Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - The Votings - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

kinetic_be

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Been thinking for a while to make a topic about this (I'm sure it's been done before though)
What bothers me a little bit is the voting-system on PSC.
I'm bothered by it in the way that in my opinion it advantages and disadvantages people's works.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to make a yell, whining complain topic, but this forum is called 'Brainstorming, ideas to make PSC better... etc' so here is my thought:

I think votings should be changed to scores. Every picture can be given a score from 1 to 10 (like visitors can do at the moment) and this can be done 24 times aswell.
This system should give a much better idea about the quality of the image.
Also, I would like to see NO NOMES above the image posted so nobody can see who made it until the contest ends.
This would change a lot I think.
Not only would it prevent 'friends posting for friends and ignoring the rest' scores, but also take away etiquettes.
With this I mean 'Oh look, it's ********, he/she is so good at PS, it doesn't matter what the image looks like, I'll vote for him/her anyway because I'm sure it wasn't easy'.
Or 'This person sucks at PS but he made something not that bad this time so he/she gets my vote'.
Knowing who made something often influences the voter's decision, this goes for everything, not just PSC and that's something what should be filtered away if you want a more clean, central voting-system where the voter is influenced by nothing more then the image itself, no outside elements.

So: Scores from 1-10 & no names from authors until after the contest.

I'm writing this because I believe in 100% honest competitions and I have always disliked it when these were influenced too much.
I also believe that for everyone it would be much more satisfying if you would get a score that truely belongs to you, chosen objectively, not influenced by friend-votes or popularity-votes.

Any feedback would be appreciated and don't forget, it's just an idea.

anfa

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 pm   Reply with quote         

It's too big to read. It's the weekend and I'm drunk so I can't be bothered with it! Sorry!Laughing

annajon

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:24 pm   Reply with quote         

That has been talked about before, K.

cafn8d

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:41 pm   Reply with quote         

There are other image manipulation sites that rate anonymous chops exactly that way. PSC's voting method is one small part of what makes this site different. (Whether or not our voting method is "better" is certainly a matter of opinoin.) Of course there are flaws in our voting system. There are flaws in EVERY voting system, and there will ALWAYS be people somehow taking advantage of that.

I know many people, including myself, would like to see regular anonymous contests, regardless of whether there are prizes. Some people would like to have every contest anonymous. No matter what, half the site will be up-in-arms over ANY changes. Just can't please everyone.

So while you have good points and a valid opinion, brace yourself for the hornets' nest to likely get stirred up and still no changes to come of it. Of course, new(ish) owner Procyon is NOT JMH and may yet surprise us all... (and infuriate half the site.) Rolling Eyes

splodge

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:43 pm   Reply with quote         

this is an oficial warning anna, chang that avatar, you are bringing the site down, valentines was a month ago

Hallcross Toots
cafn8d

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:59 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
this is an oficial warning anna, chang that avatar, you are bringing the site down, valentines was a month ago

A cheerful, lucky bouquet for Anna--still with a touch of blue. Wink:

Happy March!

annajon

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Is it happy March? Finally? OK, I will make a new avatar then.

annajon

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:05 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:

Yes Sir, Mister splodge, working on it right now, SIR!!!!

FootFungas

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:07 pm   Reply with quote         

we don't want a voting system like W1K.

kinetic_be

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:08 pm   Reply with quote         

I just noticed that the Prize-contests have anonymous voting systems, so it's not something what would be 'new' here.

annajon

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:10 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, depressing avy gone, kiss ass avy on.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

But, it does not show up on the front page.... why?

annajon

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:17 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, the frontpage was a little late, thats all

And, I would not mind anonimous contests at all. It does not matter to me one way or the other, but it is more fun, in an anonimous contest, because then you can guess who donnit

dumbat

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:17 pm   Reply with quote         

i agree we should have regular anon contests, prizes or not. we have the system in place to do it, and it'd add to the (already huge) excitement of the contests

kinetic_be

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:19 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
OK, the frontpage was a little late, thats all

And, I would not mind anonimous contests at all. It does not matter to me one way or the other, but it is more fun, in an anonimous contest, because then you can guess who donnit

Didn't think about the 'fun' factor of anonimous contests yet in that way anna. Good point too!

anfa

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:33 pm   Reply with quote         

When I first came here the contests where anon. I'd love to see it come back. I made my name here with anonemous contest. Now it's too easy to make your name because everyone can see it! ;P

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - The Votings - Reply to topic