Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Why I critique - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Stevster wrote:
I think you should copy and paste your crit into a PM which prompts the author with an email. It's real easy to go several hours without checking on your entry.

I have lost to people who have pointed out my flaws while gaining votes before I could fix the mistakes. However, once the contest is over they seem to apologize for not PMing me first. Laughing Laughing

Go play your clarinet while you contemplate revenge Laughing

bigbuck

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Yup. Exactly what I was on about over here Trace..
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8277&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
...but I still think a majority don't really want any advice. I dearly wanted to point out a couple of things on entries in the vines thread, but just didn't bother. At present, I'd give out much more advice when someone shows me an entry before they post it.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 pm   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
Yup. Exactly what I was on about over here Trace..
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8277&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
...but I still think a majority don't really want any advice. I dearly wanted to point out a couple of things on entries in the vines thread, but just didn't bother. At present, I'd give out much more advice when someone shows me an entry before they post it.

I was actively watching that thread, but hadn't sorted my thoughts out enough to reply. Good stuff.

ScionShade

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Critiques, advice, opinions positive and negative have been a basic part of this site from the get-go. Ya don't like a critique, then respond and say so. Anyone PM'ing ya is manipulating ya. Responding , even negatively, by Pm gets guilt/obligatory votes in response.
Truly negative critiques are pretty stinking rare and were par for the course not too long ago. Truly positive critiques were also par for the course. They've been nearly completely replaced by disengenuine
positive comments fishing for obligatory return votes.
In short..anyone complaining about any critique, aside from those over the board like the rare "this is crap" only care about votes, and are all
vote traders.
That's fine if you enjoy being bullshitted to feed yer ego, but any person that actually gives a crap about you will be honest, will speak openly to you, and that will cause you to become better at what you do.
I like Tadams response.

welan

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with you Tadams.......we will never know what the sunshine is all about ,if we don,t spend time in the rain. Soooooo if you can't stand the criticism
get out of the kitchen..... Laughing Big hugz to all those that try to help... Surprised Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

dewdew

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Very well put, DewDew. Your fun spirit and your cherries make it fun to be here

OOOHHHHHH CHIT TA done started drinking, Hey on the other up side,(drinking is a up) the responces to this post after todays contest should really be a HOOT. You know how alcohol can really make you brutfully Honest....and loud....well it does me. Laughing
The shadow needs a to be facing.......may come out like.......You stoopid stoopid idjut, hickup, the sun dont cast shadows towards itself, hickup-hickup, read a damn art book why don't'cha.....hey i may use that one Laughing

bigbuck

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:38 pm   Reply with quote         

A couple of weeks ago in the comps I watched (what I considered) some very ordinary chops do very well in the voting. 47 odd votes or something like that. There was some fairly poor edgework in C & P, no shadows where there should have been, light coming from different directions on different objects and so on...

So how does one then pop in and criticise something after 47 others have voted for it? Why would anyone want feedback if they're getting 40-50 votes for average quality stuff? It's confused the hell out of me.
I wonder if people really are looking critically at entries anymore?
The feedback thing is all about education. The chopper learns something from it......and if it's public....other viewers/voters also learn stuff.

There really should be more of it......but how it's handled is the big question. I've sent 3 pms in recent weeks with some advice on chops. 1 was replied to....and nil were edited. If voting continues on its current path then I think there is little incentive to actually improve.

I'm just really thankful to guys like Rey, Marco, Btvs and others for the feedback I've had...

"Ha ha ha a little better shading and shadowing would have made the tv look more realistic but still a good job. (even a little noise and a white layer set to 30% opacity would help the screen"

"the perspective is just all over the place on this, but i'll throw you a very funny idea vote"

"this is a great idea BB, I think if the nails had better definition, this would have done a lot better"

"I really like the transformation, but the leaf blur is a problem. It should be clear atleast where the grasshopper is. Correct this, and the chop will be much better, IMO."

"in my opinion get rid of the spaceship Brad, its interupting a really good entry"

"shadows don't match, one is slightly soft, one is crisper"

"very nice though masks seem to float slightly...another darker shadow closer to masks would ground it better"

"maybe the location of the car could be a shade to the right and up to overlap the building and give the image more overall depth"

"maybe my eyes are fooling me, but i see color mismatches here and there on the body"

"Nice! I think the motion effect is good, but the shadow of it has to be dark like it is on the top but getting lighter to the bottom."

I could post thousands of these......and they were all greatly appreciated!

Though here's one that did ruffle my feathers a little..

"Good Idea, but enlarge this image and even U would not like it"

and Anfa's response "I like it! centurius is a DICK! Smile"

Micose

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
Tadams, your critiques are nearly ALWAYS included with your vote. There's the distinction. You are stating you appreciate their work but some things could be better.

95% of the time, I agree with you.

Jen...i doubt we need more buttons. A simple, "Feel free to offer help" in the author's notes is sufficient.

IN MANY SITES THERE IS A FEATURE THAT EXISTS, this feature says: "accept comments and critics or not", it blocks comments for those who prefer...so no more critics and no more "amazing","congrats","y da man" comments either Laughing Sad Wink
marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Very Happy I love your comments and critiques Trace, and the best thing is we have good banter about the way we both see it. I am glad you are the way you are, so never change that, keep on *insert cliche here*

*doing what you do
*truckin'
*rollin'
*being you
*rockin'

Laughing Wink

the burning couch

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I love critiques..good and bad. I figure,sometimes the one's that are get'n pissed off about someone point'n out the flaws are the ones that already knew what the flaws were in the first place but just didn't wanna be reminded of them.*!*

Tea Man

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 pm   Reply with quote         

yep, love critiques, definately need more tadams here. If you're good enough to see flaws in someone's picture that makes you responisble to take action and say something.

Maybe it would be easier if there was something like "3 sections for entries,
-an amatuer for newbies that need critiques and ect,

-an intermediate level for more constant choppers who may need a little help here and there and

-a Pro level with people who have been able to place in the top 3 consistantly and need little to no help".

(not my idea, someone said it in a different forum post somewhere)

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 pm   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
Very Happy I love your comments and critiques Trace, and the best thing is we have good banter about the way we both see it. I am glad you are the way you are, so never change that, keep on *insert cliche here*

*doing what you do
*truckin'
*rollin'
*being you
*rockin'

Laughing Wink

Yes, indeed the banter is good. Of all the people here at PSC I am hardest on you. Sometimes you make changes, but most importantly, you stand your ground (even though you're wrong Laughing) and explain your stance through Marco-speak (some call it Marcasm, a play on Marco and sarcasm, a sort of twisted logic only people who've been here a while can pretend to understand. Nevertheless, we both have a good time.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:40 am   Reply with quote         

I have noticed lately more criticism aimed at the more advanced choppers by other advanced choppers. Uncertain if it's one upmanship or trying to get everyone to improve their game. I'm hoping the latter...expecially if the critiquer is in #2 or #3 slot.

Everyone should/can benefit from some positive feedback.

Tadams has been doing a fine job. I'd enjoy hearing from a few others as well.

I love criticism just so long as it's unqualified praise. ~Noel Coward
and...
“No comment” is a comment. ~George Carlin

Very Happy

Oscar

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:49 am   Reply with quote         

People who cherish and care for friends suck, therefor I welcome all criticism.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:19 am   Reply with quote         

Oscar wrote:
People who cherish and care for friends suck, therefor I welcome all criticism.

Hug just 'cause I think you need it.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Why I critique - Reply to topic