Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Why I critique - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

TheShaman

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:41 pm   Reply with quote         

you're welcome Lux.

I like to critique too, not that I know how to go about everything in PS but I'd like to think that I can spot certain things that you may have missed. And yes I'm guilty of the "..." but thats just my way of saying, yep I like it, no need to say a word. If you get more, call that icing! Laughing

I have in the past been hesitant to actually say, "hey have you thought about this or that, or this needs attention" and those were in the days that my vote totals really mattered, and I didn't want to piss people off into not voting for me. Now that I'm in my full 2nd year at PSC (joined Sept 2005) I'd like to think of myself as not a rookie anymore so I feel I can speak up a bit. (esp after just reaching 20,000 votes) Shocked

I'm in a phase now, where I just don't care if I get the 43958 votes. I'd rather be happy myself with what I've created, knowing that I think its cool. Thats my main motivation now. Make things that make me happy. If you like them too, awesome! (call it selfish if you must, I'm just being realistic). Art is subjective, and just cause I like something, doesn't mean you do too. And quite frankly, that thinking helped my over all work.

If you think something still needs work, please for the LOVE OF GOD tell me! 10/10 I will at least entertain your suggestion, and 8/10 I will try to fix what ever it is that you've suggested. Sure, I love to win, doesn't everyone? But I'm no longer loosing sleep over why such and such wont vote for me for whatever reason. Be it I've made them angry, or I wont vote for their type of chop or what have you. I too am here to learn, and learn I have! Thanks to this website, I have not only kept my current employment when they laid off about 50% of the work force, but I got a promotion!! It was due largely to the tricks and techniques I learned from people critiquing my Photoshop Chops here!

So please, critique away! This is like it says above, an Essential Resource. Lets remember like the others have said too... We think our children (in this case chops) are perfect, yet everyone else sees all of their flaws... Its always good to hear what others think of your kids, so that we can beat the hell out of them when we get them home! Wink

Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz wrote:
It dealt with an observation I made on a winning chop, a comment made on the entry, then a subsequent entry in the forums dealing with this observation and my 2 cents worth. Since its has to do with this topic I thought I would share it with you.You may find it interesting. Due to my perceived futility this was the last time I posted any more critiques on the forums....
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=120036&highlight=#120036
Aah, the good old days. It seems I was there too Laughing I don't understand why our discussion a year ago would stop you from sharing your opinion. There was no futility, it was a back and forth discussion at the end of which, I believe, I admitted I was wrong on some of the issues (which doesn't happen very often). There was also an idea back then to initiate a 'chop-the-chop' forum in which an entry would be criticized, analyzed, revised, etc. for the benefit of learning from each other how things work.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:44 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
...If you think something still needs work, please for the LOVE OF GOD tell me! 10/10 I will at least entertain your suggestion, and 8/10 I will try to fix what ever it is that you've suggested. Sure, I love to win, doesn't everyone?...
Arrrghhh! You should have cropped, win or no win Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz wrote:
...It dealt with an observation I made on a winning chop,a comment made on the entry,then a subsequent entry in the forums dealing with this observation and my 2 cents worth.Since its has to do with this topic I thought I would share it with you.You may find it interesting.Due to my perceived futility this was the last time I posted any more critiques on the forums.Anyway keep being the way you are.This site is all the better for it Wink.Here's the link to my forum post: http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=120036&highlight=#120036

A note on the boat entry: You were obviously correct about the shadow. I think the trick with the original version is how the inside boat shadow is a continuation of the outside shadow, which fools the brain into thinking the two belong together. Compositionally, I prefer the new version because while the two outside oars complement the curve of the top dune, the middle oar in your version is a nice complement to the dune's peak. It's almost as if the two are connected, speaking to each other. And, the correct shadow placement now creates a nice contrast of light and dark.

TheShaman

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:59 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
...If you think something still needs work, please for the LOVE OF GOD tell me! 10/10 I will at least entertain your suggestion, and 8/10 I will try to fix what ever it is that you've suggested. Sure, I love to win, doesn't everyone?...
Arrrghhh! You should have cropped, win or no win Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing I KNOW I KNOW! but it won anyway!! Laughing
and had I had the PSD still and hadn't flattened it (like a dumbass), I would have done much more to said sanscrop winner that you had suggested Wink

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:26 pm   Reply with quote         

[quote="vokaris"]
Luxwiz wrote:
...........There was also an idea back then to initiate a 'chop-the-chop' forum in which an entry would be criticized, analyzed, revised, etc. for the benefit of learning from each other how things work.

Now there is something I would love to see. I would offer my chops any time for that.

cherylm329

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Despite the fact that Tadams sorta got under my skin at one point too because of his constant critiques. I still appreciated what suggestions he made because he was nice about it at least (and most here are). Not everyone is going to be so nice about it. Plus, he made some good points and when I didn't agree with some of his critiques then I have a choice to make changes or not (all in all it is your image). I got some really harsh feedback at previous photoshop sites and PSC is by far fair and decent with their critiques. Whoever this person is should be grateful that a person took 2 seconds to look at his/her work and tried to help instead of just clicking vote and moving along. Just my two cents Smile

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:41 pm   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
Despite the fact that Tadams sorta got under my skin at one point too because of his constant critiques. I still appreciated what suggestions he made because he was nice about it at least (and most here are).

As a way of thanking you Cheryl I've rewritten a famous song just for you.

I've got you under my skin.
    I've got you deep in the heart of my chop.
    So deep in my chop that you're really annoying me.
    I'd tried so not to give in to your demands.
    I said to myself: this constant critiquing never will go so well.
    But why should I try to resist when, Tracy, I know so well
    I've got you under my skin?

I'd sacrifice anything come what might
    For the sake of havin' your opinions go away
    In spite of a warnin' voice that comes in the night
    And repeats, repeats in my comment box:
    Don't you know, little Cheryl, you never can win?
    Use your mentality, wake up to Tracy's reality.
    But each time that I do just the thought of you
    Makes me want to chop again
    'Cause I've got you under my skin.

cherylm329

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm   Reply with quote         

tadams wrote:
cherylm329 wrote:
Despite the fact that Tadams sorta got under my skin at one point too because of his constant critiques. I still appreciated what suggestions he made because he was nice about it at least (and most here are).

As a way of thanking you Cheryl I've rewritten a famous song just for you.

I've got you deep in the heart of my chop.
    So deep in my chop that you're really annoying me.
    I'd tried so not to give in to your demands.
    I said to myself: this constant critiquing never will go so well.
    But why should I try to resist when, Tracy, I know so well
    I've got you under my skin?

I'd sacrifice anything come what might
    For the sake of havin' your opinions go away
    In spite of a warnin' voice that comes in the night
    And repeats, repeats in my comment box:
    Don't you know, little Cheryl, you never can win?
    Use your mentality, wake up to Tracy's reality.
    But each time that I do just the thought of you
    Makes me want to chop again
    'Cause I've got you under my skin.

Your crazy hahaha Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Why I critique - Reply to topic