Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Why I critique - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

dewdew

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Dot wrote:
this place is so messed up sometimes..last time there was a thread here about someone asking to give more critique instead of just voting and then now people who do give critique get pm's because they give too much critique... Rolling Eyes

As the PSC turns..........i love this soap opera(SOAPBOPPER) for the redneckians and southern.
and No commercials either........CHERRIES Laughing Laughing

You can't please all of the people some of the time, and you cant please this crowd ever.

TA the fact that you actually look at the entrys, not only at correctness, but to see what they are actually trying to acheive and give credit is more than anyone could ask. Keep doing Your Thang Man.

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Dot wrote:
this place is so messed up sometimes..last time there was a thread here about someone asking to give more critique instead of just voting and then now people who do give critique get pm's because they give too much critique... Rolling Eyes

There's another distinction that may have been missed here (I'm too lazy to read all the posts). A critique doesn't always mean the same as feedback. And some people can't tell the difference (which, I believe, is Tracy's point).

There has been suggestions that feedback/criticism should be given via PMs. I personally don't side with that. If the feedback/criticism is constructive and others can learn from it then put it in the comments for all to see! The only downside is that, the way the entry updates work, the comments seem out of place once the tips have been implemented.

I agree with MG that I'd rather have 100 comments helping to improve a piece than even 1 "effort vote". I will also publicly state that I would rather have ALL feedback of my chops be in the public realm. Those who'd rather have the negatives PM'd to them need to develop a thicker skin (imho). Smile

Sassy

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:08 pm   Reply with quote         

HAHAHAHA @ Dot true...haven't entered in awhile but "Anonymous Critiques" Might be the answer.

People take things personal if its one on one for some reason..Just a thought.I know someone will critique this post! Surprised Laughing

Personally I would love to see 2 seperate contests one for the serious technical chops and another for fun goofy chops

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:12 pm   Reply with quote         

It would be a much better experience for everybody if all comments, critiques, etc. were public. If it hurts your number of votes - tough, don't make the same mistake next time. If you update an entry in reaction to one of these, put a comment under the entry - "thanks tadams, updated per your suggestions"

As much as my time allows me, I'd vote and/or comment with "I like this, I don't like that, here's what you do" - take it or leave it

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:22 pm   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:
Anyone can learn anything they set their mind to. It's just a matter of how bad they want it. The learning curve is what makes and/or breaks most people from reaching their goals. Try anything you want, does'nt matter what it is. The less you actually know, the better. Just See how that learning curve becomes more like a right angle. It is almost impossible to acheive anything you don't know, without some kind of guidance. The person who has someone that can guide them and say Hey, if you do this or that it's easier, better, faster, whatever. The curve becomes less which in return helps you reach your goal. CHERRIES baby, dang it pay attention...

Very well put, DewDew. Your fun spirit and your cherries make it fun to be here Exclamation

ReyRey

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:35 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
It would be a much better experience for everybody if all comments, critiques, etc. were public. If it hurts your number of votes - tough, don't make the same mistake next time. If you update an entry in reaction to one of these, put a comment under the entry - "thanks tadams, updated per your suggestions"

As much as my time allows me, I'd vote and/or comment with "I like this, I don't like that, here's what you do" - take it or leave it

hahahah Tough Love! I love it. That's how you learn. If someone keeps pointing out your mistakes your going to be tougher on yourself before entering your next image. There are some people that would say. "You can not tell me what is wrong with my piece because it is art" hahahah Bullshit. Crap is crap no matter what style it's in. If you just want people to tell you that you are wonderful and hang your shit on the refrigerator then you are never going to improve. You will have to sit in your own little world where only you understand art and everybody else is stupid. Then again, there are some people who don't know what they are talking about and comment anyways. You will have to weed these out for yourself. Hint: If more than three people say "it's not done well" then it's probably crap. Learn the basics first, (perspective, Shading, shadows, color theory.) Then create art. It will show and people know if it is good or not. Wink Listen, Learn, and have fun. He/she who complains about Crits can not complain about not getting votes. Argh
NSTFUAC!!!

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 pm   Reply with quote         

tracy i like your crits and crits from others i might not always follow them but most of the time as you know as we have talked about that in the past ( and no i wasn't the one to write tracy on this issue) so back to the forum i am allways welcome to crits as thats how i learn and occasionally i'll float crits but not much
-matt-

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:50 pm   Reply with quote         

HEAR, HEAR! I say.

You can be a peach to everyone, but some people prefer plums!

So I wouldn't sweat it... if you like to critique/provide feedback, do it, just don't have expectations of how the 'critiquee' will react. Very Happy

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

I want to clarify that this whole business of critiquing and why I critique has been on my mind for some time. The fact that someone sent me a friendly PM enabled me to finally take the time to share my thoughts. There is no need to tell people you are not the one who sent the PM. I am quite pleased that this individual took the time to PM me, read my response, and respond back in an even friendlier manner. It's what makes the PSC world go round and round. Very Happy

annajon

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:53 pm   Reply with quote         

I think I will put one little line under my entries from now on. PLEASE GIVE COMMENT!!! Because that works best for me. I rather have 20 comments then two votes that say nothing.

And to put things in perspective, I sometimes write a pm when I have more then a few words to say about somebodies entry. And when I vote, I feel imbarreshed that I don't know enought short lines to express what I feel about an image. I think I should say something every time, but my mind will not give me the words to use. And then I just push the vote button. And go back and back to look at the images, to see if something comes up next time.

My work is so bad lately, that I should not even have published it, but I would welcome any critique from the few people who look at it, any time. Publicly or through the pm.

Braveheart Tracy, thanks for the forum

ReyRey

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:53 pm   Reply with quote         

tadams wrote:
I want to clarify that this whole business of critiquing and why I critique has been on my mind for some time. The fact that someone sent me a friendly PM enabled me to finally take the time to share my thoughts. There is no need to tell people you are not the one who sent the PM. I am quite pleased that this individual took the time to PM me, read my response, and respond back in an even friendlier manner. It's what makes the PSC world go round and round. Very Happy

It wasn't me Shocked I didn't do it Shocked IT wasn't MEEEEE!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Wink

Stevster

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I think you should copy and paste your crit into a PM which prompts the author with an email. It's real easy to go several hours without checking on your entry.

I have lost to people who have pointed out my flaws while gaining votes before I could fix the mistakes. However, once the contest is over they seem to apologize for not PMing me first. Laughing Laughing

Mir

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Love your critics Tracy, I have learnt a lot from them and feel privilaged when you or anyone else takes the time to point out when things could be done better. I usually do take the time to do the changes suggested and there are times when I have gone back to an image 2 or 3 times and that is the best learning experiece. I always comment that updates have been made and usually I get another response saying if the image has improved or not. I really thank you for taking the time to do so. There may have been times when I simple could not find the time to do the changes but the lessons were still learnt and would help to improve my future work. So, keep it coming and thanks again.

Mir

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:27 pm   Reply with quote         

well

1 : negative criticism, it's bad and takes people down for nothing.It doesn't bring anything good.

2 : positive criticism: you should try to do this in this way so it looks better, this is what you did wrong, this is how to do it better, that's called helping .

have a nice day

Tesore

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Rolling Eyes

Shocked

Dear Tracy,

I never have a problem with your (or others) critique! As Eve said: 'Tadams, your critiques are nearly ALWAYS included your vote'. And that’s not only true but also very sweet! There’s nothing wrong with friendly and, more important, building criticism. Thanks for your time and effort.

In general:
Critiques about mistakes of (missing) skills are okay! But… it’s not done to judge about fantasy and artistic taste, imho.
I’ll really hope I make myself clear?!

I won’t give critiques, because I’m a newbie and anyhow... nobody can read what I mean!
Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Why I critique - Reply to topic