Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Help on pc problem- running slow very slow - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:00 pm   Reply with quote         

To edit the registry (if you want to) goto: Start>Run. Then type in "regedit".

That's it.

*Note: I DO NOT recommend editing the registry unless you know what you're doing.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:20 pm   Reply with quote         

WHOA! Don't even THINK of going into regedit if you don't know what you're doing. Bad mojo that idea is.

You ran some good things but you could/should also try Spybot Search & Destroy. Install it, get all the updates for it, then run it and let it fix everything it finds. It will "complain" about AdAware. Don't worry about it and just click OK on the message that comes up. There's lots of things that I've seen Spybot catch that AdAware didn't (and I've seen the vice versa of that). So running both is a 1-2 punch IMPO.

Also check into CCleaner and use it's built-in Registry analyzer. Let it fix what it can fix.

Then let me know how the computer's running. Cool

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 pm   Reply with quote         

People bring me computers that have viruses a lot.

One program that I like to use is called Combofix. Has worked pretty well for me. Google it and find out about it if you like. Here's the direct download link:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

*edit: To be clear...I use it only in conjunction with the other stuff people have mentioned previously in this thread and not every day or anything. Just to help jump start the virus solving process.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:51 pm   Reply with quote         

rashdog wrote:
People bring me computers that have viruses a lot.

One program that I like to use is called Combofix. Has worked pretty well for me. Google it and find out about it if you like. Here's the direct download link:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

*edit: To be clear...I use it only in conjunction with the other stuff people have mentioned previously in this thread and not every day or anything. Just to help jump start the virus solving process.

Sweet! Haven't heard of that program before. One more arrow for the quiver. Cool

splodge

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:01 pm   Reply with quote         

what about 'hijackthis' bring out the big guns before you re-format, there's aoutomated hijackthis log readers on the net now that will only point you at the very worst files, or post the log on pleepingcomputers.com and let the pro's tell you what to delete

Hallcross Toots

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:30 pm   Reply with quote         

okay I ran the search and destroy it found a boodle of stuff that Lavasoft hadn't picked up on. I did NOT notice any warnings about Lavasoft being installed. So if it complained I did not see it. I immunized the system and hope it helps. I haven't yet noticed anything faster but I haven't rebooted yet so I may try that and see if I get that black screen again. Very Happy

then I may advance on down the line with the next recommendation.. lol.. I've been busy bee with you guys!

edit*** it passed the reboot test... went up with no problems and wow much faster....... thanks thanks everyone

I read the stuff on Combofix... says you must really know what you're doing once you use it to post the results on the bleeping site and let them help you figure out what you are dealing with. Sounds like some powerhouse of a virus removal... they were very hush hush about it at the bleep site. I don't think I have the expertise for that one but Tofu probably can handle it.

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:27 am   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
I read the stuff on Combofix... says you must really know what you're doing once you use it to post the results on the bleeping site and let them help you figure out what you are dealing with. Sounds like some powerhouse of a virus removal... they were very hush hush about it at the bleep site. I don't think I have the expertise for that one but Tofu probably can handle it.

If you keep having problems, pm me and I'll help you through it. It's not really hard at all to run though. Well, at least it wasn't two weeks ago. I think they update it fairly regularly...could have changed since then. Good luck! Smile

janetdog

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:32 am   Reply with quote         

Before you go all crazy with software, Have you cleaned your computer lately? Living in the dusty desert, My computer acts up if I'm not diligent in cleaning the fans. I've also killed a few power supplies. Every time for a few weeks before the power supplies cooked, The computer ran like poop and had unusual errors. Good Luck.

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:52 am   Reply with quote         

janetdog wrote:
Before you go all crazy with software, Have you cleaned your computer lately? Living in the dusty desert, My computer acts up if I'm not diligent in cleaning the fans. I've also killed a few power supplies. Every time for a few weeks before the power supplies cooked, The computer ran like poop and had unusual errors. Good Luck.

very true

I was getting a black screen/blinking cursor once. Opened up case, vacuumed/dusted around my video card and no problems thereafter.

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:01 am   Reply with quote         

Good point J-dog. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't clean my PC regularly. Anytime I throw a new component in I do but that's not very often.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Help on pc problem- running slow very slow - Reply to topic