

Cheers

When it comes to this, I disagree with your statement that "price is one thing, artwork is another".
The difference between a 3 million dollar white painting and an identical painting worth 30 dollars, is that the one worth millions starts to take on deep social and political meanings whereas the 30 dollar one is just...white.

If the price of Cy Twombly's work dipped to $30, it would actually cease to be art and simply become a wall. You can't say that about Gauguin.

I usually like to leave discussions of "what is art?" to teens getting high around a campfire but I actually don't believe this is subjective.
Passing a white painting off as meaningful art is akin to me uttering the words, "white men dominate this world" and then charging money for the air that escaped my mouth.

buglover

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:

I give you 50 cents!

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
a $47,000 restoration cost? What to paint it white again?
How bout I come over with some KILZ and we'll have that done for under $10... so just I'll keep the other $46,990 Laughing Rolling Eyes

KILZ is great stuff....count me in if ya need a hand!!!!lol

couldb5150

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:19 pm   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
my previous post is now worth $2,830,000. bow down to my amazing artistic abilities.

LMFAO!!!...YOU'RE KILLING ME ....now I must go and clean up my spilled beer!...lol

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Eepi

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - art desecration - Reply to topic