Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mac or PC - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ReinMan

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:31 am   Reply with quote         

buglover wrote:
Wow didn't knew Vista fed up that many users Surprised

Maybe apple should make an ad like that:

@ReinMan: Welcome! Wink

I love the new MAC commercial (the one where PC hires a Press Advisor) where the "Vista" users are "Upgrading" to a previous, more "familiar" operating system.

In other words they are going back to XP. Very Happy (I bet they don't get a REFUND on Vista, though...)

supak0ma

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:34 am   Reply with quote         

of course they're not ging back, macs nowadays are fancy pcs with top of the line hardware and a pc OS (based on UNIX).

supak0ma

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

thats why i'm thinking of switching over too, let's face it, some years ago the Mac OS was a pain and a full reinstall was needed every so often, not to mention the system crashes.

supak0ma

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

i wonder if Leopard or Tiger could be installed on a pc? has anyone evr tried that?

ReinMan

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:41 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
thats why i'm thinking of switching over too, let's face it, some years ago the Mac OS was a pain and a full reinstall was needed every so often, not to mention the system crashes.

I gotta tell you, Super Coma, that I still get the occasional hang-ups, and every month or so I'll get a freeze-up. But I hit reboot and in about one and half minutes its back good as new. I never had (even with my tweaked XP) my PC recover fast like that (I usually had to wait 5 or 10 minutes for the Blue Screen Of Improper CLosure to do its thing).

So, I not one of these dudes that says the MAC is failure proof. BUT it has MUCH less problems to start with, gets back on its feet MUCH faster, is truly a joy to use (the Artist in you will go AHHHHH! - much like the first time I held an iPod), and you get the added bonus of depriving Bill Gates of about .0000001% of his yearly income. Smile

cafn8d

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:32 pm   Reply with quote         

I LOVED my MacMini before I was upgraded to a MacPro as a gift from my mother. Only thing I would advise, however, is to get as much RAM as you possibly can right off the bat, especially if you're getting a Mini or a notebook. Unless they've changed in the last couple of years, the Mini casing is a bit like a notebook computer and not user-friendly for installing extra RAM on your own. Some people have done it; some people have messed things up. Most people need to pay a professional to do it for them, which adds cost to the RAM upgrade. This goes for any computer, Mac or PC: try to plan ahead. Graphics and even "basic" programs and OS upgrades are rapidly bloating their RAM usage. Weigh pros and cons for both the idea of getting more RAM up front and what would be involved to upgrade in the future.

And I agree with most of the comments here. Mac is not fool- nor failure-proof, but is overall, a much friendlier user experience than Windows. Sure, you can emulate all sorts of functions, but Windows is prone (in my experience) to 3rd party software compatibility issues, and also becomes more unstable with these products, even with no found incompatibles. Never mind the fact that you still have to get these things properly installed after market. Like everything else, however, your mileage may vary. I've never heard of anyone regretting the change to Mac.

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey my little story with the Vista is that Microsoft says it's up to my manufacturer to help me out to downgrade back to XP. My manufacturer (Toshiba) says it has no downgrade and to ask my retailer(Best Buy) to help me out. My retailer says to ask my manufacturer. The end of this story is I am taking back my Toshiba because they have no XP downgrade. If I was to monkey with the Toshiba myself I can mess up graphics and video drivers and I VOID my warrenty so I just hand it all back to the retailer and Toshiba ! And I save and just force my kid to get used to mac. And never look back.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:50 pm   Reply with quote         

janetdog

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Why mess with either one? Build a bitchin pc for $500. Pocket $700. Then run debian, crossover, and ps7. Merry Christmas!

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:49 pm   Reply with quote         

thanks voks i'll check it out Smile

Culzephyr

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:58 pm   Reply with quote         

I teach Interactive Media on both Mac's and PC's
My Mac are for ever giving me problems. My new MacBookPro locks up on me all the time. And it's not a memory thing.

I would stick with your PC. IF you spend the money on good hardware you won't have a problem.

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

Bought a Vista machine made with top shelf components last May. Worked great for 2 weeks then started randomly rebooting and BSODing. They replaced the CPU, RAM, MB, you name it they tried it. After a month of this I got my money back.

I am now the owner a refurbed Mac Pro. No problems at all.

I think I may have been assimilated, I may even dress cooler now.

Over and out,
Robert

kinetic_be

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:04 pm   Reply with quote         

I've always worked and build my own PC's and for now I'm sticking to PC.
This is because the things I'm doing with it, are going just fine.
I find it cheaper and the performances are good enough.
Nevertheless, if I want to focus on 3D-animation one day or want to start to make music again with the computer, I'll be getting myself a Mac.
The performances and stability for these kind of programs will go better with a Mac, or at least that's how I see it.
Vista sucks, I agree on that.
Many companies here where I know the 'pc-dude' are complaining and even skipping Vista, to wait till next year when Microsoft releases a new OS.
For the Home-user, Vista isn't that much of an issue.. it maybe was a year ago due the release of it along with the bugs, but as far I remember, every OS Microsoft released crashed during the performance-tests Laughing

Wiz

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

"It's a No Brainer Choice, if you want to fly and not walk, jump on a Mac Dream Machine!" Rolling Eyes Wiz

ReyRey

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:50 pm   Reply with quote         

mac

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mac or PC - Reply to topic