Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Voting - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JClark8220

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, I have a question about voting. I just looked at the contest "Defaced Shop", and I was the third entry. However, when you sort it out by Votes, Nogoodsk8rpunk was first, with like over 15 votes. My entry was actually done better, and only received 2 votes. I cleaned up the wall between the buildings, I cleaned the doors a little more, plus I took the time to add in a man with a broom. (That's masking time too.) I put in just as many if not more hours. My question on voting, then, is this more like a popularity contest site? Because our entries are sooooo similar, why did he get way more votes than my entry? I'm just curious. I like the contests with prizes, no names were shown.

Seems to me the same people are getting all the top votes. And, if we have the different categories on what part this entry's best feature is, then why not have a winner in each category? Why is there only one winner? I mean, almost any competition has at least a first, second and third place.

Nothing personal against Nogoodskr8punk, I'm just wondering/curious as to why such a large gap in our votes since our entries are sooooo similar? I really would like to know. I enjoy photoshop, I learn new things all the time, but this voting system really has my mind boggled. I work just as hard or harder than others (I have a lot more time than most, since I don't have a job) yet, I've never even come close to winning anything here. Sure, it feels good to win and be recognized once in a while, but I do photoshop as a hobby, and I don't care if I win or not, but this one contest in particular really has me puzzled at the voting system. I'd really like some feedback, and if anyone else feels the same.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:12 pm   Reply with quote         

JClark8220 wrote:
...My question on voting, then, is this more like a popularity contest site? ...
Absolutely. No question about it. I thought it was written in the official PSC rules somewhere.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm not going to reply on why and hows... (frankly I haven't even looked at any entry)

But consider this, the contest has just started (only 9 hours have past and only 145 votes in total).

If I were you I would have waited a bit before making this a topic... things could change in your favor (or not). I fear that putting this up in a topic might change your chances (being it in your favor or not, i dunno).

In any way, good luck to all parties Smile

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Well, since you are asking:
NGSP did a better cleaningjob on the image....thats why he getting more votes.

In my opinion....

But the contest are not over. There are two days left voting.

By the way; I don't look at the names when voting, I just vote on whom done the best job in my opinion.

Marx-Man

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:18 pm   Reply with quote         

JClark8220 wrote:
Why do I suck, at getting votes?

Edited to get ride of TL:DR

The answer to why you suck is basically contained in the MANY simalar threads posted by numberous users stating just that.

Why is the voting seeminly rigged towards the most popular peeps?

- Somtimes it seems like if you vote for others, then they return the favour...
- Is it a political event.
- Could it be you're cursed
- Could be your entries wern't as good but took more effort from you.
- Or could it be that your not that popular...

Either of these holds just as much validity as the others but to summerize.

Just keep chopping and you'll get votes.

lancoma

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:20 pm   Reply with quote         

maybe because your man cast no shadow Confused

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
But consider this, the contest has just started (only 9 hours have past and only 145 votes in total).

and yeah, that too Laughing

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:24 pm   Reply with quote         

OK heres my 2¢ First off we always see our children in a different light, than others see them... we see them as these "precious can do no wrong angels" when in fact they could be little devils. Love blinds us that way. Same with art, you think "Man my entry is perfect" because YOU made it. It takes someone else to show you what you cannot see in front of your face. Trust me, been here, done that. I had many a hissy fit wondering why my entry wasn't doing 'as good as I thought it should' as I'm sure Billtv, Scion, and a few others could tell you. and now looking back on that all, I see them for what they are, average at best and deserving of the few votes it garnished. But I digresss.

NGSP is doing well because of the actual cleanup work he did. If you look at the bigger version and compare to yours, you don't see any flaws in his mesh like you do with in your screen door. He also cleaned up the door and straightened them out. By far NGSP's cleanup is the best of the whole bunch. and deserves to be where it is, or at least top 5.
Back to yours...
I like the fact you put a guy sweeping up, but he seems sort of flat IMHO. maybe a touch of desaturation to soften the bright light of the sun on him and you'd have to take out that shadow cast on him from your broom. plus the fact that he casts no shadow (maybe hes a vampire?) on the floor and wall behind him. But if you look at the source, its very dim, or at least its like a cloudy day. So you either need to desaturate your guy, and do all that cleanup on him to kill the shadow that shouldn't exist. or you need to brighten your scene and add a shadow from the guy to match up the two picts.
so that coupled with the fact the the mesh has flaws has hurt you. Chalk this up as a learning experience, and keep on chopping. If you have questions, or need help, there are plenty here that would love to help you out (myself included).

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:40 pm   Reply with quote         

I guess no one mentioned that its considered vote whoring to talk about your chop while the contest is active, we'll let you off the hook this time, but next time the PSC Pimps will have to come down there and smack the beotches, don't worry about the votes right now, or ever, just worry about doing a good job. Wink

Unlike this chop... Laughing Shocked

creatrix

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:42 pm   Reply with quote         

IMHO, I thought the guy with the broom looked like he was dropped in. Maybe it's lighting or color saturation or something, but it just didn't seem well integrated. I'm not saying I'm all that - a good number of my own chops plain old suck - but when I vote it's usually because something is either really creative or absolutely seemless. No offense intended here, but I wanted to explain my reasoning. I did consider voting for it, and as I recall, I decided not to for the above reasons.

I don't remember if I voted for the nogood's or not.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Nogoodsk8rpunk was first, with like over 15 votes.........

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ................................................

At what point in the future did you go back in time to make this statement? Because Matt has only 14 votes at this time, mark the time that this entry is published!!!

Please, be patient. And maybe look at you image and Matts image, and see what you can improve. Trust me, you will find it in the end.

Marx-Man

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2840&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

marcoballistic wrote:
Hi there, a few of you will know me and seen me around, been amember for a couple of months now, and things wer going ok, but i just gotta say 0 votes for any of these i think ill hang myself Surprised(

Ahem, Some of youGmayArememberYthisBbutOasYya canQseeUoverOtimeTyouEcanRaccumulate votes.

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I compared both entries in big mode, I always go big, its the only way to fly Wink

and if you click between them in seperate windows/tabs, you can see Matt has done a better overall job, there are imperfections in yours Julie, his is smooth, and used the source to correct and repair better. He has given the pavement infront of the door a more natural look, while yours seems flipped from the left side. And your tent goes behind the new repaired wall, while his feels and looks more natural overlapping it.

At normal size yours looks good also, but clicking big make all the difference. Like many are saying, it is very early in the comp, nad a thread about an open comp is usally a big no no.

Yours has many good points also, hopefully it will pick up more. But from my experience of clean up and repair work, I would say Matt has put at the very least 6- 8 hours into this. And deserves his position in the comp.

Just the way I am seeing it

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:18 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ah the days when I was fresh, without advantage, and did 5 minute chops that looked like ass. And thanks for MArx bringing this up, as this is how I discovered talking about open comps was a major no no Laughing although these were near close when I bought it up, not on first day.

Good to see ya around again by the way Marx, hope uni is going well Very Happy

dewdew

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:25 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
JClark8220 wrote:
...My question on voting, then, is this more like a popularity contest site? ...
Absolutely. No question about it. I thought it was written in the official PSC rules somewhere.

Absolutely......by george.....you people are going to have to start reading these thing before signing.........CASE DISMISSED........BALIFF........next case please

Your HONOR, case # 2millon three hundred and 12........the case of my DADDY......it seems that the plantiff has been told on numerous occasions that the defendants daddy could and in-fact would, whip her daddy.........the defendant your honor wishes to enter a plea of not quilty....she said she never said anything about her daddy.....although she did make a comment about her Ugly ass Momma....she is counter sueing....and would like the plantiff to take back her earlier remark of nana-nana-boo-boo.

Doh!

Besides.....mine better than all ya'll...WAY BETTER.... Razz Razz

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Voting - Reply to topic