Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are we cosmopolitan or homely? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

FOOD

Hate it - can't cook

10%

10%

[ 2 ]

Love it - know loads of recepies

65%

65%

[ 13 ]

Wish I could do without it

20%

20%

[ 4 ]

Can't stop eating (and it shows)

5%

5%

[ 1 ]

Total Votes: 20

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:51 am   Reply with quote         

Tofu I may have been wrong on the buried in ice but here is the info on this stuff Very Happy

Here is the name of that mess they eat in Iceland- Hakarl
and it is fermented shark... Hákarl or kćstur hákarl (Icelandic for "fermented shark") or greenlandic shark is a food from Iceland. It is part of Ţorramatur, Iceland's national food.

To make hákarl the traditional way, the shark is sectioned in pieces and then the meat is buried in gravel for 6 to 12 weeks depending on the season, and then hung in a drying shack for 2 to 4 months. The modern method is just to press the shark's meat in a large drained plastic container

The shark itself is poisonous when fresh due to a high content of uric acid, but may be consumed after being processed (see below). It has a particular ammonia smell, not too dissimilar from many cleaning products. It is often served in cubes on toothpicks. Those new to it will usually gag involuntarily on the first attempt to eat it due to the high ammonia content. It is usually eaten with a shot of the local spirit, brennivin. Eating hákarl is often associated with hardiness and strength.

It can be reddish or white. Hákarl, especially the red variety, is considered easy for those with ulcers to digest.

Chef Anthony Bourdain, who has travelled extensively throughout the world sampling local cuisine for his Travel Channel show No Reservations, has described shark ţorramatur as "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he has ever eaten.[1]

American service men and women, when experiencing ţorrablot while stationed in Iceland, have described the taste of hakarl as "a piece of mushy sponge soaked in window cleaner

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 am   Reply with quote         

Tofu... I like Sushi without the fish then.

Annajon
Scion probably has it worse in Florida, than we do because Flordia is fighting with Georgia over waters released downstream. Parts of TN are in bad shape and having to borrow water from other states. The part I live in is managed by the Tennessee Valley Authority or TVA and we live in a multi-lake/river area.. granted we are rationing on outdoor water useage... like on certain days you can water lawns but so far we still have water.
NOW the entire Southeast has had the worst drought in years and it rained maybe one time all summer/spring. Just last week it poured but I was glad to see it.

There are towns though that have their water turned on between 6pm and 9 pm and that's when they plan to do dishes, laundry, and have showers and then the town's water is shut off the rest of the day... it is disgusting to not flush the toilet except at night and and not only shower in the evening and not before work in the am........ somehow these people manage.

annajon

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 am   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
Tofu... I like Sushi without the fish then.

Annajon
Scion probably has it worse in Florida, than we do because Flordia is fighting with Georgia over waters released downstream. Parts of TN are in bad shape and having to borrow water from other states. The part I live in is managed by the Tennessee Valley Authority or TVA and we live in a multi-lake/river area.. granted we are rationing on outdoor water useage... like on certain days you can water lawns but so far we still have water.
NOW the entire Southeast has had the worst drought in years and it rained maybe one time all summer/spring. Just last week it poured but I was glad to see it.

There are towns though that have their water turned on between 6pm and 9 pm and that's when they plan to do dishes, laundry, and have showers and then the town's water is shut off the rest of the day... it is disgusting to not flush the toilet except at night and and not only shower in the evening and not before work in the am........ somehow these people manage.

It looked very weird on the news today, to see that these people had all these watercontainers in their home, some in the kitchen for cooking and cleaning and some in the bathroom with a bucket to save the used money to flush the toilet with. Strange to think that in parts of Europe there will be more and more people having to live in the same mannor - only then because of the floods that will be happening more and more each year - and people accross the Atlantic having to face more and more draught.

dewdew

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:16 am   Reply with quote         

1. Where do you live. South Carolina,USA

2. Have you lived here all your life.
apart from the Navy...yep

3. What is your favorite local food.
STEAK and TATER'S........more steak less salad.....love gravy on biscuits,rice,tater's,meat.... gravy is good for ya.

4. What is your favorite foreign food. Anything that resembles steak and tater's....oohhh and fried pinapple....it's like joy in your mouth.

5. What was the worst thing you ever had to eat. MAGGOT'S, large too, sorta like a grub worm.POPS like a GOO filled bubble...eeewwwww Survival classes were fun, but the taste of that nasty "sum of a beach" just lingers....and lingers.....dont eat the head though....they say its worse.ohhhh and the only thing worse than that is HOMONY.....that large corn looking shit. Funny though because i love grits. If you have ever smelled Chittlins cooking...you would not eat it. Smells like shit is a understatement.

6. What would be your ultimate wish - to eat at least one time in your life. I have always thought that Horse would be very interesting. Dog i have had while in the Navy ,some Asian port Question and to tell you the truth....it is not that bad. Taste like chicken....hahahahaha not really but i could not help it.

ANNA.... ughhhh ......i am country as a turnip green, and while it is about the only state to still be called just what the Native Americans called it, TEN-NES-SEE......NO i.....

Dont worry about them. My people are from The high mountains in Tennessee. When the first URAPEEING (european) Laughing
sailor came to America. They noticed a group of people living in the Hills of the Tennessee river. When they asked the Indian's about them and where they were from....the Indian's said.....they were here BEFORE us. Now they aint going anywhere. Shit some have not been down that Hill their whole lives.
LOOK up MELUNGEON on the net, you'll see. BY the way both my Grandfather,and Grandmother have MELUNGEON ROOTS.MOTHER and FATHER....is that not inbreeding....or jumping the Creek?......ahhhhh that explains a lot..... cyclops

Although i am now adopting Scion's FLORIDUH as correct.....He is the far most FLORIDUH expert......i hate him and that beach full of gold......he know's what i mean. Laughing but don't worry most American's say Hawaii like HOW-ARE-YA.....all bunched together Laughing . Instaed of HAH-WAH-ii. I love the fact that we can have a thread like this and have such diverse responces.

GRAN IS RIGHT scratch ...no, he is.....i know i was shaocked too.....but the name of the post made me think we had cosmo....online now......you know Cosmo magazine is 366 pages long....and 365 of them are reason's why you should not screw your husband......damn hater's mag. study Laughing

annajon

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

@ Dewdew: I luv yuzzz!!! clown

splodge

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:59 am   Reply with quote         

1. Where do you live.
UK

2. Have you lived here all your life.
NO

3. What is your favorite local food.
Hot roast pork and apple-sauce in a large soft buttered bread roll

4. What is your favorite foreign food.
Chicken tikka masala, pilau rice and onion bhajis

5. What was the worst thing you ever had to eat.
Burnt on the outside, raw on the inside unplucked wild parrot, (long story)

6. What would be your ultimate wish - to eat at least one time in your life.
With my parents travels, my travels, my best friends game-keeper father, my gypsy and farmer friends, several foreign girl friends and living in London for two years, i think i have eaten everything edible at one time or another

Hallcross Toots

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:23 pm   Reply with quote         

dewdew wrote:

GRAN IS RIGHT .....but the name of the post made me think we had cosmo....online now......you know Cosmo magazine is 366 pages long....

I could be wrong but I believe he was referring to the word, "homely", which is more comonly used to mean "ugly".

annajon

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
dewdew wrote:

GRAN IS RIGHT .....but the name of the post made me think we had cosmo....online now......you know Cosmo magazine is 366 pages long....

I could be wrong but I believe he was referring to the word, "homely", which is more comonly used to mean "ugly".

I used homely in the meaning of plain - ordenary - commenly - oldfashioned - regional...

But that seemed to be such a long description, I used the h. word instead. Smile

annajon

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

@ splodge

5. What was the worst thing you ever had to eat.
Burnt on the outside, raw on the inside unplucked wild parrot, (long story)

Bushtucker???

dewdew

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
dewdew wrote:

I am familiar with the term.......hell i resemble that remark. Laughing :lol
Brother homley runs in my family....ohhh and cosmopolitain....is also a drink....alittle too pink for me...but the homely girls like it. Cool and after drinking a few they look better...not quite cosmo good, but better.

annajon

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:11 am   Reply with quote         

Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Are we cosmopolitan or homely? - Reply to topic