Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Attributing copyright on sources? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I found a photo that I think would make a great daily contest. The copyright owner has tentatively given permission to use the photo. I've given the photographer a summary of PSC and I'm waiting back on getting the final approval to submit the photo. At the very least she's given me permission to use it for non-profit use in my own chop. She's requested that I give credit for the photo with her name and copyright for 2007. I have no problem with this.

My question is whether or not this would get the pic disallowed as a daily source image? Putting the label in the corner of this image wouldn't interfere with the main elements of the photo at all.

I guess the main issue is how to give credit for the origins of the source photos when we have been given permission to use them? Giving credit for an external is easy. But what about a daily source pic? Confused

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm   Reply with quote         

How about putting the copyright blurb in the image title (eventually contest title). Unless there's a limited number of characters as is the case with entry titles.

Tawiskaro

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:24 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I found a photo that I think would make a great daily contest. The copyright owner has tentatively given permission to use the photo. I've given the photographer a summary of PSC and I'm waiting back on getting the final approval to submit the photo. At the very least she's given me permission to use it for non-profit use in my own chop. She's requested that I give credit for the photo with her name and copyright for 2007. I have no problem with this.

My question is whether or not this would get the pic disallowed as a daily source image? Putting the label in the corner of this image wouldn't interfere with the main elements of the photo at all.

I guess the main issue is how to give credit for the origins of the source photos when we have been given permission to use them? Giving credit for an external is easy. But what about a daily source pic? Confused

What about the "submitted by" line?

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:

I believe that gets automatically filled by the system to reflect who submitted the pic.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:30 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Tawiskaro wrote:

I believe that gets automatically filled by the system to reflect who submitted the pic.
So, obviously, you should
1. create a new PSC account with the copyright holder's name
2. pay the Advantage dues on the copyright holder's account
3. submit the image using this new Advantage account
4. add the copyright holder's website link in the user profile

Tawiskaro

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:38 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
Tawiskaro wrote:

Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
vokaris wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
Tawiskaro wrote:

Laughing

Ditto.

Laughing

Tawiskaro

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Tofu,

Seriously, I think what you're proposing would open up interesting possibilities for new source images. Adding a couple of lines to the submission form and the contest display to accommodate copyright, license, and origin information should be fairly simple to accomplish programmatically. Procyon might want to make yours the test case.

Lately I having been using the Creative Commons licensed images at Flickr.com for my chops. There is an awful lot of material there that the creators are willing to share so long as they are given credit under the terms of their licenses. I brought this up with Procyon some time ago. He seemed interested, but had other pressing issues at the time. He might be ready to take a second look now.

If you haven't been to Flickr.com, check it out. Type in a word or words in the box at the upper right and click the search button. Then click the "Advanced Search" link. Toward the bottom of the advanced search window is the Creative Commons section. Check the box labeled, "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed photos" and the box below it labeled, "Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon." Finally, press the search button at the bottom of the section. The results will be mostly images you can chop, so long as you are giving credit to the creator and a link to the license. The license information usually appears below the images you display after clicking an "all sizes" button.

While writing this, I did an advanced search on "cow" and came up with 351,957 hits. Yes, more than a quarter of a million images to choose from. Here's an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=257194670&size=o

While searching for stuff to use here I have come across numerous images that would be fun to chop.

Fwiw.

--twk

blue_lurker

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:22 pm   Reply with quote         

You know for me one of the fun things here at PSC is the fact we supply our source images, and as has been mentioned we have enough for the next 5 years or so. I would rather keep using what's ours than start getting all our source from professionals.

My 2cents

WhimSea

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
...The copyright owner has tentatively given permission to use the photo... At the very least she's given me permission to use it for non-profit use in my own chop.

Giving credit for an external is easy. But what about a daily source pic? Confused

make sure she understands that PSC is a commercial site. You may not be making any money from your chops, or may not be in the running for a given prize, but the site is considered a commercial site. Many people don't want their original used on commercial sites...

ANYWAY, I was asked to speak here at this forum Wink (nods to certain young man)

I have always wanted to know more information about the source photos... couldn't we have a link added under the submitters name saying "about this source image" and then that would popup a little window stating that who the photographer is (or artist in the case of the crayon lighthouse), when the photo was taken, any copyright information or usage rules or used with permission from whom (and contact info or website), and what I've always wanted to know - what we're looking and where that place is.

For example, the statue of Christ that Hal23 submitted (used in Oct. 2007) all we could see where arms & hands of a statue. The 'show & tell' info could list: Statue of Jesus. Photo by Hal23, Sanctuary of Precious Blood of Christ in Croatia. More information here: http://www.tz-ludbreg.hr/en/vjerski.asp

as far as getting the information, do you get a notice that says your image was picked or is it just a surprise when it shows up? If you get a notice, than maybe it could direct you to a place to fill in the information for the image. Otherwise you'd be storing information for a lot of images that aren't even picked to be used.

Tawiskaro

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
You know for me one of the fun things here at PSC is the fact we supply our source images, and as has been mentioned we have enough for the next 5 years or so. I would rather keep using what's ours than start getting all our source from professionals.

My 2cents

It makes no difference to me where the source images come from. In any event, Flickr is a good source for chop elements. I like Whimsea's suggestion, though. I've seen many source images here I'd like to know more about.

Tawiskaro

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 am   Reply with quote         

WhimSea wrote:
ANYWAY, I was asked to speak here at this forum Wink (nods to certain young man)

Young? I wish. Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:38 am   Reply with quote         

I agree WhimSea but to save all that info stuff do what I do.
Pm the submitter cause most of the time its there photo.

Works for me Very Happy

Tawiskaro

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:44 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
I agree WhimSea but to save all that info stuff do what I do.
Pm the submitter cause most of the time its there photo.

Works for me Very Happy

It's amazing how often I overlook the obvious. Shocked

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:27 am   Reply with quote         

I'm glad to see the discussion going on here. Blurker knows, hopefully, that I got nothing but love for the big lug. BUT I have to disagree with him.

I personally haven't been overly excited by the photos that have been coming up for daily sources much less for voting on as sources. I've come across some amazingly clear pictures that practically begged to be chopped up. Why should I horde them to myself (since I rarely chop anymore)?

Also not all of us have good cameras or even the knowledge/skill to take a good photo that could be used for a source. Unless Thierry, Reinier, Ledirlo, etc. want to give us all free photography lessons? Twisted Evil

I like the idea of having more information about the picture. PMs are an option but who wants to answer a bunch of PMs about a pic? Especially if it's a pic we submitted months ago and may no longer remember the details? Some of the pics I've submitted have come from friends/family who know about my hobby and thought the PSC'ers would like to chop the pics up.

I've also come across several photos where the owner, like this instance, has given permission for the image to be used but wants their name/site to be given credit for the origins of the photo. I think this would not only breed goodwill with the photographers but could also drive up traffic/view for both sites.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Attributing copyright on sources? - Reply to topic